Building an MMA gym

GalltiK

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My bro in law is opening a MMA training center and we are trying to build everything we can for low startup costs. Since i will be updating this thread as we get further along and it involves things used or built for the gym it seems fitting to me that this is in the gear section:)

this place is above a auto repair center and was and still is a mess but we are making progress

first the take down area.

we built one long half wall to close it up and also so people could stand over the side and watch the action. We started with the cheap puzzle mats at costco and they were 9 dollars a pack and doubled them up on the floor and on the bottom edges of the wall. then we got these 5x10 mats at dicks sports and hung them on the walls they were 99 dollars each and we needed 7 of them. We was gonna get a custom mat made but at 1600 plus shipping thats not in the budget yet :) so i found these nice thick puzzle mats on Craigslist for 15 dollars a piece from a closed down karate studio, we just havent laid them down yet.

The bags in this area can all be pushed up into the corners out of the way with a chain to make more room.

pics

take.jpg

fff.jpg

ggg.jpg

eee.jpg

Very cool. Do you already have some students lined up?

looks rather small. but still very cool, id love to have a similiar centre in my home.

ps: be careful with those mats, they're good but takedowns and slams on those will hurt.

~Foz

next is the ring, we could have bought a floor ring from $2500-4000 dollars but again we are gonna see how this place takes off before we go all in, and me being a Handy Homie lol i always wanted to build a ring:

I am gonna do a write up with all the materials i used another day but here are the basics

i framed it up with 2x12's and then used 4x4 posts for the corners, its all lag bolted together and is very sturdy.

we then layed 3/4 inch plywood on top

i used eye hooks in the posts bolted from behind and turnbuckles ,rings, and rope from homedepot to do the ropes. We then wrapped them in foam pipe covering , and the in duct tape. I got the corner pads from title boxing and rope spacers they were like $110 for both

and i just had the heavy duty canvas cover made for the floor for $130 dollars
we are just gonna put a rug under the canvas. This ring will only be used for stand up so we didnt see a need for spending the money on boxing ring foam flooring and it costs alot like $400 dollars , we have a total of 500-600 dollars in this ring complete :) cant beat that
its small (14x14) but perfect and who wants to run anyway lol. i weigh 310 lbs and can bounce of the ropes with no real flexing of the ring so its solid

pics, not done yet still need to lay the carpet and canvas but we wanna wait till we are done cleaning and putting up the wall paneling

turn.jpg

hhh.jpg

ring.jpg

this gonna be the cardio area with a couple bikes,treadmill in one room and a universal weight setup in the other.

shit.jpg

yeah i know the mats are kinda hard lol :)

we dont have and students , shit we are students lol

Thats why we are calling it a training center not a school , i wanna learn as much as i can from everone who works out there. He trains with a local fighter who holds a belt in his weight class and there will be local fighters using this place when its done. There is simply no close places that will have this kind of equipment handy that is very local. We are Noobs just tryin to get out from behind the tv and computer and get in shape and get some game :)

I gotta say, im pretty fucking jealous.

Gimme gimme! :(

All i have at home for training is a heavy bag... ;_;

~Foz

You might want to put a layer of those puzzle mats down under the canvas for that boxing ring. Even though you wont be rolling on it someone is bound to fall down and with just a carpet it is going to hurt like a bitch. Other than that it looks fucking sweet. How much are you guys paying on rent? Keep posting pics it looks awsome.

yeah i wanted to put a layer of the mats but was afraid they might move out of place, maybe i will glue them down. $500 a month not to shabby :)

you got a pretty sweet setup going on there, i dig yor ring alot

GalltiK said:
yeah i wanted to put a layer of the mats but was afraid they might move out of place, maybe i will glue them down. $500 a month not to shabby :)

try getting some ring canvas, you should be able to buy it somewhere. it's pretty heavy and wont move/slide, so what you do is you put puzzle mats under the canvas, and the canvas lies over your ring, its what we do at my gym. works a treat

~Foz

Looks really good mate,hope all goes well for you with it.Don't forget to put up a link on Sherdog to your school too,Theres a link in one of the other forums.

That looks like an awesome training center. Good luck.

GalltiK said:
We are Noobs just tryin to get out from behind the tv and computer and get in shape and get some game :)

Dude you get mad respect from me bro, that is freakin awesome. I would love to try and do something like this one day, even if it's just in my basement in a future house some day. All the luck to you, definitally keep us up to date about how it goes, thanks for the pics.

Job well done, i hope the training center all comes together fine.

where is this basement located?

That looks awsome man. Really well thought out and put together well. Good luck with the rest of it.
Jerrad

thanks guys,, its not a basement its on the second floor of a auto repair center.
and its in the Boston, Ma area
:)

Back