Can we stop the Belfort is a great striker hype?

Most technical striker does not equal most effective striker.

If you throw everything with perfect technique but fail to damage your opponent and eat big shots yourself, you're not a good striker.

Martin Kampmann is more of a technical striker than Vitor, but the Hit Man (one of my favorite fighters), has not been nearly as effective on the feet in his career.

This

The snobs that took a few boxing classes are the ones mixing up technical with effective. Wasn't there a thread out there criticizing Machida's techniques because they're all wrong? There's more than one way to strike out there foolios. Can't wait for The Shaolin monks to start eating meat and go eagle claws on these technical strikers.

Belfort is a great striker in the sense that he gets results.

Is he a technically great striker? No, he's god awful for being such an elite level fighter. But he gets results.

My 2 cents (the first 4 paragraphs are shamelessly plagiarized, statistical research calculated by yours truly).
Vitor Belfort entered the Octagon for the first time at age 19 at UFC 12. At the event, he would knock out Tra Telligman and Scott Ferrozzo. Now 35, Belfort has not really slowed down since.

Having fought for several promotions, Vitor Belfort has been knocking out fighters around the globe for 16 years. His method of choice? Something some have called the

for those critiquing Vitor's striking, please tell me how you did so. Are you just going off of jack slack's article?[/I]
Actually Jack Slack's articles don't argue that Vitor is a bad striker. They acknowledge how effective his striking has been. The articles simply argue that he isn't a a great technical boxer/kickboxer, which is kinda "duh"...you don't need to be a great technical kickboxer to be a good striker in MMA. MMA striking is inherently a different game from 100% stand-up striking.

Vitor's style has been working for him for a long time (and often in spectacular fashion), therefore he's a great MMA striker in my eyes

What hype? He's been doing this since 1996, and the only person to stop him in a strictly striking match has been Anderson Silva. He's more than held his own against guys like Overeem, Chuck, Wanderlei, etc.

hes an amazing top notch technical striker if you werent such a dumbass and did anything besides beat off in your moms basement youd know that

lol vitors striking is top notch.
Anderson is on another level.

Back