Breaking Bad: Explain the whole ricin thing to me please (spoilers)

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I've binged watched breaking bad about 4 times now and I still don't fully grasp the events revolving around the poising of Brock.

Here is what I gather:

• Walt wants Jesse to kill Gus with ricin. Jesse puts the ricin in his cigerette

• Jesse doesn't kill Gus with the ricin. Instead he "goes back" to the side of Gus and Mike

• In order to bring Jesse back to his side, Walt comes up with a plan: he has Saul steal Jesse's ricin cigarette.

• Brock gets poisined. Jesse notices his missing cigarette. He blames Walt and almost kills him

• Walt convinces Jesse that Gus is the one who poisoned Brock. Jesse joins Walt's side again.

• Jesse finds out it was a certain flower that kills Brock. Walt is the one that uses the flower on Brock. Jesse and Walt blow up Gus.

• Later Walt and Jesse find the ricin in Jesse's vacuum thing (planted by Walt I assume)

Is all this correct? Now my question is what's the deal with this scene? What does Jesse discover, and why does he go ape shit on Walt?

What’s better is when Walt uses the ricin laced stevia to kill the chemical warehouse woman.

I can't wait until next season. I feel like I haven't seen it in years..

So now I'm just watching Mad Men..

He made the realization that Huell picked his pocket previously and that's when he connected the dots on the Brock incident.

I haven't watched it in awhile but in that scene I think he puts it together that Saul's henchman picked his pocket for his weed so he did it with the Ricin.

He made the realization that Huell picked his pocket previously and that's when he connected the dots on the Brock incident.

Ok but why get mad at Walt? It wasn't ricin that poisoned Brock. It was a flower. And Jesse knew that. So why try to burn down Walt's house?

Ok but why get mad at Walt? It wasn't ricin that poisoned Brock. It was a flower. And Jesse knew that. So why try to burn down Walt's house?

Jesse found the flower growing in Walt's backyard IIRC.

I haven't watched it in awhile but in that scene I think he puts it together that Saul's henchman picked his pocket for his weed so he did it with the Ricin.
This sounds right. And I think that's the event that pushed Jesse over the edge to rat out Walt to the DEA and give them the evidence and location of Walt. I don't remember if that's the timeline exactly or not.

I just remember thinking that it wasn't plausible that Jesse would have put all of that together. One of the very few times in the series that a character stepped out of line.

I just remember thinking that it wasn't plausible that Jesse would have put all of that together. One of the very few times in the series that a character stepped out of line.

He didn't really pull a Sherlock, he just had a sudden realization upon seeing the flowers in Walt's lawn. The rest of it was him being manipulated from both sides.

He didn't really pull a Sherlock, he just had a sudden realization upon seeing the flowers in Walt's lawn. The rest of it was him being manipulated from both sides.
I don't remember him seeing the lily of the valley at all. That makes a lot more sense. Excuse to binge the series imo.

I don't remember him seeing the lily of the valley at all. That makes a lot more sense. Excuse to binge the series imo.

I might be misremembering. I remember explicitly seeing it in Walt's backyard. It was an ending shot to an episode. I think it was because Jesse spotted it, but I could be wrong.

7LYrv1.gif

I might be misremembering. I remember explicitly seeing it in Walt's backyard. It was an ending shot to an episode. I think it was because Jesse spotted it, but I could be wrong.

Yeah that scene was when Walt was alone in his backyard. Are you sure Jesse saw those flowers?

I believe Walt is sitting in a chair and jesse is not present during the shot.

Copied from somewhere else

What Jesse put together: Last night, Jesse realized Huell pick-pocketed his weed, and that might as well have turned on a cartoon lightbulb over his head. In season four's penultimate episode, "End Times," the one where Jesse's girlfriend's son Brock gets rushed to the hospital, Jesse also thought Huell had pick-pocketed him, that time lifting the pack of smokes that contained the ricin cigarette and replacing it with a non-ricin pack. This is exactly what happened, but Walt convinced Jesse that he was wrong, that the ricin-pack must have been stolen out of his locker in Gus's lab, and that Gus was therefore behind Brock's poisoning. Walt was very convincing, and if there's anything we know about the Walt-Jesse dynamic, it's that Jesse is virtually powerless against Walt's manipulations. Just ask Gale! Jesse did what Jesse does and substituted Walt's ideas and judgement for his own ideas and judgement, and thus assured himself that Gus must be behind the missing ricin.

After Jesse learns that Brock was not in fact exposed to ricin, he panics. That means Gus didn't steal the poison — that perhaps Jesse just lost it, meaning an innocent person could theoretically be exposed to it. The ever-sensitive Jesse is beside himself, and he calls Walt for help. (Oy, always a mistake.) Walt, who in fact has the real ricin vial, creates a fake ricin cigarette that he then plants and "finds" in Jesse's house. This gives Jesse peace of mind but also continues the gas-lighting process by which Walt teaches Jesse that Jesse's own ideas are bad, wrong, dangerous, stupid, and short-sighted and that Walt's are smart and for the common good. It's part of how Walt has conditioned Jesse, the way lots of abusers condition their victims. At the end of the search for the ricin cigarette, a sobbing Jesse apologizes to Walt. That's how much Walt can control Jesse! So, so much!

Which brings us back to "Confession." Jesse had finally confronted Walt, finally accused him of lying, finally said that Walt killed Mike, finally tried again to stand up for himself. And Walt went in for a hug. (World's most manipulative embrace.) Walt tells Jesse he should disappear, start a new life, let Saul wipe his slate clean and call the vacuum repairman. And as Jesse stands at the side of the road waiting for his escape hatch, he sees that his baggie of weed is missing, and he realizes that Huell took it out of his pocket on orders from Saul. Saul had yelled at him, Huell had patted him down — it made complete sense.

So what we have so far in the episode is (1) Jesse allowing himself to recognize how much Walt has lied to him, and (2) Jesse realizing that Huell is a good pickpocket. That's when, in a moment of clarity, Jesse knows he's been right all along: Huell did lift the ricin-pack back in season four, and the big guy was not working for Gus. Huell did that at Walt's behest. That means Walt was behind Brock's poisoning, and Jesse had been manipulated yet again.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/jesse-breaking-bad-ricin-cigarettes.html

Yeah that scene was when Walt was alone in his backyard. Are you sure Jesse saw those flowers?

I don't think Jesse saw them. I think he pieced it together after he got pickpocketed the 2nd time by Huell. He started thinking about why Gus would want to hurt Brock or alienate Jesse b/c Gus needed Jesse at that time to cook his meth.

Then Walt coincidentally finds the "ricin" cigarette that Jesse couldn't find after looking everywhere including in the roomba.

Jesse had a suspiscion and went back to Saul and threatened him at gunpoint to tell the truth if Walt was being the charade.

I beleive that's how it happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back