Buy or Sell. The Light Heavyweight Division is the deepest all time

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Ok. So for me. Light Heavyweight is the deepest division in the history of boxing. So many great fighters. Agree or Disagree

Really Old Timers

Bob Fitzsimmons
Gene Tunney
Battling Levinsky
Georges Carpentier
Battling Siki
Mike McTigue
John Henry Lewis
Paul Berlenbach
Jimmy Slattery
Tommy Loughran
Bob Olin
Len Harvey
Freddie Mills
Maxie Rosenbloom
Jack Root
Kid McCoy

Old Timers
Jimmy Bivins
Archie Moore
Ezzard Charles
Harold Johnson
Willie Pastrano
Jose Torres
Dick Tiger

80's/90's
Mike Spinks
Roy Jones Jr
Montell Griffin
Eddie Mustafa Muhammad
Leslie Stewart
Virgil Hill
Tommy Hearns
Iran Barkley
Daurisz Michalczewski
Matthew Saad Muhammad
Bob Foster
Dwight Qawi
Marvin Johnson
Mate Parlov
Dennis Andries
Michael Moorer
Jeff Harding
Mike McCallum
Prince Charles Williams
Reggie Johnson

2000's-present
Antonio Tarver
Glen Johnson
Andre Ward
Sergey Kovalev
Nathan Cleverly
Tony Bellew
Adonis Stevenson
Bernard Hopkins
Joe Calzaghe
Artur Beterbiev
Chad Dawson
Jean Pascal
Tavoris Cloyd
Clinton Woods
Gabriel Campillo
Danny Green
Bruno Girad
Tomasz Adamek
Badou Jack
Adrian Diaconu

Last edited:
Sweet thanks, been meaning to add more to my LHW roster on FN Champion :D

Tunney and Greb need to be thrown in as well. It's really tough to say which division is historically the deepest considering the long history of the sport. LHW does tend to get left out behind HW, MW, and WW when talking about the most storied divisions. LW, FW, and LHW seem to get comparable amounts of prestige. Then BW and FlyW are at the bottom. That's what it seems like to me, anyway.

If Jack is going to be there only ever having a secondary title then you may as well throw Joe Smith Jr. up there too.

Tunney and Greb need to be thrown in as well. It's really tough to say which division is historically the deepest considering the long history of the sport. LHW does tend to get left out behind HW, MW, and WW when talking about the most storied divisions. LW, FW, and LHW seem to get comparable amounts of prestige. Then BW and FlyW are at the bottom. That's what it seems like to me, anyway.
Tunney is a glaring omission but Greb was more MW. I'd give him extra credit for fighting larger guys than saying he was one of the best LHWs.

Tunney is a glaring omission but Greb was more MW. I'd give him extra credit for fighting larger guys than saying he was one of the best LHWs.

He was far and away the 2nd best LHW of that era behind Tunney and holds a victory over Tunney at LHW (even if he was a natural MW). When a guy like Bellew is on the list, you have to put someone like Greb on there.

He was far and away the 2nd best LHW of that era behind Tunney and holds a victory over Tunney at LHW (even if he was a natural MW). When a guy like Bellew is on the list, you have to put someone like Greb on there.
Yeah, I'd take a bunch of names off TS's list, and maybe add Greb on there but I don't think that's where he rates best.

Yeah, I'd take a bunch of names off TS's list, and maybe add Greb on there but I don't think that's where he rates best.
my bad. hes in.

Greb I rate at MW

I think MW and LHW are the most stacked.

More than WW? Why?
I think WW is top heavy.

But when you get to the midcard, I find LHW and MW ( in particular) to have more good fighters. Not necessarily great. But good fighters

my bad. hes in.

Greb I rate at MW

Well, yeah, Greb has an argument for being the greatest MW of all time, but he was also the 2nd best LHW of his era (who actually fought the black fighters, unlike Tunney). He's far greater at LHW than most of the others on the list.

I think WW is top heavy.

But when you get to the midcard, I find LHW and MW ( in particular) to have more good fighters. Not necessarily great. But good fighters

Is it, though? I think it's easily been deeper fairly consistently from the 30s to the present day.

No CLinton Woods ? Laughable.

No CLinton Woods ? Laughable.

Oh, he's there. I was disappointed that he was relegated to be mentioned with the rest of the "great" fighters, though. It devalues Mitchell's quality being associated with the likes of Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore, and Roy Jones Jr.

It's in the edit.

I can't believe he's put on the same level as the likes of Bruno Girard and Archie Moore.

edit : I hadn't read your edit, goddamit.

Back