Boxing vs muay thai stance

There is some talk about banning it. A 48year old died in the ring and I think a 52yo died as well in the last couple of years.
The problem is some gyms give you a 8-12 week boxing course and then let you fight with no real experience.

It's probably unfair for me to fight in these fights because I've had considerably more training despite never having a sanctioned fight.

You can always just do enough to win. lol The unfair thing is when guys with more experience but without sanctioned fights come in and blast their opposition from start to finish. Makes my stomach turn in the worst way.

Good question. I'm not sure tbh I don't think you carry your record with you. From the limited info on the website it says after 5 fights you have to either fight as amatuer or turn pro. But I'm too old to fight amatuer. I'm 42 and the cut off point is 38 in think

Oh ok. That's interesting. Perhaps there is a "Masters Division"? If you had an interest in competing ammys following corporate boxing run I would submit for a waiver, and list your experience in corporate boxing. At least in the U.S. they do consider waivers. I'm not at the cut off age yet so I don't know the specifics.

HOWEVER,

Our head coach is 77, won a Ringside title in his 60s. I sparred with him in his 60s, and his ring IQ is on another level. His conditioning isn't bad either. That ring IQ is invaluable. Fight smarter not harder. Thanks for the conversation. Good luck.

You can always just do enough to win. lol The unfair thing is when guys with more experience but without sanctioned fights come in and blast their opposition from start to finish. Makes my stomach turn in the worst way.
Yeah Some of the fighters have barely sparred before and it looks like a slugfest for the 1st few minutes then they both gass out and can barely throw a punch. I think I could win on cardio alone.be defensive then just pick a few selective shots. But who knows I've never had a fight in the ring I've done some hard sparring But some of the events draw a big crowd. Under the spotlight I might not do as well as I should

Yeah Some of the fighters have barely sparred before and it looks like a slugfest for the 1st few minutes then they both gass out and can barely throw a punch. I think I could win on cardio alone.be defensive then just pick a few selective shots. But who knows I've never had a fight in the ring I've done some hard sparring But some of the events draw a big crowd. Under the spotlight I might not do as well as I should

Fights are like sparring but faster, and more looks to finish. If it's a dark room, and you fight under a spotlight it will feel noticeably hotter in the ring. Amateur can get called for a stoppage far quicker than pros. A hard shot followed by being disoriented could be enough to wave it. Seeing that there was the death that occurred I believed you mentioned, you may see more "early" stops.

My advice: control the pace, don't fight at the other guys' pace, and remember it will seem like forever when you're in there, but when it's over it will seem like it was quick. The third round is where guys typically get gassed. You can steal it in the third and make a good impression.

All things considered you'll probably be fighting at around 75-80% your max heart rate, so gear at least part of your training to that. Remember, fatigue isn't when you feel tired, true fatigue is when you can't physically do something anymore from an exercise physiology standpoint.

The reasons people stop before truly reaching fatigue are varied but it's usually a mental block, and not a physical one. The body is uncomfortable and wants to be comfortable again (homeostasis).

Back