• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can we stop the Belfort is a great striker hype?

I don't get why people like you say that Belfort isn't technical. 90% of MMA guys would never pull off the setup he used to finish Bispey.

I didn't say he wasn't technical, I said he wasn't the most technical, there's a difference. If I thought Vitor had big problems with his technique I wouldn't have said he is great. One only has to watch a highlight vid to see the man is a scary striker.

Anyone who is able to KO Franklin and Bisping is more than decent striker. Technical? Perhaps not, but not only technical strikers are great ones, i mean Shogun is somewhat of a brawler but no one in their right mind would deny that he's a great striker.

I didn't say he wasn't technical, I said he wasn't the most technical, there's a difference. If I thought Vitor had big problems with his technique I wouldn't have said he is great. One only has to watch a highlight vid to see the man is a scary striker.

Fair enough. But saying he 'isn't the most technical' makes it sound like you think he's nothing special in the tech department. I say that for an MMA guy, he's oustanding, superior to the vast majority of fighters, even if he isn't a virtuoso like Anderson or Machida.

Maybe we just don't agree on the definition of technical. To me, throwing out a lot of techniques in a fight doesn't necessarily make a fighter technical. I think that a fighter can have a very simple, direct style and still be very technical.

This is getting annoying.

Belfort is someone who has a a lot of KO power and can explode in bursts but he is much more a brawler than a technical striker. He is just faster than his fellow brawlers.

He is a bjj guy with KO power and is absolutely no threat to Anderson Silva in the striking game. If we want to see Silva vs a good striker at MW, it is Mousasi or Manhoef we need to see, not Vitor Belfort who would get destroyed again.

I lost respect for his striking game when he decided to continue to pull guard against jbj instead of striking with him.

This is the perfect time to stop calling Vitor a great striker after he just won in devastating fashion. Good job, TS.

I believe vitor is a top notch striker, discrediting that because of losses to the 2 best p4p fighters in the world is silly. No he's not on Anderson's level, but then again, who is?

Agree. Ask Wand and Ace if he is a bad striker

I think Belfort's striking has improved a lot in the past few years. Sure, he's always hit hard, but I think he's technically more proficient now.

Vitor has exceptional striking. Not the best, but great nonetheless.

He's knocked out plenty good strikers. He's a good striker.

seriously some of you people have NO fucking clue what you're talking about. Vitor isn't a good striker? Vitor is a puncher relying on speed/power more than technique? Are you basing this off of his last fight a few days ago or when he was 18 yrs old?

for those critiquing Vitor's striking, please tell me how you did so. Are you just going off of jack slack's article? exactly how did Vitor land that headkick against bisping? I guess it was lucky? it's not like he had been setting up his body kicks or anything and looking for the highkick afterwards.

i also guess Vitor wasn't slipping any of Bispings jabs/strikes. Bisping just has shit accuracy i guess. (especially when vitor had his lead right shoulder down and lead hand at his waist baiting Bisping in) :rolleyes: also all those counters Vitor was looking for and landing were just "brawler's luck".

Fightmetric stats:
Bisping Rd 1 - 10/52 significant strikes landed (19%)
Bisping Rd 2 - 4/14 significant strikes landed (29%)

Wow!!! Vitor is so lucky Bisping doesn't know how to throw an accurate punch lol!

and LOL at people saying Manhoef is just a fucking brawler. are you fucking kidding me? do you not remember the leg kick clinic he was putting on Lawlor? Yeah he got knocked out, but that's cause he was DOMINATING, became careless, and Lawlor like somebody mentioned landed one of the luckiest counters in MMA history with his eyes closed.

My 2 cents (the first 4 paragraphs are shamelessly plagiarized, statistical research calculated by yours truly).
Vitor Belfort entered the Octagon for the first time at age 19 at UFC 12. At the event, he would knock out Tra Telligman and Scott Ferrozzo. Now 35, Belfort has not really slowed down since.

Having fought for several promotions, Vitor Belfort has been knocking out fighters around the globe for 16 years. His method of choice? Something some have called the “Belfort Blitz.”

Very few have demonstrated the sort of ability that Belfort has when it comes to chasing down opponents once they're hurt. Throughout the years, he has beaten a slew of opponents by wobbling them, and following it up with a deluge of punches.
He did it to Tank Abbott. He did it to Wanderlai Silva. He did it to Rich Franklin. He did it to Yoshihiro Akiyama.

The result is that 67 percent of his 21 MMA victories have come via knockout. The UFC has kindly put up a couple of his top highlights on YouTube.

From my research:
Top Knock Out Artists in All of MMA History (KO's to Win percentage)
1. Melvin Manhoef 25 KOs in 27 Wins = 93%
2. Mauricio Shogun Ruas 18 KOs in 21 Wins = 86%
3. Andrei Arlovski 14 KOs in 19 Wins = 74%
4. Junior Dos Santos 11 KOs in 15 Wins = 73%
5. Wanderlai Silva 24 KOs in 34 Wins = 71%
6. Mirko Cro Cop 20 KOs in 28 Wins = 71%
7. Vitor Belfort 14 KOs in 21 Wins = 67%
8. Melvin Guillard 19 KOs in 30 Wins = 63%
9. Chuck Liddell 13 KOs in 21 Wins = 62%
10. Anderson Silva 20 KOs in 33 Wins = 61%

Anyone who says Vitor Belfort is not one of the most EXCEPTIONAL strikers in MMA HISTORY is a FOOL as he ranks high in statistical data (FACTS) AND his knockout to win percentage is BETTER than everyone's beloved UFC Middleweight Champion, Anderson Silva, against the SAME CALIBER of opponents/competition.

Last edited:
is TS on something?? Vitor is one of the best strikers since his debut in the UFC.

He's not a great striker? There are many many fighters who absolutely do not want to hang in the pocket with Vitor, striking.

This is the perfect time to stop calling Vitor a great striker after he just won in devastating fashion. Good job, TS.

We should probably also ignore that he didn't do it just rushing forward and throwing haymakers. He actually set it up nicely.

Most technical striker does not equal most effective striker.

If you throw everything with perfect technique but fail to damage your opponent and eat big shots yourself, you're not a good striker.

Martin Kampmann is more of a technical striker than Vitor, but the Hit Man (one of my favorite fighters), has not been nearly as effective on the feet in his career.

I think the most accurate assessment of his striking is poor defense, good power, better than average technique. He's always going to be a win win lose kind of guy.

Hes won fights with punches, kicks, and knees before ... Id say hes a pretty damn effective striker.

Back