News BREAKING NEWS Yoel Romero Out Of The UFC!!!!

Yoel isn't the best anymore. That's the point.. He's old, 1-4, and being paid $380,000. That's main event money, and he's not a main event fighter anymore.

Imagine you have to pay your mechanic 6 figures but he's old and gotten worse with unsteady hands, so he can only do the job as good as mid career guys making $50K.. You'd still pay him 6 figures just because you had him for 10 years??

No way. You're a hypocrite!

But evil Dana capitalist pig or something.
How retarded are you dude? He literally fought for the title in his last fight and hasn't been in a fight outside the Top 5 since 2014.
Congrats on continuing to cloud the realm between delusion and disingenuous garbage.

I would like him to get testosterone directly from gay jesus and fight at a place that doesn't test for it

Good now he can replace the no neck guy from The Rocky Horror Picture Show and teach people how to do the timewarp when they watch it in Spanish.
20201204_233126.png

Its a failure on part of both UFC and Yoel's manager. Somebody like him should only be fighting in UFC.

I wonder if Yoel popped for something and the ufc was like, dude you’re 43, suspending you for 2 years is essentially a retirement. So they let him go so he can fight somewhere else in his twilight years. Honestly he’s at an age where any fight could be his last. UFC probably realized this And figured the dude could probably beat a younger fighter and kill off a prospect. Yoel has 1 or 2 years tops. Father Time is coming for him

That didn't stop them from keeping Werdum on the shelf for 2 years after he asked to be released.

That wasn't the case though with Branch, or CB Dollaway who ended up in Rizin getting KO'd while wearing his wrestling shoes.

100%
Also fans are definitely tuning in to watch him fight.
Especially without usada

40+ fighters don’t belong in USADA. The human body just isn’t made to perform like a 20-30s athlete... but throw that Vitamin T in the mix and you can maybe squeeze another gem out.

Yoel is a beast, let’s see him be a beast mode Uber Yoel.

I wonder if age has something to do with it? Dana said along those lines at one of the post fight press conference he is not a fan of fighters fighting into their 40s and is a young man's game.

They do look for new young and up and coming talent so its the direction they are going.

Romero has good fights waiting in Bellator. A rematch against Machida, a fight against Mousasi at MW. Other good options at LHW. It was best for Romero to move on. He was not going to get another title shot in the UFC. Dana did him a favour to release him. He can make a run at a title in another organization.

Last edited:
In which organization are they gonna fight because both of them are released from the UFC
Well that was the point that both are released so they can fight in some other organization.

Bellator, One, whatever.

I honestly thought Yoel beat Adesanya. Had it even going into the 5th but Yoel did enough in the last flurry to edge it out.

IMO, they just lost the number 1 MW in the world.

I claim the gate as being largely significant as it is most likely the primary revenue used to cover fight purses, event staff, flights, hotels, etc., and has been known to surpass net PPV revenue.

The lack of crowds also takes away merchandise sales during an event, which is no doubt a significant loss in and of itself. Also, gates are easier to forecast the net on and the funds become available much faster than PPV sales.

Venues are paid a flat fee for use. Ticket vendors get a small percentage of sales, UFC gets the rest. The cost/expense margin is much better than PPV sales.

PPV providers typically get 50% of sales, and UFC PPVs are primarily only sold in North America, and not every event is a PPV. However, every single event would typically have a live gate and merch sales.

PPV events are available elsewhere around the world either for free or included in a subscription to a premium sports channel/package, due to drastic time zone variances.

A PPV that does 500k buys, selling for $60 is a $30 million dollar gross. After the provider's cut, $15 million, less if you have a fighter or a couple fighters taking a dollar or two per sale. Now subtract taxes to get your net and the gate and merch sales become much more significant.

Dana's hesitation to book Conor without a gate was sincere and probably one of his most honest moments.

None of any of that took into consideration overhead costs of daily operations in general.

Not to mention the absurd amounts of money WME is hemorrhaging out to their celebrity investors on a frequent basis.

Gates are a big deal.

On the note of Yoel. Imo your thoughts on Yoel's perceived value versus the size of his paycheck are likely what put him out. Both sides were probably working for some kind of middle ground for Yoel to continue with the UFC and just couldn't come to terms.
Sorry I'm not going to correct all the issues with your post, nor address how you've added and moved goalposts, but let me just touch on a couple of the big ones:

1. Pretty much everything you wrote in regards to PPV revenue is not accurate, at least since the ESPN deal (if it ever was). PPV revenue was a significant portion of revenue back in 2000-2011, but then became less so with the Fox deal, and REAL less so with the ESPN. To the point that the UFC doesn't even get ANY additional revenue from most PPVs - they exchanged the PPV feast/famine for the higher guaranteed income that ESPN gives them, with ESPN now being the main benefactor of PPV sales. The UFC doesn;'t make a dime from PPV sales until certain sales thresholds are hit (and most PPVs don't hit it). Estimates are the PPV has to sell 200k (some reports say it's 300k, which IMO is probably the more accurate number) to get ANY addition revenue from ESPN, and even then, it's not the split like it used to be with the cable/satellite companies. Do you know how many PPV say >200k? (or 300k?) Take 2018 for example, if you remove UFC229 the rest of the PPVs averaged just 284k. Of the 39 events in 2018, only 5 sold more than 300k (that's including the Khabib-McGregor card).

UFC PPV revenue in a nutshell:
  • Pre 2000 low sales but huge % of total revenue.
  • 2000-2011 consistent sales increases year-over-year (PPV sales = ~50% of revenue)
  • 2011-2018 PPV sales as a percentage of Total Revenue drops as total revenue goes up (Fox deal in the US,additional sponsorships, and non-PPV TV rights internationally drive Total Revenue up)
  • 2019+ The ESPN deal makes the single biggest change to the UFC revenue in it's history. Not only does TV revenue go up tremendously, but delivery method, PPV revenue, etc. are all changed drastically. Revenue from PPVs is now down to the lowest percentage of Total Revenue it's ever been.
Here's a chart (not mine) that somewhat shows what happened to PPV revenue as a percentage of Total Revenue:
UFC_PPV_as_share_of_total_revenue.png

2. Year after year gate revenue has been about 10% of revenue. For instance, revenue in 2019 was about $900M yet gate was somewhere around $70M (7.8%). In 2018 revenue was >$600M yet gate was just $66.8M (at best, 11.1% - way lower without the Khabib-Conor fight). 2017 gate was about 6.1% ($44.7M out of ~$735M). In 2016 gate was 13.3% ($88.8M out of $666M). With the ESPN deal and other deals (sponsorships, revenue streams, etc.) in the future, gate is going to continue to be a smaller and smaller percentage of Total Revenue. Not because people aren't going to events (when there's not a pandemic), but because Total Revenue is increasing at an amazing rate yet total gate stays about the same (it fluctuates, but it doesn't really grow).

If you review financial filings and released data that's available, you'll see that ticket sales (gate) is on average only about 10% or revenue, and merchandise sales is a tiny amount. In 2006 merchandise was 3.2% of total revenue, or $5.7M, but in 2015 it was only $4M (Event Merch). $5.7M out of $609M in total revenue = merch was less than 1% of revenue!

Looking at 2015 revenue for instance (data is easily available due to the UFC sale):
  • Total Revenue was $609M and gate was only 12.5% of that.
UFC_2015_Revenue_Sources___609_Million_Total_Revenue_.png

Not to mention the absurd amounts of money WME is hemorrhaging out to their celebrity investors on a frequent basis.
Frequent basis?

Since the sale (and thus the "Celebrity Investors" became a thing) there's been exactly ONE dividend payment. That payout was earlier this year and was for $300M. Half went to Endeavor, with the other half going to everyone else (celebrities, Dana, Ari, Silverlake, etc. all getting a cut that varies based on the size of their ownership slice)

Look, let's just agree to disagree. I'm not much of a fan of posting, and even if I was, my parents taught my that if I don't have anything nice to say...

He most likely was not cut. Doesnt make sense. Perhaps wanted a raise and figured Bellator or KSW would pay him better.

I honestly thought Yoel beat Adesanya. Had it even going into the 5th but Yoel did enough in the last flurry to edge it out.

IMO, they just lost the number 1 MW in the world.

Izzy still won that fight. And look at Yoel’s fights with Rob and Costa. And then compare it with what Izzy did to them. It’s pretty clear who’s the #1 MW in the world is and sure it’s not Yoel. Dude is 1-4 in his last 5

They would never release him if he was suspended by USADA

They didn't even let a washed Werdum go until his contract ran out

that guy is a champion who beat the best and lost to the best. Yoel is not great but he is cool

Back