Can't turn off my brain when sleeping

Has anyone else been having this problem? I can't stop thinking when I'm on my bed, trying to get some sleep. Usually, this happens every once in awhile. I gotta get up at 5am for work and I'm laying there on my bed past midnight, my brain going 100 miles per hour. It's been a week now, every night I've been doing this and I need sleep. I can't seem to take a nap either. Maybe for only a few minutes.
I recommend starting with an internet search for the term "sleep hygiene". It should give you a list of things you can eliminate as possible causes.

Ironically, I keep waking up at 5am lately. I've been having trouble sleeping through the night for years now but for me it's due to several things at once.

You can try meditation, avoiding staring at little screens for about 2 hours before bed time, a relaxing bath, stuff like that. It helps to also moderate your consumption of caffeine, obviously, and avoid food or alcohol during that period also. You might also benefit from some light exercise. You can combine breathing exercises with some yoga, for example.

I grant you may be aware of all this; just throwing out some ideas in case it helps.

If you're on anti-depressants that can sometimes trigger what's called hypomania--I suggest you should see your doctor if that's the case.

Good luck; getting too little sleep night after night not only sucks, but it's really bad for your mental health.

Was listening to Rogan 2060 Gary Brecka, he talks about the racing thoughts at bedtime. I need to listen again because there's a hell of a lot of information, I think he suggested L theanine same as Huberman.
I feel like you should try every other option available before introducing a new ingredient.

Separately, what is the scientific basis for this suggestion?

After sleeping terrible for years, I made some lifestyle changes about 15 years ago and have slept like a baby ever since.

1. Work out early in the day, every day.
2. No caffeine.
3. Cut out as many processed foods and refined sugar as you can. Fried and fast food as well.
4. Hydrate. I am the type that needs to force myself to hydrate, as I am rarely thirsty.
5. Added these foods daily: Blueberries, Nuts, Banana, Avocado, Leafy Greens, Green Tea, Cinnamon, and Ginger chews.
6. Supplement daily with: B, D, Milk Thistle, Fish Oil.

When I go to bed, I am tired. I never look at my phone while in bed. I read. When I close my eyes I am asleep in under a minute. I attribute it to the diet and lifestyle changes.

I feel like you should try every other option available before introducing a new ingredient.

Separately, what is the scientific basis for this suggestion?
Agreed.

Lots of stuff online, studies etc.

Has anyone else been having this problem? I can't stop thinking when I'm on my bed, trying to get some sleep. Usually, this happens every once in awhile. I gotta get up at 5am for work and I'm laying there on my bed past midnight, my brain going 100 miles per hour. It's been a week now, every night I've been doing this and I need sleep. I can't seem to take a nap either. Maybe for only a few minutes.
I had this issue all my life, up until about five years ago. I just assumed 'it is what it is', typical guy attitude. I finally mentioned the issue to my then new doctor. He was surprisingly proactive about tackling the problem, and not just "count sheep", etc bullshit. He asked me what happens when I try to sleep, I told him my mind keeps going. As soon as I said that he wrote me a script for seroquel. Now, it's used for various mental things but has been known to help aid sleep for us night over thinkers, in low doses. It fucking worked. Ever since then I rarely have a bad sleep, maybe once every six months (instead of every night). Your results might vary, but something to talk about with your doctor and maybe giving it a shot, if it's a mind going at night thing. I will also add. I have a buddy with the same issue, he tried seroquel, but didn't work for him, but another med his doc put him on did...so don't be wigged out if there's some trial and error. I just lucked out that on my first try with seroquel it worked for me, been five years now, plus I have zero side affects, wake up with no drowsiness, etc. Getting my sleep improved changed my life soooo much for the better.

Good luck!

I can relate. Thing that helps me nowadays are podcasts. I listen to ones I already listened to, that way I'm not gonna be that interested in what's being said and I'm just lulled into sleep listening to it. I can give recommendations if you want.

old art bell episodes knock me out at night

Last edited:
Back