BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Reboot

Dude I think you're misunderstanding me. I am NOT against them having a black Buffy. Not at all. Like I said they already had 2 black vampire slayers on the show and I didn't care one bit. And I don't care that this new Buffy will be black because I have a problem with a black girl being a vampire slayer. I DO have a problem with WHY they are choosing to go this route with the casting. You and I and everybody with any common sense knows WHY they are going with a black girl....and I'll remind you that nobody has even auditioned yet. They just decided that this Buffy will be black. So ask yourself why?

They (Hollywood) is pandering to you and imo it's so unbelievably obvious it's insulting. And I think it SHOULD be insulting to you. Come on man be real. Do you really think they give a crap about telling a black story here.....or do you think it's more of a politically correct, sjw type of statement? Be honest.

THAT is what I have a problem with. I don't care if Buffy is asian, black, mexican or white. I WAS saying that the original idea of the show was a stereotypical white girl actually fighting underworld monsters, and the contradictions and humorous opportunities that premise provides. And it was. And it did. But this isn't really about race dude. It's about intellect and being able to see through bs and being able to see when you are being pandered to like a small, dull child. That, imo, is what they are doing here. They are appeasing sjw's and shouting "hey look at us we are politically correct woo hoo!" It's insulting.

Tbh either way i don't think it'll matter. I'd bet every dime I have this reboot will never, ever, ever hold a candle to the original anyway. And that is NOT because of race. It's because the original was....original. And groundbreaking. It was freaking outstanding.
Agent Mulder, meet Monica. Monica, meet Agent Mulder.
download (5).jpeg
This is the writer and showrunner for the this new Buffy show. She don't look white to me. So......who exactly would she be pandering to?
She's a black woman that wants to tell the Buffy story through the eyes of a black female.

And even if the writer and showrunner was white, it is incredibly sad that you think there aren't white people that actually care to see how another person sees life. You don't have to be black to care about a character or show, or message. It hasn't stopped me from enjoying all the shows written and starred in by white people
You people are too caught up in these SJW witch hunts. This should be a complete non-issue

Last edited:
What do numbers have to do with anything ? This isn't a census. How many white girls do you know named Buffy? How many vampire slayers are there? Is there not a single black girl on the planet named Buffy?
This is a stupid line of reasoning. The story is about a black girl named Buffy. I could make a show about a black girl named Zaltana, and nobody is going to go"uhhh how many black girls are named Zaltana?"
In a tv show about a girl with super powers that kills vampires, you find a black girl being named Buffy the most ridiculous thing? You really think that makes sense?

And I'll tell you, like ive told others in this thread. MANY black people have "white" names. African Americans names came from their slave masters. Some people have taken African names, or created their own nowadays, but there are plenty of black guys out there with white ass names like Howard, or Terrance, or Philip. So the argument that there can't be a black girl named Buffy is retarded.

Lol take your tin foil hat off for a moment and listen to reason.
What is this "checking off a box" nonsense? If i said "I want to tell a story where Batman is black. I think it would be an interesting story to see how a black Batman would see crime, and how the community would see him"
What "box" is being checked off? It has nothing to do with pandering. I think there is an interesting story that could be told with a black Batman. I'm not just changing his skin color, as a black man, he is likely not going to view things in the exact way a white guy would

As far as "make new characters" go. Think about that. It is 2018. What story HASN'T been told at this point? We are essentially telling different versions of the same story . What original vampire story could be told that hasn't been done yet? What character could i make that hasn't been done?
Why would a studio spend time and resources on creating knock-off black versions of characters, when they can just adapt the characters that already have a name? What sense does it make to greenlight an obvious copy of Buffy, instead of just keeping the name and giving her an update?

You can't just make new characters when there is already more than enough established characters in rotation. The black Spiderman and Green Lantern would've never gotten any popularity or success if they had just been called Arachnid Boy, and Green Ring, while there was an already established white Spider-Man and Green Lantern .
The irony is, is that all you people who say "make new characters", would've just bitched about the black characters being ghetto SJW versions of the white ones

I think your heart is in the right place but I also think you're taking this way too far.

Unless I'm mistaken, you don't like the original show at all, don't think much about Joss, and are only arguing the politics here.

Personally, I think Joss is brilliant and BtVS is one of my favorite shows ever. He's been responsible for some of the most epic scenes I've ever seen on television, and I love his characters.

I've never had a problem with racial changes on shows, but this feels different to me. I resent the fact she's going to be Buffy, because we had a Buffy. What matters here is the actress and the writing, not the name. The Buffyverse (second time I've ever used that term, and another tiny piece of me just died) is huge and Angel did pretty well. Why couldn't a show be about a different slayer? All that SHOULD matter is that the show is good, not what they get from name recognition.

And with all due respect, if this show had originally been called Shaniqua the Vampire Slayer and been updated with a white girl, just how do you think would have played in the media? I mean, if names and characters have no attachment to race, why does anyone complain about whitewashing?

I'm going to watch this show no matter who is cast as what, I'm just sad it's a reboot and not an extension of the original series. As a fan, I hate that they're just writing those stories out of existence.

Last edited:
I think your heart is in the right place but I also think you're taking this way too far.

Unless I'm mistaken, you don't like the original show at all, don't think much about Joss, and are only arguing the politics here.

Personally, I think Joss is brilliant and BtVS is one of my favorite shows ever. He's been responsible for some of the most epic scenes I've ever seen on television, and I love his characters.

I've never had a problem with racial changes on shows, but this feels different to me. I resent the fact she's going to be Buffy, because we had a Buffy. What matters here is the actress and the writing, not the name. The Buffyverse (second time I've ever used that term, and another tiny piece of me just died) is huge and Angel did pretty well. Why couldn't a show about a different slayer? All that SHOULD matter is that the show is good, not what the they get from name recognition.

And with all due respect, if this show had originally been called Shaniqua the Vampire Slayer and been updated with a white girl, just how do you think would have played in the media? I mean, if names and characters have no attachment to race, why does anyone complain about whitewashing?

I'm going to watch this show no matter who is cast as what, I'm just sad it's a reboot and not an extension of the original series. As a fan, I hate that they're just writing those stories out of existence.

I liked the original show, and I was a big fan of Angel. I wasn't as in love with Firefly as most, but it was a good show as well.
Whedon has done plenty of good work...in the past. (Ok, i just realized i like more of his stuff than i thought )
My references to his hackiness is more along the lines of what he's done in the present. And despite being a fan of some of his past work, I wouldn't want to see that just copy and pasted onto this new Buffy.

I think i was just being too hard on him because my last memory of his work was Avengers 2. Whedon is fine...but i can only take so much of his style in one sitting.. But everything he does just feels like its too obviously him, imo. I haven't watched Buffy since it ended...i loved it then, but i don't know if I'd still be as into it now.
And with his creepiness with women coming to the fore, and seeing how he always writes about women, it has jaded my opinion on his work a bit.

I think the race argument is ridiculous, and that is what pretty much everyone in here are arguing.
But, I can understand your argument. I don't feel strongly on it either way, but as you said, the "Buffyverse" is large, and they could easily just make a new slayer in the same universe. That would make more sense. I wouldn't argue against that. And your argument is very different from the race argument being made by most posters

If the show had been called 'Shaniqua the Vampire Slayer' it would probably have been a slightly different show.
But first, we can't pretend like everything is on complete equal terms. There isn't an equal number of white and minority actors leading tv shows and movies. (And im not saying there should be )
So, when a minority starring role gets whitewashed, it's a bigger deal because there aren't many minority led shows to begin with.

And Shaniqua is a black name, so that person's race would have probably been a part of the shows story.
Buffy isn't an inherently white name. It's a rich girl's name. The show focused on her ditzy, valley girlness, not her being white. She could have been a black, rich, ditzy, valleygirl in the original show, and the story could have been the exact same.
So, to answer your question, if the show had originally been called 'Shaniqua the Vampire Slayer,' and they wanted to do a white girl version, there'd be no issue with that accept for the name Shaniqua. That is a name tied to race, Buffy isn't .

But after reading your thoughts, i agree. An extension would have been better than a reboot.

Last edited:
I liked the original show, and I was a big fan of Angel. I wasn't as in love with Firefly as most, but it was a good show as well.
Whedon has done plenty of good work...in the past. (Ok, i just realized i like more of his stuff than i thought )
My references to his hackiness is more along the lines of what he's done in the present. And despite being a fan of some of his past work, I wouldn't want to see that just copy and pasted onto this new Buffy.

I think i was just being too hard on him because my last memory of his work was Avengers 2. Whedon is fine...but i can only take so much of his style in one sitting.. But everything he does just feels like its too obviously him, imo. I haven't watched Buffy since it ended...i loved it then, but i don't know if I'd still be as into it now.
And with his creepiness with women coming to the fore, and seeing how he always writes about women, it has jaded my opinion on his work a bit.

I think the race argument is ridiculous, and that is what pretty much everyone in here are arguing.
But, I can understand your argument. I don't feel strongly on it either way, but as you said, the "Buffyverse" is large, and they could easily just make a new slayer in the same universe. That would make more sense. I wouldn't argue against that. And your argument is very different from the race argument being made by most posters

If the show had been called 'Shaniqua the Vampire Slayer' it would probably have been a slightly different show.
But first, we can't pretend like everything is on complete equal terms. There isn't an equal number of white and minority actors leading tv shows and movies. (And im not saying there should be )
So, when a minority starring role gets whitewashed, it's a bigger deal because there aren't many minority led shows to begin with.

And Shaniqua is a black name, so that person's race would have probably been a part of the shows story.
Buffy isn't an inherently white name. It's a rich girl's name. The show focused on her ditzy, valley girlness, not her being white. She could have been a black, rich, ditzy, valleygirl in the original show, and the story could have been the exact same.
So, to answer your question, if the show had originally been called 'Shaniqua the Vampire Slayer,' and they wanted to do a white girl version, there'd be no issue with that accept for the name Shaniqua. That is a name tied to race, Buffy isn't .

But after reading your thoughts, i agree. An extension would have been better than a reboot.

I hesitated before using the Shaniqua example because it felt too close to the "why is brown pride OK but not white pride". If the reasons aren't obvious, they can't be explained.

I hesitated before using the Shaniqua example because it felt too close to the "why is brown pride OK but not white pride". If the reasons aren't obvious, they can't be explained.
It's not a matter of brown pride being okay, and white pride being bad.
People use white and black as if they were the same.
Black people have no choice but to be black. Black people don't have family names tied to their ancestral home, and they don't know if they're Nambian or Ethiopian or Somalian in origin. There is no history or self identity beyond just the one created in America.

White people aren't just white. They are Germans, Welsh, Italian , Irish, etc. A show could focus on any one of these subgroups, and no one would have an issue with it. It happens all the time. Who bitches about shows focused on Italians or Boston Irish?
It's just not an apples to apples comparison when talking black and white.

This tweet by the new show-runner is very encouraging:

I interpret this to mean that the only things they're keeping are the concept and the name (probably for marketing purposes).

Back