can someone tell me why David Letterman was great?

You mean after his quintuple bypass? After 18 years of grinding out comedy as opposed to the easy-listening celebrity circle jerks on THE TONIGHT SHOW? You are correct he was on the decline, but priorities change and I think the opposite of you -- the lackluster latter years do not diminish Prime Letterman, a quick and intelligent and fearless wit who invited everyone to laugh at themselves a little bit.

If you can't physically do a job after medical emergencies and you're sitting on all the money any one life can fit to bursting, work whatever job you want to do, and be good at that job

A few of my long time buddies worked in salumeria industries and you did not work prosciutto slicers and deli slicer and cheese wheels if your hands were not steady and you weren't paying attention, that kind of shit gets your palm sliced clean off

So for entertainment moguls i have less sympathy for anyone struggling to stay on camera, they aren't forced to host a talk show anywhere near the pressures keeping the rest of the civilian world performing lucidly in their line of work. For the vast majority of jobs in the world, being bad at your job can be catastrophic so with his resources he doesn't get to phone it in at his. He has options

I think what gets lost on younger people is that people that grew up in the 70s or earlier, had like 6 or 7 channels to choose from. Even in the 80s cable was largely reruns from other networks, movie channels and MTV, and not everyone had cable.

So Carson was a staple in like EVERY household. When Lettrman came along with more of a sarcastic wit that would often poke fun at his guests and more of a rock house band it played well to early teens like myself at the time. That talk show format was like ingrained in us from Carson, but Letterman was more entertaining to a, then, younger crowd.

Last edited:
I never found anything he ever did to be funny.

you did not work prosciutto slicers and deli slicer and cheese wheels if your hands were not steady and you weren't paying attention, that kind of shit gets your palm sliced clean off
Yeah, but weren't they great in their heyday tho? Before their palms were sliced clean off? The deli slicers?

jesus, bunch of grumpy negative cunts that post here. i wonder if it's a coincidence they also all sound like morons too.

might need a brilliant detective to make that connection though.

His comedy is above your head

The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also dave's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike letterman truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Dave's existential catchphrase “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dave's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a letterman tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Considering he's a Scottish comic I might know a thing or two

And yet u clearly don't. If u did u would love him.

I know all about his background on the low level scottish comedy circuit (although i do love billy connelly). Including when craig went by the name bing hitler, lol

Yeah, but weren't they great in their heyday tho? Before their palms were sliced clean off? The deli slicers?

Right my point is many jobs don't have that luxury of deteriorating your job performance, so major medical emergencies sideline physical laborers all the time, it's a huge problem in your country and mine

The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also dave's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike letterman truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Dave's existential catchphrase “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dave's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a letterman tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Lol i was talking about craig ferguson

Geoff Peterson is the GOAT late night host damn it!

pl0zrddgm7oy.jpg

"Oh yeah I got a place out there. Try to get out there once or twice a year"

And yet u clearly don't. If u did u would love him.

I know I like his stuff. I also know he spent too much time on prime time cable doing puppet comedy for a guy who tears holes in the fabric of space and time every time he uses his improv training

I never watch talk shows and don't know anything about them. It's very, very rare that I watch a talk show and am interested in anything being said.

BUT, everyone raves about Letterman. I've heard that he idolized Johnny Carson and wanted to take what Carson did and push it further. They call Letterman a genius. They say he had an edgy, dangerous tone. They say he was an original, a true innovator.

WTF does this all mean?

He sucked really fucking bad. And was a complete a-hole to boot.

Shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Johnny.

His feuds with Joan Collins, Kathy Lee Gifford, Oprah, and Dr. Phil. He was at his best when the guests agitated him for whatever reason.

Letterman is a pearl jam fan so he gets points for that. He is also a foofighters fan so I take the points back.

I never got into him, but my family had a bunch of best of Letterman in 80s videos, and I have to say they are hilarious. He toned down his childishness in the 90s at some point. I mean, I bet he still had a lot to say, I didn't see much of it, but the 80s Letterman run was great.

My favorite episode

The change really came after his heart surgery in 2000 or so, he was toned down, but still the old Dave in the 90's for the most part..

Here's one of my favorite recurring bits that ended around his surgery time.

Back