Buy or Sell. The Light Heavyweight Division is the deepest all time

I don’t know enough about the old timer/really old timers to add anything constructive to the thread but there are some quality fighters in that list.

Personally I always preferred MW as benn, hearns and haglar are personal favourites

I can't believe he's put on the same level as the likes of Bruno Girard and Archie Moore.

Sometimes you have to list Mozart with Soulja Boy just because both fall under the category of music.

Sometimes you have to list Mozart with Soulja Boy just because both fall under the category of music.

Mozart was overrated, though. Very short prime and the JD should have gone to Beethoven.

Mozart was overrated, though. Very short prime and the JD should have gone to Beethoven.

We're comparing different eras, though. I think Beethoven would have worn down under the competition that Mozart had to face.

We're comparing different eras, though. I think Beethoven would have worn down under the competition that Mozart had to face.

OK so it's 11:17 am here and I'm drunken enough from last night to be dead serious arguing on this one.

Back on topic I kind of buy it. Lots of depth at LHW.

OK so it's 11:17 am here and I'm drunken enough from last night to be dead serious arguing on this one.

Back on topic I kind of buy it. Lots of depth at LHW.

lol, it's 2:25 am here, and I'm not. But I do have a plane to catch tomorrow/today, so I'll probably be out.

Throw in Bivol, maybe Gvozdyk and Subway Mike

200px-Mike_Lee.PNG

And I'll think about investing in the current climate's stock.

I'd say probably WW, that's a stacked division. You've got SRR, SRL, Hearns, Duran, Floyd, Griffith, Pac, Napoles, ODLH, Tito, Curry, McLarnin, Ross, Armstrong. And that's not even getting into some of the other great talents the division has provided.

LHW is a monster division too though. Ain't no goofy people there.

Tunney and Greb need to be thrown in as well. It's really tough to say which division is historically the deepest considering the long history of the sport. LHW does tend to get left out behind HW, MW, and WW when talking about the most storied divisions. LW, FW, and LHW seem to get comparable amounts of prestige. Then BW and FlyW are at the bottom. That's what it seems like to me, anyway.
I think BW is hurt by the fact that it hasn't had a lineal champion since hte late 80s, while FlW has had the opposite problem: it's had a lot of trading off of the lineal belt.

That said, don't sleep on BW and FlW. In terms of talent, they're plenty stacked. In addition to old time greats like Wilde, Puerez, LaBarba and Villa, you have guys like Harada, Choinoi, Canto, Chitalada, Chocolatito, Pac, Arbhachakov, Venice Bhorkorsor, Pong, Betulio Gonzalez, Kingpetch, Marc Johnson, and Accavalo, among others. THat's not even gettign into the likes of Eder Jofre, Harada (again), Canizales, Panam Al Brown, Sixto Escobar, Rafael Marez, Manuel Ortiz, Olivares, Zarate, Jeff Chandler, and many others at BW.

A lot of guys. Less dominance, but lots of talent.

Last edited:
Clinton Woods must be top 5 all time in this division?

Ok. So for me. Light Heavyweight is the deepest division in the history of boxing. So many great fighters. Agree or Disagree

Really Old Timers

Bob Fitzsimmons
Gene Tunney
Battling Levinsky
Georges Carpentier
Battling Siki
Mike McTigue
John Henry Lewis
Paul Berlenbach
Jimmy Slattery
Tommy Loughran
Bob Olin
Len Harvey
Freddie Mills
Maxie Rosenbloom
Jack Root
Kid McCoy

Old Timers
Jimmy Bivins
Archie Moore
Ezzard Charles
Harold Johnson
Willie Pastrano
Jose Torres
Dick Tiger

80's/90's
Mike Spinks
Roy Jones Jr
Montell Griffin
Eddie Mustafa Muhammad
Leslie Stewart
Virgil Hill
Tommy Hearns
Iran Barkley
Daurisz Michalczewski
Matthew Saad Muhammad
Bob Foster
Dwight Qawi
Marvin Johnson
Mate Parlov
Dennis Andries
Michael Moorer
Jeff Harding
Mike McCallum
Prince Charles Williams
Reggie Johnson

2000's-present
Antonio Tarver
Glen Johnson
Andre Ward
Sergey Kovalev
Nathan Cleverly
Tony Bellew
Adonis Stevenson
Bernard Hopkins
Joe Calzaghe
Artur Beterbiev
Chad Dawson
Jean Pascal
Tavoris Cloyd
Clinton Woods
Gabriel Campillo
Danny Green
Bruno Girad
Tomasz Adamek
Badou Jack
Adrian Diaconu
Never noticed how deep it was until you really look at all the names that have been in and out of the division.

Whats the least stacked division of all time.
That's a good question.
CW?

Whats the least stacked division of all time.
That's a good question.
CW?
I think SW is the likely answer there. You've got Finito, Calderon, Rosendo Alvarez, Chocolatito, Eagle Kyowa and maybe Niida and not much else that stands out. All good to great names, but not really on the level of a lot of the other divisions

I'd say 108 is hte most underrated division. A lot of legitimately top tier fighters in its history, though admitadely a bit top heavy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back