Can we stop the Belfort is a great striker hype?

WTF? This is actually a thread? The worst part about this thread is that he is showing improvement in an area he was already good in.

The thread got even better when manheof was called not a good striker.

Manheof gets careless and wild at times, but technically he's far more advanced than most fighters on the feet

It sort of seems like the TS did a poor job of plagiarizing a recent Jack Slack article, which said Vitor is a brawler who lacks technical refinement. However, that doesn't mean he's not a great striker.

Everyone should read this article to understand just how stupid and ignorant we are.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/1...r-judo-chop-jack-slack-mma-technique-analysis

Wow that article actually kind of sucks. Now he couldn't predict the future where Belfort did indeed setup a nice KO a few days later but the Belfort of the past few years has actually looked patient and had decent setups.

In the late 90s though I would agree. He was just beasting people out of the octagon with raw aggression and athleticisim.

Vitor's first MMA fight was in 1996, no one is hyping him anymore.

Belfort has always been a tier 2 type fighter. He can beat anyone other than the champions or guys who routinely compete for the championships.

He's knocked out Bisping, Akiyama, Franklin and Wanderlei.

His only losses are against Jones, Couture, Anderson, Henderson, Overeem, Ortiz, Liddell and Sakuraba. If those are the only guys who have ever defeated you, you've had a pretty damn good career.

There's no hype involved with this guy. It's pretty obvious what you're going to get with him. If you have a good enough chin to take him into deep waters, he will wilt and you can impose your will on him. The problem is that most guys can't make it out of the first round and a half without getting knocked out. He's not a guy that's going to use amazing technique to wear you down. He knows what his bread and butter is and that's his one strike KO power. Why work teh jab when you only need to connect a straight right one time?

Good striking by MMA standards and maybe the best killer instinct in the sport, it amazes me that Vitor is still so relevant in the UFC/MMA...he's been wrecking fools since '97.

IMO this is what sets him apart, both points.

Whenever he stuns someone he just rushes in and wrecks them. You see so many fighters get hurt and then cover up and recover, but not against Vitor. He just blitzes them out.

Soul On Ice said:
Good striking by MMA standards and maybe the best killer instinct in the sport, it amazes me that Vitor is still so relevant in the UFC/MMA...he's been wrecking fools since '97.

I'd disagree with this and I think its the main reason that Belfort has never really reached the very top of the sport.

Its still a bit of a generalisation but for me there are really two kinds of "great strikers" in MMA, you have the likes of say Anderson or Crocop in his prime who have exellent technique and speed then you have the more common brawlers who while they do have good technique also obviously depend on aggression, power and toughness.

Vitor for me is does not have the technique of the former group and doesnt have the toughness and aggression of the latter group. A Vitor with the chin and guts of Shogun or Hendo would be a monster but the reality is the Vitor we have seen doesnt show that level of aggression and can be bullied into submission.

I think you can see this in his career, he's had sucess vs mid level LHW's and MW's who's shown a weakness to powerful strikers but vs top level LHW's and Anderson he just didnt have the aggression and willingness to take punishment to make something happen.

Thats actually why I'd preffer to see Manhoef/Anderson, I do think Melvin is technically better than Vitor but moreso than that he takes risks, it might cost him sometimes but equally it creates openinsg that Vitor never would hanging around waiting for an obvious counter opening thats unlikely to come. Of course a Vitor that shows the abilityt o mix up grappling and striking could perhaps be a interesting threat but again we've never seen that Vitor in MMA.

Last edited:
what the hell are you talking about? Is Anderson Silva the only great striker in the sport? Cause then sure, Vitor isn't. By any conventional standards, he's a great striker.

what the hell are you talking about? Is Anderson Silva the only great striker in the sport? Cause then sure, Vitor isn't. By any conventional standards, he's a great striker.

The only great striker in the UFC MW division.

This is getting annoying.

Belfort is someone who has a a lot of KO power and can explode in bursts but he is much more a brawler than a technical striker. He is just faster than his fellow brawlers.

He is a bjj guy with KO power and is absolutely no threat to Anderson Silva in the striking game. If we want to see Silva vs a good striker at MW, it is Mousasi or Manhoef we need to see, not Vitor Belfort who would get destroyed again.

I think vitor would beat manhoef, lawler beat manhoef.

lol at someone trying to downplay Vitor's striking.... The man IS a great striker.

I must say I was pretty disappointed in his striking vs Bones.

I hate when huge underdogs go in there and freeze. Huge underdogs should go in there with the "fuck it" attitude and kill or be killed. Standing outside scared to do anything pisses me off. Everyone expecting you to lose, this is your shot, make the best of it for the love of God.

I think vitor would beat manhoef, lawler beat manhoef.

Lawler beat Manhoef throwing a punch with his eyes closed, Melvin left the opening but just because thats the only Manhoef standup fight most people here have seen doesnt make it the only judgement on his abilties.

Really though theres a difference between whether Vitor would beat Manhoef and who would be more likely to beat Anderson. Vitor could indeed counter Manhoef as Lawler(or indeed sub him on the ground) did BUT those same opening for the counter are not going to be there vs Silva where Manhoef's combination of aggresion and technique seems more likely to achieve something standing to me.

I think this mindset shows a clear advanatge of Pride style booking, in the UFC we never would have seen a fight like Crocop/Hunt, just because someone loses to another fighter DOES NOT mean he isnt a threat to the champion. In the UFC I garnetee you we'd never have seen Mirko/Hunt, instead we'd have seen Hunt/Barnett then when Josh has beaten Mark due to a style matchup we'd have seen him fight Mirko in a style matchup that favoured him.

Joe Silva is a master at manipulating style matchups to promote the guys he wants to, just look at Chuck's career.

Anderson vs manhoef. Now that would be bloody awesome.

Vitor is a great striker. But his defense is lacking and he never comes into fights with a gameplan.

He's the 2nd best striker of those who've made some waves at MW. If you don't think he's technical but relies only on his attributes, watch his fight against a boxer brawler, Terry Martin.

Besides, why make this thread now that he shows improvement in that striking? Weird timing. From what I saw, those body kicks and then going high with punch feints is technical. Before that, he landed some nice 1-2-strawberries on the Bisping.

This is getting annoying.

Belfort is someone who has a a lot of KO power and can explode in bursts but he is much more a brawler than a technical striker. He is just faster than his fellow brawlers.

He is a bjj guy with KO power and is absolutely no threat to Anderson Silva in the striking game. If we want to see Silva vs a good striker at MW, it is Mousasi or Manhoef we need to see, not Vitor Belfort who would get destroyed again.

More a brawler then technical striker????

Sherdog idiocy at its finest here.

1. Vitor is far from a brawler
2. Guys that have a brawling or a style that isnt so techical are the most succcesful strikers in mma , which isnt Belfort anyways.

Vitor is a great striker. But his defense is lacking and he never comes into fights with a gameplan.

Sure he does! When he comes into a fight with a striking mind set....he takes time to set up his distance and strikes and figure out his opponent. Thats part of a gameplan.

There are plenty of fights where Vitor showed us more then that.....the Chuck fight where he mixed up his striking with good takedowns. Vitor lost that fight right at the end when he got a bit careless.

He's mainly a striker though....aside from what he already does....whats he suppose to do gameplan wise??

He is a very good striker, his record is proof of that!

Why is it that some people just want to belittle and downplay other people's achievements?

Back