News BREAKING NEWS Yoel Romero Out Of The UFC!!!!

205 in Belloltor would make sense. Bwoi.

Dude went from having a fight scheduled, to pulling out of the fight with no reason given, and then outta the UFC. Idk, to me it seems kinda obvious that he popped.

<DontBelieve1>

I don't believe it because then the Anderson Silva situation just doesn't make sense. There's no way Bellator/ PFL/ ONE don't want ANDERSON SILVA.
It makes perfect sense. Anderson does not have a contract with the UFC, he is not required to wait a set amount of time before signing somewhere else. He is currently 100% a free agent.

UFC execs, especially Dana, looked at how bad Silva performed against a guy that brought negative amounts of aggression to the fight and realized that he could potentially get wrecked versus damn near anyone other than Hall. Other promoters watched the fight and drew the same conclusion.

Not to mention, Silva is 2-7 and 1 NC due to a failed test over his last 10 fights, and those wins were over Brunson and Bonnar; 3 years ago and 8 years ago respectively.

Signing Anderson 5-10 years ago would've been like winning the lottery, for any promotion.

Signing him today would be a terrible decision, for any promotion.

Which other fighter, especially with Anderson's legacy have you seen all promotions make statements, the same day they become a free agent, that they will not pursue a signing? Not one, ever.

Not one well known, financially stable, respectable promotion wants to be the reason Anderson gets his ass kicked, or even seriously hurt, for no reason other than some PPV sales. Nothing good would come of that, it's bad for business. Especially since Dana will attempt to slay any promotion that picks him up, every chance he gets. They've almost all also stated that they are currently more focused on developing new, young talent from within their promotions, and less on signing older names.

Most regional promotions can't afford him, and the ones that can won't touch him with someone else's money. Largely for the same reasons the majors won't.

It's sad to say, but at this point, there's very little to gain from having Anderson Silva on your roster.

wise move. he knows his window to get a ufc belt has closed. notwithstanding, unlike anderson silva, i think yoel has a few more miles left in him before he conks out. perhaps he will try to go for a championship run for one last time somewhere else. or maybe not. who knows.

but there will be takers.

A couple things:

1. @Rear Naked Toke and others mention "Live gate" for reasons for UFC decisions (Conor not fighting, Yoel leaving the UFC, etc.) yet more often than not, the gate has ZERO to do with anything.

In 2019 the UFC had total revenue of about $900M, yet the live gate was only about $70M of that $900M (so only about 7.8%).

THE best live gate year was 2016, when Conor fought 3 times and he was at the absoute peak of his drawing power (UFC 205 had a live gate of $17.7M whereas the average UFC event has a live gate of more like $1.7M). While that $17.7M sounds impressive, that is far from the norm, even for Conor. At #2 all time was Khabib-Conor with $17.2M, #3 was GSP-Shield with $12.1M way back in 2011, and #4 was McGregor-Cerrone which sold $11M and gate totals keep dropping from there.

Hell, in the list of Nevada's Top 35 UFC live gates, only 3 were in 2019 (the highest being $6M) and only 2 were in 2018 (Khabib -Conor @ 17.2M and DC-Stipe @ $5.7M).

# of Nevada Top 35 Live Gates (UFC) by year:
  • 2019 - 3
  • 2018 - 2
  • 2017 - 0
  • 2016 - 4
  • 2015 - 5
  • 2014 - 1
  • 2013 - 3
  • 2012 - 2
  • 2011 - 2
  • 2010 - 2
  • 2009 - 2
  • 2008 - 3
  • 2007 - 2
  • 2006 - 3 (2 of which were #34 & #35, each bringing in less than $3.4M)

Put another way, live gate by year has been:
  • 2019 - Approx. $70M total from 42 events ($1.7M average)
  • 2018 - $66.8M from 39 events ($1.7M average - $1.3M average without the Conor card)
  • 2017 - $44.7M from 39 events ($1.1M average)
  • 2016 - $88.8M from 41 events ($2.2M average)
So Live gate averages well less than $2M per event, and that's why the UFC is on pace to have their most profitable year ever in 2020, even though Conor hasn't fought and there's a pandemic with no live audiences.

2. There are a number of possibe reasons for Yoel leaving the UFC:
  • He could've failed a test and due to pressure/circumstances Malki was able to get him released.
  • He (via Malki) could have pressured to get out of the contract, and rather than test how binding the contract in court, the UFC decided to just let him go.
  • The UFC could have cut him due to costs (though that's not unheard of for the UFC to cut someone with fights remaining on their contract, it has been done). If they feel that his value doesn't warrant offering him fights, then cutting him is a smarter PR move than having a contentious problem of a disgruntled fighter, with ties to so many other UFC fighters, dragging things out into the open via media.
To me the interesting thing is the words used. It's not reported that he was "cut", but that they "parted ways". That means (to me) that it was an empass of sorts and that the UFC felt it was in their best interest to not be drug through the mud publicly. Whether Yoel and the UFC differ on his pay, he popped for another "tainted supplement", or if finding him an opponent is challenging, or most likely because the UFC said in no uncertain terms that he will not get another title shot, and so Yoel would rather walk. Whatever the cause I'm POSITIVE the UFC did what's best for them, and therefore they feel that having Yoel leave the UFC and immediately be available to competitors (assuming there's no pending failed USADA result) was the best for the UFC.

Which brings me to one final possible reason. If Yoel wants out of the UFC, and I could see that if he really wants to become Champ before retiring then he has to go elsewhere, allowing him to "amicably" leave is in the best interest of the UFC. So far the UFC has avoided any real legal troubles with contracts, I.C. classifications, shady practices, monopoly, etc. But, eventually someone will file a more valid case and allowing Yoel to leave will be a nice data point to use to defend their practices/behavior. That and it's keeps things from turning ugly in public.

Yoel's out of the UFC = Jones and his "substantial assistance" strikes again!
<JonesLaugh><JonesDXSuckIt><JonesLaugh>

gate keeper

he was only popular because of rogan hype

There's probably more to the story, something's up

Doubtful that the UFC contract is void and he's now free to sign with another promotion. Doesn't the UFC have exclusive matching rights for 12 months after they "cut" someone? So he's earning $380,000 per fight in the UFC now when he's cut. But if another promotion offers him $200,000 in the next 12 months, the UFC has automatic rights to sign him again for $200,000. Right?

So IMO if the UFC just doesn't want to pay Yoel $380K, this is a very smart move for them. They could avoid paying him, but also not risk losing him. Very smart decision if that's how the contracts work.

I think that's how cuts/ releases work. I think that's why no one's signing Anderson Silva right now.
That's NOT how it works at all.

The UFC only retain matching rights for a set period of time after a fighter's contract has expired.

When they release someone, that fighter is free to sign with whomever they choose.

Dude went from having a fight scheduled, to pulling out of the fight with no reason given, and then outta the UFC. Idk, to me it seems kinda obvious that he popped.

It would seem a bit strange to release him in that situation though, normally the UFC doesn't do that with valuable fighters as by keeping them under contract they can stop them fighting to anyone else.

I wonder if Yoel popped for something and the ufc was like, dude you’re 43, suspending you for 2 years is essentially a retirement. So they let him go so he can fight somewhere else in his twilight years. Honestly he’s at an age where any fight could be his last. UFC probably realized this And figured the dude could probably beat a younger fighter and kill off a prospect. Yoel has 1 or 2 years tops. Father Time is coming for him

I wonder if Yoel popped for something and the ufc was like, dude you’re 43, suspending you for 2 years is essentially a retirement. So they let him go so he can fight somewhere else in his twilight years. Honestly he’s at an age where any fight could be his last. UFC probably realized this And figured the dude could probably beat a younger fighter and kill off a prospect. Yoel has 1 or 2 years tops. Father Time is coming for him

That seems abnormally charitable for Dana.

Too bad. He was fun and there were still some fun legacy fights to be had. For instance, I'm not conducting the Khamzat hype train, but if if Chimaev proves to as good as people suspect he is, then him fighting Yoel would have been fireworks.

That seems abnormally charitable for Dana.
That’s why I highly doubt it, but you never know, maybe Dana saw it more as prudent, A, he doesn’t have to pay Yoel, and honestly Yoel had his chance in the ufc, but yeah, that sounds almost too charitable for Dana, but it’s the season,

giphy.gif
upload_2020-12-5_1-14-56.png
upload_2020-12-5_1-15-25.png

VS

upload_2020-12-5_1-18-20.png
upload_2020-12-5_1-18-43.png

giphy.gif

Yoel was in the position where he had the potential to beat all the other contenders in the division while at the same time, probably not having much time left in his career.

Great as he is, you could see how he might stagnate the division. I think others have been released under similar circumstances.

Not necessarily a bad thing for Yoel, he gets paid wherever he goes and now a new pool of opponents opens up.

That makes zero sense, he's easily a top 5 middleweight in the world and has only lost razor close decisions to the absolute best in the world.
Nothing you said remotely addresses what I said.

It's time for him to move on with his life. Cagefighting is a young man's game. He has 3 children. He's never met his son in person. For now, he has two daughters with him. He should spend his time with them. He looks to be in the insurance game, he can generate money through coaching revenues, consistent revenue streams to help him get an EB-5 if he doesn't have one already, reunite his son and move on in life. Fighting represents a lot of time away from family, a lot of injury and head trauma, a lot of wear and tear. It's not what a 43 year old should be doing. When they say the parties have parted ways, I agree with that characterization. It's not necessarily that one party dumped the other, both parties have different things in mind. They don't need to continue to tie each other up.

Back