Canadian human rights groups want drug smugglers to be treated better

Scheme

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent...streatment-of-drug-smugglers-at-sea-1.4751455

Two human rights organizations are calling on the Canadian government for answers amid "troubling revelations" of the U.S. Coast Guard's alleged mistreatment of suspected drug smugglers at sea and Canada's purported complicity.

In an open letter, Amnesty International Canada and the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association urged Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan to provide information related to Canada's involvement in the U.S.-led Operation Martillo and similar joint efforts. The letter comes following a joint investigation by The Current and The Investigative Fund, a New York nonprofit media organization.

"We would like to know what the Canadian Armed Forces' position is with respect to the human rights obligations that Canadian naval personnel carry out in the midst of a collaborative operation like that, and what safeguards are being put in place to scrupulously guard against the possibility Canadian naval personnel are drawn into complicity in human rights violations," Alex Neve, Amnesty International Canada's secretary general, told The Current.

Last November, an exposé by the New York Times and the Investigative Fund revealed that U.S. Coast Guard detainees were routinely shackled by their ankles to the decks of ships and left there for weeks, often exposed to the rain and sun. Many of the detainees were insufficiently fed and forced to sleep on hard rubber mats.

According to court filings and public statements, over the past three years, Canada has helped intercept dozens of suspected smugglers that the Coast Guard has detained.

A joint investigation by CBC's The Current and The Investigative Fund heard from seven suspected drug traffickers, who were picked up in international waters with the support of the Canadian navy. They report being mistreated after being handed to U.S. Coast Guard vessels. 42:52
"What we have is very clearly concerning and well corroborated reports that prisoners are locked and shackled out in the open on the decks of these ships, are held there in all weather — possibly for weeks and weeks on end," Neve said.

He added the organization has grave concerns over the quality and reliability of food and water the detainees are receiving as well as access to legal counsel or embassy officials from their country.

According to court filings and public statements from the military, over the past three years, Canada has helped intercept dozens of suspected smugglers whom the Coast Guard has detained. (Submitted by Oscar Alvia Anchundia)
As reported in The Current's documentary The Catch, the Canadian Forces confirmed that Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Jonathan Vance and the deputy minister of national defence, Jody Thomas, were aware of the allegations.

Alex Neve, Amnesty International Canada's secretary general, is the co-author of an Open Letter calling on the government for answers about Canada's role in joint-operations at sea with the U.S. Coast Guard. 1:01
In response to The Current's request for comment, the Department of National Defence said it stands by its statement issued in May in relation to the New York Times article and the recurring Operation Caribbe.

According to the statement, after the New York Times story, the military "quickly took several steps to ensure that our mission continues to be carried out with integrity and consistent with the law," which included reviewing logs, incident reports and post-deployment reports. The Forces also conferred with American counterparts and confirmed "our expectations regarding the treatment of suspected drug smugglers."

No detainees allege that CAF members were directly involved in their mistreatment.

The complaints of 'human rights abuses':
Last November, an exposé by the New York Times and the Investigative Fund revealed that U.S. Coast Guard detainees were routinely shackled by their ankles to the decks of ships and left there for weeks, often exposed to the rain and sun. Many of the detainees were insufficiently fed and forced to sleep on hard rubber mats.

Oh my god, they have to sleep on hard rubber mats and sit in the rain on a boat? Truly despicable behaviour by the coast guard.

Being a true progressive isn't just about supporting people when it's easy, like minorities, gays, women, etc. It's also about supporting people when it's hard, like pedophiles, drug dealers, gang bangers, murderers, etc. That's what separates the bonafide, high class, praise-worthy progressives from the virtue signaling jackasses.

Oh my god, they have to sleep on hard rubber mats and sit in the rain on a boat? Truly despicable behaviour by the coast guard.
<{vega}>

That's literally human rights abuse, though. There's no reason to treat captives poorly, and they haven't even received trial yet.

I'm sure this is all very conflicting with your online tough guy persona.

What a crap title. Do you even read the shit you post?

<{vega}>

That's literally human rights abuse, though. There's no reason to treat captives poorly, and they haven't even received trial yet.

yeah, they just happened to be on a boat smuggling drugs.

<{vega}>

Sorry we can't supply 5 star hotels on the seas for drug smugglers.

I'm sure prison inmates also unhappy with how hard their beds are and how shitty their food is.

And they do have a reason to lock captives up, because these guys are criminals who could throw them overboard and take over their ship.

proven drug smugglers should be shot. humanely, ofc, in the head.

I’m curious to know by what legal jurisdiction the Canadian navy and US coast guard can even do these joint operations where they’re arresting these guys in what I thought were international waters.

I'm sure prison inmates also unhappy with how hard their beds are and how shitty their food is.

And they do have a reason to lock captives up, because these guys are criminals who could throw them overboard and take over their ship.
Lol, 5 star hotels, nice strawman, not to mention making it sound like he said they shouldn't be locked up at all. You wouldn't make a short bus debate team.

Sounds like the US tortures drug smugglers. We dont torture people in Canada.

proven drug smugglers should be shot. humanely, ofc, in the head.

Sometimes I feel the same way about the inhumane prison system. Depending on the crime and history, you should either get a rehabilitation or a humane execution.

Right, it's either 5 star hotels for suspects of crimes or chained by the ankles and left on the deck.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent...streatment-of-drug-smugglers-at-sea-1.4751455

The complaints of 'human rights abuses':

Being a true progressive isn't just about supporting people when it's easy, like minorities, gays, women, etc. It's also about supporting people when it's hard, like pedophiles, drug dealers, gang bangers, murderers, etc. That's what separates the bonafide, high class, praise-worthy progressives from the virtue signaling jackasses.
Well yeah, drug smugglers are still human unless in this case the cartels were using dolphins. Human rights are supposed to apply to all humans, not just those humans you like, otherwise they'd be pointless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back