Carbs not necessary after workout?

BlackBeltNow

Red Belt, but BlackBeltLastYear
Reaction score
My favorite site for supps and knowledge is www.ast-ss.com, mainly b/c theyr'e legit science. They discovered ephedra first from the chinese herb ma huang (and purified it) as well as do the first creatine-serum debunking experiment, which is common in many college and high school labs.

Anyway i notice the site never says to take carbs after a workout, even on the carb section. Even their weight gainer has little carbs. It's not that they say "don't take carbs after workout". They just never said anything.

I think it makes sense. Lifting, although intense, doesn't actually burn a lot of energy. When I bodybuilded 5 years ago, carbs was an insuline spike. I haven't been following the science, so i don't know if this is a myth or still considered the common practice.

I've always been told that after workout you need a PWO recovery drink with a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein to help your muscles recover.

this would lead me to believe that carbs are indeed needed for PWO and during, IMO.

I take about 20g whey, 20g MPI and 30-50g carbs during and whats left after a lifting session, for the same reasoning as you mentioned, insulin spike and recovery.

During thai practise I'll take a serving and a hald of accelerade and some bcaa, which is 4:1 carb:protein.

I might have to cut down though, having a desk job and doing that is making me put on weight :redface:

I have a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein after any workout whether its lifting or cardio.

Most people here will tell you to take carbs after working out, and SWTA Coach will disagree.

My favorite site for supps and knowledge is www.ast-ss.com, mainly b/c theyr'e legit science. They discovered ephedra first from the chinese herb ma huang (and purified it) as well as do the first creatine-serum debunking experiment, which is common in many college and high school labs.

Anyway i notice the site never says to take carbs after a workout, even on the carb section. Even their weight gainer has little carbs. It's not that they say "don't take carbs after workout". They just never said anything.

I think it makes sense. Lifting, although intense, doesn't actually burn a lot of energy. When I bodybuilded 5 years ago, carbs was an insuline spike. I haven't been following the science, so i don't know if this is a myth or still considered the common practice.

:eek: You...must....be...kidding...??!!!

Most people here will tell you to take carbs after working out, and SWTA Coach will disagree.

Not to put words in Coach's mouth, but I believe he does support the idea of carbs PWO, but not for an insulin spike.

Not using carbs PWO just seems wrong, isulin aside:

A. Most people will eat carbs some time during the day, so why not PWO when your body can handle them?
B. Hard training burns glycogen. Carbs help restore glycogen. Done.

:rolleyes:

Jesus can you read:rolleyes: ? Where have I EVER said no carbs, do a search on my name and back it up before posting bull shit. I do LOW GI PWO not insulin BS. Simple as that since there are a plethra of mechanisms going on in your body as it is.

Carbs are needed PWO, no way around it, well there is one way, but that is extreme measures when making weight for a fight. Yes it uses the dreaded word glutamine lol. But anyways, I agre with carbs PWo myself and every client of mine does it. Lol that is funny though, you know what they say about assuming.

If any of you care to educate yourself. Not you Xtrainer:)

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=475312&highlight=PWO

I read the first article you posted, and skimed the others. Can you give me a sample "procedure" after a workout? I dont relaly need education on insulin spiking, since when I bodybuilded 5 years ago, that was the standard procedure

So the point is, dont' do an insuline spike, and eat low GI carbs (but don't eat no carbs)? what is "post-workout". How many minutes after your workout is the latest to consume a carb? Is 1 hour okaay or too long?

I do LOW GI PWO not insulin BS. Simple as that since there are a plethra of mechanisms going on in your body as it is.

For clarity sake, are you saying that simple carbs have little to no place in your diet and that you aim for mostly complex, low-GI carbs? Such as rolled oats PWO instead of simple carbs?

I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting the point clearly.

I'm looking at my nutrition and I eat a ton of fruits instead of vegetables because fruits are sweet and tasty and easy to prepare. While they are alkaline and offer vitamins and antioxidants, I think that I am taking too many calories and sugars here where I need to be focusing on veggies. This week I'm focusing on removing my fruit supply and replacing it with veggie options because I think this is one of my biggest gaps I have in my diet.

If you're taking low-GI complex carbs PWO instead of simple carbs for the insulin spike, then I don't see where you'd ever have the time of day for simple carbs, which might be a good thing. Do you cut out all unnecessary sugars in your diet? While strict, if the benefits are there, I'd be all for it. A small price, to me.

Let me know if I'm reading you wrong. Currently, I am using powdered gatorade during and post-workout for the energy boost I'm getting from the sugar. It feels great but I wonder if I'm making a mistake.

Why do you need simple carbs? I mean really think about it. Not saying all of them are bad and they have their place. But really. If things are working for you, then don't change anything, otherwise it might be time for a change.

I'm looking for ways to optimize my nutrition. It may never be perfect because of conflicting information in science and my own discipline but I have the time and the interest to get as much out of my fuel as I can.

My information has come mainly from Berardi sources and this forum and I'm trying to understand better the nutritional timing and what is best. It gets confusing as I try to understand the basics though.

for instance, JB has stated that a balanced diet means that you're getting 1/3 of your caloric intake from fat, but if fat should not be in your workout window, you're not getting 1/3 of your calories from that meal from healthy fats. It's not tearing the whole plan up but it leaves room for error so I'm trying to understand what I am missing. The main JB source is the "7 (or 10) habits of good nutrition."

So apparently I need to be timing my fat, and cutting it out of the window. That's not a huge hurdle to jump.

Also, I need to be timing my carbs. Vegetables should be the carb source for all my anytime meals because they contain vitamins and minerals and antioxidants and are alkaline to help balance the acidic diet from meats and grains. Ok. PWO I need a starch carb like rolled oats to refuel carbs to recover. Ok. I used to think that high-GI simple carbs would make more of spike, and they do, but I'm now learning that that is not optimal because you're screwing with your insulin levels, and keeping insulin regular is a good base of a solid diet.

Then I learn from your linked thread that simple carbs are optimal for during workout, so I feel better about keeping my gatorade on hand during my training because I feel effects and results from it.

Is your "during workout" time your only time for simple carbs?

I'm looking for simple rules to follow.

for instance, JB has stated that a balanced diet means that you're getting 1/3 of your caloric intake from fat, but if fat should not be in your workout window, you're not getting 1/3 of your calories from that meal from healthy fats. It's not tearing the whole plan up but it leaves room for error so I'm trying to understand what I am missing. The main JB source is the "7 (or 10) habits of good nutrition."

This is more of a daily recommendation and not on a per meal basis. Peri-workout meals/supplementation will be heavier in carbs and many of your other meals will be heavier in fats. Also, JB's ratios are more of a guideline than a rule. Your macronutrient ratios will depend on your lifestyle, genetics, and goals.

Vegetables should be the carb source for all my anytime meals

Yes, eat veggies whenever you can.

Then I learn from your linked thread that simple carbs are optimal for during workout, so I feel better about keeping my gatorade on hand during my training because I feel effects and results from it.

I commented in another thread on this but adding some protein to the Gatorade might be a good idea.

If eating oats PWO, how many grams of carbs should I take? Atm my PWO is 24g of ON Whey and half a banana.

For the fighters that I train, it depends on your goals:

LOSE FAT/MAINTAIN MUSCLE & WEIGHT
- Take about 10-15 g of whey protein and 20-30 g of carbs (gatorade, juice) during weight training
- I recommend doing this during MMA training as well for most fighters. Some who have to lose a lot of fat don't get this special drink.
- Eat a healthy meal including complex carbs (brown rice), protein, and healthy fats within 1.5 hours of training.

LOSE FAT/GAIN MUSCLE
- Do the above during training.
- Take a PWO drink within 30 minutes after training, that includes 20-30 g protein and 40-60 g carbs, depending on your weight class.
- Eat a healthy meal including complex carbs (brown rice), protein, and healthy fats within 1.5 hours of training.

My problem is that training ends around 9pm, so for the most part I come home, drink a shake, and sleep. Would having some oats as part of my PWO so soon before sleeping affect me negatively in any way, considering my goal is to lose a few more pounds?

LoL, holy crap, are we really going to have this discussion again?

:rolleyes:

Jesus can you read:rolleyes: ? Where have I EVER said no carbs, do a search on my name and back it up before posting bull shit. I do LOW GI PWO not insulin BS. Simple as that since there are a plethra of mechanisms going on in your body as it is.
You took that way too seriously, but then again, you always do.

Back