can you survive without the internet?

Drew Peasack

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
everyones freaking out about net neutrality like the internet is going away forever.
I think the internet completely disappearing would be a blessing in disguise. you'd actually go out and read books in order to access information. you'd communicate in person. you'd have more of a desire to pursue women rather than just fap to videos on PH whenever youre feeling horny.

I think I can make it without the internet, brahs. what are you all afraid about? all you do is argue with eachother on here all day anyway LOL

Sure you could. It would take a little adjusting and less staring at your phone, but I do have a hefty backlog of books and board games, and I would be just fine.

survive without Sherdog?

giphy.gif

Sure you could. It would take a little adjusting and less staring at your phone, but I do have a hefty backlog of books and board games, and I would be just fine.
I bet after the first few months of resistance we would be overall happier

Yes, I spent the first part of my life without it, and suffered through dial up.

Not sure how my kids are gonna cope.

sure, it takes some getting used to i guess

Encyclopedia salesmen would certainly love a Rebirth of their profession in a world with no internet.

Yes, I spent the first part of my life without it, and suffered through dial up.

Not sure how my kids are gonna cope.

The difference between them and now is that a lot of the things you need to do, like find a job, are primarily done online.

yeah, but without youtube tutorials i'll have to start paying people to do menial shit.

The difference between them and now is that a lot of the things you need to do, like find a job, are primarily done online.

Yeah but when net neutrality makes the interwebz a tool only the rich can afford, then companies will go back to paper applications

I wish I could overreact to this, but I am an asshole and can't help but laugh at those who are.

I can do my sherdogging at work.

Just bought the costco movie pass deal. Now I can cancel my expensive internet and just go to the movies after work like the good ole days before internet was born. I mean I'm going to have a life again!! YAY!!!

Yeah but when net neutrality makes the interwebz a tool only the rich can afford, then companies will go back to paper applications

I don’t think it will be so drastic as to make it so that only the rich can use it. But I do think a lot of people who are struggling now will not be able to afford it in the future. Also, your assumption that they would just go back to paper applications is a pretty big assumption. Maybe if we stay at 5% unemployment, which we won’t. But when unemployment increases, and they have numerous candidates applying, they won’t bother with making it any easier to apply.

I don’t think it will be so drastic as to make it so that only the rich can use it. But I do think a lot of people who are struggling now will not be able to afford it in the future. Also, your assumption that they would just go back to paper applications is a pretty big assumption. Maybe if we stay at 5% unemployment, which we won’t. But when unemployment increases, and they have numerous candidates applying, they won’t bother with making it any easier to apply.
what are you talking about? they will simply opt into the plans that are necessary and affordable. they will pay the $17.00 for the email and news package and have to save up for the $10.00 streaming (youtube and netflix) bundle.

The internet is the worst thing that could happen to a guy with ADHD. It's so useful, but I could survive without it.

what are you talking about? they will simply opt into the plans that are necessary and affordable. they will pay the $17.00 for the email and news package and have to save up for the $10.00 streaming (youtube and netflix) bundle.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. But what makes more sense for the providers is to charge more for those services which are necessary than for those that are luxuries. For instance, traffic coming from sites like indeed and monster. While their data probably does not put much strain on their networks, if they’re smart, which they are, they’ll charge more for that type of traffic and use that money to pay for the cost of things like Netflix which use a ton of traffic. It’s just economics. Products with lower price elasticity of demand can charge more without losing as many customers.

You know, net neutrality being repealed is probably not going to be a big deal, I hope anyway. I guess what really bothers me about it is the blatant disregard for what the people of America wanted that was shown by the FCC. Especially after they found out all those comments they received in favor of the repeal were just bots, likely commissioned by the companies that hope to profit from this. It very nearly crosses the line between disregard and utter disdain for the people who the FFC is supposedly there to protect.

Fuck no. My house needs more bandwidth as things stand right now. They will be able to gouge the fuck out of me.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. But what makes more sense for the providers is to charge more for those services which are necessary than for those that are luxuries. For instance, traffic coming from sites like indeed and monster. While their data probably does not put much strain on their networks, if they’re smart, which they are, they’ll charge more for that type of traffic and use that money to pay for the cost of things like Netflix which use a ton of traffic. It’s just economics. Products with lower price elasticity of demand can charge more without losing as many customers.
i was being sarcastic. of course the isp's are going to fleece the regular person and cut huge deals with netflix, amazon, etc.

Life was just fine without the internet and the iPhone. I still remember 'black-and-white' TVs and watching 8mm movies at home. First Atom bomb, 1945, calculations were made with a pencil, paper, sliding ruler, and your brain. First landing on the moon, 1969, was made with a computer that had 5% of the technology of an iPhone. We have come a long way. Not sure it was all for the better though.

Back