Cain V rep -If Fedor had been UFC champ, would people have been saying he was boring?

Fedor kind of gets a pass in that he's Russian, so the whole stoic warrior thing fits him, as opposed to being American pretending to be Mexican with a huge ass racist tattoo. Fedor was a real warrior as well, and always going for the finish. His image was exciting, his aura was exciting, he was an emotionless badass. Cain is a typical fighter that shows no personality and for a HW lacks power, relying on swarming people instead.

People say Cain is boring and has pillow hands.

Velasquez.jpg

I dont think its hate, its just a "meh" reaction that he gets.

Lukewarm.

Heres what I dont get.

Fedor_Emelianenko.jpg

How much of the Fedor love comes from the fact UFC could never sign him, and therefore he remained this kind of mystical figure - unbeatable and unbuyable.

Fedor - even his harshest critics would concede, was fully capably of becoming UFC champ, especially in the era he owned.

But would he have been boring?

The reason for this thread is the amusing double standard when it comes to Cain, who is very much the strong silent type himself.

Do we need our heavyweights to be like Brock Lesnar?

I think Fedor was genuinely the best of the best, but given his whole career, was he really that much more exciting than Cain, inside and outside of the ring. Or are people just giving Cain a hard time for the very same values they loved Fedor for?

None, People still hate on fedor for "ducking" randy couture and frank mir.

Hard to be exciting when you don't actually fight.

Come back when Cain comes out of retirement.

I think Cain is talented but boring. I actually am surprised at how many fans seem to enjoy Cain's performances.

I've seen more complaints that Machida is boring, which to me is absurd.

As for Fedor, they're totally different. I mean, neither say much, but Fedor's silence is a part of the calmness he exudes, which adds to his mystique. That isn't the case with Cain.

Fedor uses sambo trips and throws, and does more damage with his hands. I don't know who of the two would dominate if they faced each other, but it would definitely be more fun to watch if it was Fedor.

Fedor is the GOAT not a fair comparison and Cain gets plenty of love when he actually fights. The only boring fight I have seen from Cain would be against Kongo imo.

TS is talking about personnality, not about the fights. Nobody in his right mind would find Cain or Fedor boring in the octagon/ring.

People is insane, I don't even like Cain but saying he is boring is dumb as hell, dude is always active, pushing forward his opponents, throwing punches, going for the TD he can maybe be repetitive but boring? gimme a break, people love to shit on Lesnar but dude was a beast and wasn't afraid to fight anybody, just cause he came from wwe and became ufc champ(mma purist could not never accept that), dude was always exciting and totally genuinely. #hespect

Neither Fedor nor Cain are boring.

The only HW that are boring are the guys without adequate gas tanks to do what we're paying them to do.

People say Cain is boring and has pillow hands.

Velasquez.jpg

I dont think its hate, its just a "meh" reaction that he gets.

Lukewarm.

Heres what I dont get.

Fedor_Emelianenko.jpg

How much of the Fedor love comes from the fact UFC could never sign him, and therefore he remained this kind of mystical figure - unbeatable and unbuyable.

Fedor - even his harshest critics would concede, was fully capably of becoming UFC champ, especially in the era he owned.

But would he have been boring?

The reason for this thread is the amusing double standard when it comes to Cain, who is very much the strong silent type himself.

Do we need our heavyweights to be like Brock Lesnar?

I think Fedor was genuinely the best of the best, but given his whole career, was he really that much more exciting than Cain, inside and outside of the ring. Or are people just giving Cain a hard time for the very same values they loved Fedor for?

Fedor is one of the most exciting fighters to ever put on the gloves.

He is much more interesting outside of the ring than people like Lesnar or Sonnon.

I call upon the TS to stop making threads that pander to the beliefs of stupid people. Fedor deserves better than that.

Fedor was hugely popular and loved by many MMA fans long before PRIDE went tits up.

I think both Cain and Fedor are interesting fighters, and not boring at all. I look forward with excitement to Cain's fights - and therein lies the only problem. He has very few.

Fedor was a bit more exciting in the ring. Not better, just flashier. He had those ridiculously heavily-thrown hands, and great subs. He was a finisher in a different sense than Cain - as it could come out of nowhere. Cain is more impressive due to his ability as a 240lb man to grind the life out of someone without slowing down. Its impressive, just not as fun to watch.

The two greatest fighters I've seen (although I think there are far too many great big men in the world who aren't interested in MMA, unfortunately), and I think Cain would have won between the two of them, although Prime Fedor could have landed on or subbed anyone at any given point in a fight.

Cain is exactly what a grinder should be. High offense that never stops, rather than just holding dudes down.

Also I can't see any evidence that Cain has better cardio than Fedorever did

Win or Lose, Fedor was almost never in a boring fight. He was either kicking somebody's ass or getting his own kicked, and it was almost always the former.

That said Cain isn't boring, just doesn't have granite in his gloves. He grinds like a grinder should; pushing forward and attacking the entire fight. GSP was a boring grinder because he looked to control the fight, Cain looks to win it.

He's not a Tyson or a JDS, but he doesn't have to be to have a good fight.

There are several reasons fedor had an aura that Cain does not despite both being exciting fighters in cage/ring (in my opinion) and quiet outside. As one person said, when fedor DOES speak it's like wisdom of the ancients shit, confuscius and Ghandi.
As another person pointed out, the "stoic Russian" works better than stoic mexican-american with a tattoo that certainly doesn't fit the silent type. He also speaks English well and its therefore expected to talk more and fedors was not very good.
Here I think is the clincher: ever seen fedor angry? Ever seen him run to the center of the ring to meet the aggression of his opponent? Lick blood off his gloves? These behaviors don't fit the strong silent type. Fedor was a machine. He didn't look at you, he looked through you. He didn't care who you are or how you fight. His gameplan won't change. He wasn't there to adjust to you, he was there to terminate. He was never in a rush, he just calmly destroyed

Cain has always been boring where have you been

he's got that grinding wrestler's style and pillow hands

So you're telling me these fight are boring:

vs. JDS x2
vs. Bigfoot x2
vs. Lesnar
vs. Rothwell
vs. Big Nog
vs. Kongo
vs. Stojnic

Cain, mostly, isn't viewed as boring. He beats the shit out of his competition with volume, not 1-punch KO's or impressively quick subs, which Fedor often did. Fedor was more exciting of the 2, he was a finisher with top technique everywhere, but Cain is exciting as well in his own way.

Also, Fedor was hyped before he came to Pride because of Rings, and then, after he got past Fujita and especially after he beat Cro Cop, was seen as unbeatable. It didn't matter at that point who they threw in there against him as Barnett, Randleman and Ricco were former UFC HW champs and they didn't perform as well against common opponents, while Randy, Tim and AA had mixed results in Rings & UFC.

So all of his potential opponents either lost (or had a tougher fight) against the people Fedor beat handily, or lost against each other. This is typical for HW's today and will likely always be so because of punching power & size. It doesn't matter which org hyped him, as he was the only HW that didn't lose.

Well it's a made up double standard. Almost no one hates can OR calls him boring. The majority of the flak he receives is from his shelftime. He isn't as popular because he rarely fights, not some perceived injustice

Back