Catch Wrestling United IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see any results on fight finder yet, but always good to hear about CAAC influenced fighters doing well. Interesting record on that guy. I love to see the guys who struggled early and then seem to find there stride. Alot of guys get thrown into the deep end in MMA early and alot don't learn how to swim. He seems to have learned.

Matt Tran fights next week from the same gym I think. Believe he's undefeated Featherweight.

Oops, thought XFC was last night. It's tonight, in about 20 minutes apparently. I won't be able to watch AXSTV, don't get it here.

Johnny Buck just won ...

1.gif

Ken Shamrock Shoot Interview (3/31/02)

Background on his athletic career- When he was about 5 years old, his family moved from Georgia to the Napa Valley area of California. He eventually got in trouble and ended up in and out of group homes, as were all of his brothers (He doesn

do catch guys prefer greco or freestyle takedowns in general or does it depend and is the back arch throw a favoured and why or is it from the pro-wrestling influence

Suplays and Saltos have always been in wrestling, before they were a part of what you're thinking pro-wrestling is. Catch has its own throws that are similar or the same, and took from other regional styles particularly Cumberland & Westmorland wrestling which was a throw focused sport not dissimilar to no gi judo (attacks on the legs were allowed, compared to Greco which is just upper body)

Catch Wrestling in Manhattan, New York with Dr Tom Sullivan.

http://celticdojo.com/catch-wresting/

I checked, and he is Level 1 certified with Billy Robinson, so you can learn some of the very simple basics with him.

Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8:30pm, by appointment only (presumably limited space).

No mention of cost, but first lesson is free.

From his website:

o tell you a little bit about myself and my experiences I

Any idea what his pre Billy Robinson grappling experience was? How many hours is level 1 again?

Also CACC influenced UFC fighter Buddy Roberts has a tough task this weekend against Okami. ;(

I've no idea about his previous grappling background, though he says he has no blackbelt in anything so at least he's not pretending.

Level 1 is the absolute base level, think it's a minimum of 20 hours but it's at Robinson's discretion.

Matt Tran also fights this weekend out of Team Huskey / Groundforce MMA, Billy Wicks lineage.

I've no idea about his previous grappling background, though he says he has no blackbelt in anything so at least he's not pretending.

Yeah, this is a good thing. It bothers me with the whole "30 years experience" without any clarification of what that may be tho.

Level 1 is the absolute base level, think it's a minimum of 20 hours but it's at Robinson's discretion.

I just don't understand the need to teach someone when you are at a basic, basic level of knowledge yourself. Just blows my mind.:icon_neut

Matt Tran also fights this weekend out of Team Huskey / Groundforce MMA, Billy Wicks lineage.

Awesome! I hope he does well and would love to see some actual Catch influence in his fighting. Alot of times you get these CACC guys who don't really display much Catch. The only guy i can think of as of late to show some actual Catch moves in the cage would be Brian Ebersole and Misha Tate.

I just don't understand the need to teach someone when you are at a basic, basic level of knowledge yourself. Just blows my mind.:icon_neut

Possibly because Robinson doesn't have many high level guys in America, or if he does they're retired themselves and Robinson is practically retired which is why he moved to Little Rock, Arkansas to be nearer his son (as far as I know his son isn't a wrestler, but an officer in the US military).

There's a couple of American guys who were part of Robinson's UWFi Snake Pit in Japan. Billy Scott is thought to be the best American pro wrestler out of that dojo, I think he may still pro wrestle. He has a gym in Kentucky. Scott was one of Gary Albright's famous victims for getting full nelson suplexed unconscious.

The other that I know of is Robert Lucarelli, who was one of Seth Petruzelli's first coaches. Lucarelli is retired now even from training due to a plague of injuries sustained over the years to his back, hips and knees.

Since Robinson started his certification through Scientific Wrestling, I think back in 2008, he only has a half dozen or so assistant coaches, and no full ones.

So the base Level 1 guys are a bit like Gracie Garages I suppose, only Robinson is the only one who can certify you, and he won't do it online, it has to be based on watching you on the mat for hours at a time. I think a full coach certification requires at least 1000 hours with Robinson, academic knowledge of Catch and the theory, as well as proven ability to coach and compete (through video evidence).

Possibly because Robinson doesn't have many high level guys in America, or if he does they're retired themselves and Robinson is practically retired which is why he moved to Little Rock, Arkansas to be nearer his son (as far as I know his son isn't a wrestler, but an officer in the US military).

There's a couple of American guys who were part of Robinson's UWFi Snake Pit in Japan. Billy Scott is thought to be the best American pro wrestler out of that dojo, I think he may still pro wrestle. He has a gym in Kentucky. Scott was one of Gary Albright's famous victims for getting full nelson suplexed unconscious.

The other that I know of is Robert Lucarelli, who was one of Seth Petruzelli's first coaches. Lucarelli is retired now even from training due to a plague of injuries sustained over the years to his back, hips and knees.

Since Robinson started his certification through Scientific Wrestling, I think back in 2008, he only has a half dozen or so assistant coaches, and no full ones.

So the base Level 1 guys are a bit like Gracie Garages I suppose, only Robinson is the only one who can certify you, and he won't do it online, it has to be based on watching you on the mat for hours at a time. I think a full coach certification requires at least 1000 hours with Robinson, academic knowledge of Catch and the theory, as well as proven ability to coach and compete (through video evidence).

All good info KJ. I suppose if Billy says they are good enough to coach than so be it....... i wonder what his requirements or thoughts are on Level 1 guys going out and actually teaching people.

Interesting stuff.

I'm not definite, but I think they need to send him video of them coaching from the get go, like a training diary, so he can (and invariably will) correct. From what I've seen of Robinson, he has one of the highest attentions to detail out of the grappling coaches out there, even compared to video I've seen of some of the top BJJ coaches & competitors of the modern era.

I should add, you'll get some good instruction from the guys at Westside MMA in Little Rock, Arkansas who have benefited from Robinson coaching there a couple of times a week over the last few years. I would think people like Roli Delgado and Hillary Williams could competently teach Robinson's catch wrestling, and since they have a high level in BJJ should have adapted to it more easily than someone starting from scratch (in a similar vein, Sam Kressin was a BJJ blackbelt before he started training with Robinson, and became one of his first certified assistant coaches).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back