Can't turn off my brain when sleeping

Welcome to my life. Between pain, and just the way my mind works, getting to sleep generally sucks.

Nothing seems to help. I don't drink alcohol. No drugs. Rarely do I have more than 1 cup of coffee or anything with caffeine, and even rarer after noon.

Even sleep aids and stuff like melatonin don't work.
Same boat. Tried every suggestion under the sun besides hard drugs. Nothing works. I should be a zombie, but I am always fidgety and need to keep moving. Some people just cannot shut down easily. Wish I wasn't among them.

Drugs work. Benadryl or Tylenol PM.
Xanax. Opiates.

Cut off caffeine around lunch time.

Exercise.

But really ... drugs.

I had horrible insomnia my entire childhood and teen years, up until I was 21 or so. I just couldn't shut my mind off. What helped for me was taking up meditation, just regular old mindfulness meditation.

I use to have the problem but as I got older is become less of a problem. In my 30s it's pretty much not an issue

Has anyone else been having this problem? I can't stop thinking when I'm on my bed, trying to get some sleep. Usually, this happens every once in awhile. I gotta get up at 5am for work and I'm laying there on my bed past midnight, my brain going 100 miles per hour. It's been a week now, every night I've been doing this and I need sleep. I can't seem to take a nap either. Maybe for only a few minutes.
Yea this happens to me sometimes

I find that putting something on relaxing puts my mind at ease. For me it's this.

Put it on the TV in my bedroom and it helps me sleep soundly

This is also quite effective

Has anyone else been having this problem? I can't stop thinking when I'm on my bed, trying to get some sleep. Usually, this happens every once in awhile. I gotta get up at 5am for work and I'm laying there on my bed past midnight, my brain going 100 miles per hour. It's been a week now, every night I've been doing this and I need sleep. I can't seem to take a nap either. Maybe for only a few minutes.
Only for the last 30 years or so.

I just slap on some music and rock myself to sleep.

I've always continued thinking while sleeping. Many times I've encountered problems that I came up with solutions to while sleeping. They've never kept me awake and I've always slept well. Now I'm old with a bad back. It takes a while to get my body into a position that lessens the pain. I have to get up to piss every 2 or three hours then try to get back in position to get back to sleep. Being retired, I can sleep whenever I want to.

I've always continued thinking while sleeping. Many times I've encountered problems that I came up with solutions to while sleeping. They've never kept me awake and I've always slept well. Now I'm old with a bad back. It takes a while to get my body into a position that lessens the pain. I have to get up to piss every 2 or three hours then try to get back in position to get back to sleep. Being retired, I can sleep whenever I want to.
A Zero G adjustable bed has been a life saver for me and my back. Got grade 2 Spondy and can’t sleep flat any more. And when I’m on duty I sleep in a Zero G recliner instead of the flat beds in the station.

The worst thing you can do is stress out about it.

Lay down, close your eyes. Even if you don't get great sleep you'll be rested and you'll be ok.

Eat more carbs when you are having dinner

That is a calling, you need to listen and follow the trail.

Something is wrong and you know it, and you are not properly addressing it.

Fix that shit.

I have had that problem for a few decades.

Try practicing turning off your brain when you are not trying to sleep. Meditation, breathing exercises, or whatever. Then use that to start relaxing when you need to sleep as well.

Also, thinking about something mildly interesting that isn't too complicated nor stressful helps me as well.

The other day, tried to sleep extra early to wake up extra early and impossible to sleep. Only had maybe 3 hrs of sleep.

Empty your head onto the page before sleeping, it can help

Increase your Magnesium just before you go to bed.

I have been that way at times. Two things really help, rigorous exercise, and drugs. Maybe not both together, but either or.

Back