Catch Wrestling United

I think Robert Drysdale explains 'Gogo' in gogoplata refers to the front part of the throat in Portuguese.

I think the 'plata' part refers to the shoulder or part of the shoulder but I'm not definite on that.

I think Robert Drysdale explains 'Gogo' in gogoplata refers to the front part of the throat in Portuguese.

I think the 'plata' part refers to the shoulder or part of the shoulder but I'm not definite on that.

A quick search shows "gogo" as slang for Adams apple in Portuguese.

Last edited:

Title Fight Productions said:
A quick search shows "gogo" as slang for Adams apole in Portuguese.
Yup, he says exactly that in his Nth Dimension Jiu-Jitsu dvd series:

[YT]aML_VGJhLyE[/YT]

Good a place as any for my first post.

I'm wondering if there is any where that people know of in the Northeast of england that does Catch.

About 10 years ago I was training under a guy named Gary Pollard, but he appears to have dropped off the map since I've been away.

If theres anyone that can help it would be much appreciated.

This is interesting coming from someone with a BJJ heavy influence. Do you not think GJJ was this same way? Did they not take moves from another art, rename a lot of them for a small group of people (they selected to train) with a specialized knowledge?

At least like KJ said, a lot of the old Catch terms had foundation in working knowledge of tools, etc.

How about you explain to me the name Ezekiel choke!?

How bout omaplata and why is that any better than Coil lock?

Why Gogoplata good, scissor choke bad?

I will save you the time of googling, the answer is simple...... You're BJJ eccentric.

Just because you think these names for Catch moves are exotic and silly doesn't mean they are, it just means they are to you, ya dig?

Calling me BJJ eccentric is just a silly ad homeniem attack. Some people assum that if someone says something bad about chocolate, it is because they love vanilla. Life doesn't work that way.

I don't really think ANY grappling art takes any move from ANY other grappling art. Moves are moves. The concepts behind of a system of moves are what's original?

Why do I say Ezekiel choke? Cause that's the name everyone uses. Why do I call it an omoplata? Cause that's the name everyone uses. Why do I call it a gogoplata? Because that's the name everyone uses.

Ezekiel choke is the name that rose to prominence. That's why I say that instead of morote sode jime. Kesa gatame seems just as popular as scarf hold but its variations are descriptive....thats why I use it. I also call an americana, a keylock sometimes. Why? Becausemy first two and a half years of grappling came from a CSW student and that's what he called it. Didn't hear the term Americana until I started training with actual brazilians.

If I'm having a conversation with someone and they keep referring to a rear naked choke I am not going to correct them and call it a Mata Leon. That's what a bjj-centric person would do. When talking about side control I'm not going to insist it is called Cien Kilos. Side control is the term that is used and I won't get butt hurt when people don't use the old bjj nomenclature.

Most of you may not realize it in this post but I don't get pedantic about words.

Good post.

In Catch-wrestling contest one can win py pin or submission. Basically thats it. Catch-wrestler is someone who in his training focuses on becoming good at this kind of wrestling.

Ah, at least that's a consistent theory! I know right now ONQ is running grappling tournaments in Europe with those rules.

In my opinion Combat Wrestling came out of Catch, in a similar way nogi submission grappling largely came out of BJJ. I think BJJ is also defined by the gi as well as the concept of progression through positions thought to be increasing in dominance where offensive opportunity increases, while the opponent's defensive or counter-offensive opportunities decrease. Scoring points in BJJ and nogi submission grappling is based on this concept, although finish only competition seems to be becoming more popular.

Were there any particular esoteric names you were thinking of? I could probably track down the etymology unless it's a really modern name someone's recently made up.

I agree. Not sure about the "gi" being necessary for it to be BJJ. I wouldn't promote without it, but many coaches are.

Last edited:
Calling me BJJ eccentric is just a silly ad homeniem attack. Some people assum that if someone says something bad about chocolate, it is because they love vanilla. Life doesn't work that way.

I don't really think ANY grappling art takes any move from ANY other grappling art. Moves are moves. The concepts behind of a system of moves are what's original?

Why do I say Ezekiel choke? Cause that's the name everyone uses. Why do I call it an omoplata? Cause that's the name everyone uses. Why do I call it a gogoplata? Because that's the name everyone uses.

Ezekiel choke is the name that rose to prominence. That's why I say that instead of morote sode jime. Kesa gatame seems just as popular as scarf hold but its variations are descriptive....thats why I use it. I also call an americana, a keylock sometimes. Why? Becausemy first two and a half years of grappling came from a CSW student and that's what he called it. Didn't hear the term Americana until I started training with actual brazilians.

If I'm having a conversation with someone and they keep referring to a rear naked choke I am not going to correct them and call it a Mata Leon. That's what a bjj-centric person would do. When talking about side control I'm not going to insist it is called Cien Kilos. Side control is the term that is used and I won't get butt hurt when people don't use the old bjj nomenclature.

Most of you may not realize it in this post but I don't get pedantic about words.

Sorry man this seems like a complete copout.

Well for starters there was no ad hominem attack what so ever. It's great that (in my opinion) you view things through a "BJJ ecentric" view. The thing I was pointing out was two fold.

1. All your complaints about CACC can easily be applied to BJJ and you ignored that.

2. Again, just because you see something one way or that BJJ guys see things in grappling a certain way because they train BJJ does not mean that someone who trains in another art is dumb for calling the moves they learned by the names given in there art.

I can understand the frustration of someone from CACC trying to correct someone talking about a Kimura by saying "you mean a DWL". But if you get upset at renaming moves and holds you should be all over 10th Planet and Eddie!!

You coming into a Catch as Catch Can thread saying if you don't call grappling moves By the "most popular" (BJJ) term and then getting upset about it is silly.

A lot of people in this thread care about Catch, respect Catch and some of us train in it. A little respect or understanding would be nice.

Again the main point is there is more than one way to look at something and just because it's different from the way you look at it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Imo your post was great, informative and helped continue an interesting topic......... Right up to the point where you couldn't help yourself from taking a shot at CACC. This is the reason I only quoted that section of your original post.

Last edited:
Good a place as any for my first post.

I'm wondering if there is any where that people know of in the Northeast of england that does Catch.

About 10 years ago I was training under a guy named Gary Pollard, but he appears to have dropped off the map since I've been away.

If theres anyone that can help it would be much appreciated.

The Snake Pit (Wigan) is doing their best to spred Catch. I guess they are in North-East og England, but maybe you could paricipate to their week-end seminars and take from there.

http://www.snakepitwigan.com/

https://www.facebook.com/snakepituk?fref=ts

The Snake Pit (Wigan) is doing their best to spred Catch. I guess they are in North-East og England, but maybe you could paricipate to their week-end seminars and take from there.

http://www.snakepitwigan.com/

https://www.facebook.com/snakepituk?fref=ts

Cheers for the reply, but I am looking for somewhere closer to home for more consistent training.

Was thinking about entering their middle weight tourney they have coming up, but its a little too much weight to drop in a few weeks!

The congratulations of United World Wrestling about the title won by Josh Barnett are very interesting.

Well for starters there was no ad hominem attack what so ever. It's great that (in my opinion) you view things through a "BJJ ecentric" view. The thing I was pointing out was two fold.

1. All your complaints about CACC can easily be applied to BJJ and you ignored that.

2. Again, just because you see something one way or that BJJ guys see things in grappling a certain way because they train BJJ does not mean that someone who trains in another art is dumb for calling the moves they learned by the names given in there art.

I can understand the frustration of someone from CACC trying to correct someone talking about a Kimura by saying "you mean a DWL". But if you get upset at renaming moves and holds you should be all over 10th Planet and Eddie!!

You coming into a Catch as Catch Can thread saying if you don't call grappling moves By the "most popular" (BJJ) term and then getting upset about it is silly.

A lot of people in this thread care about Catch, respect Catch and some of us train in it. A little respect or understanding would be nice.

Again the main point is there is more than one way to look at something and just because it's different from the way you look at it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Imo your post was great, informative and helped continue an interesting topic......... Right up to the point where you couldn't help yourself from taking a shot at CACC. This is the reason I only quoted that section of your original post.

Dont feed the troll

The original Combat Wrestling tournament was designed by guys with catch lineages and the competitors were guys with Catch lineages. I consider it Catch, and if not then an offshoot.

There are different types of BJJ tournament rule sets, doesnt mean the less popular ones are not BJJ.

Talking of Combat wrestling, did you see the guy who won the 82kg division? Good result for a guy who's trained by a fraude like me.

This looks interesting. Not all of the participants have been named, but I do know Alex Cook - one of the late Billy Robinson's first assistant coaches of the modern era - is competing, as is Aldo De Giorgi of Combat Base - the current British UK Open BJJ Gold Medalist (not sure what belt, he was a Purple belt in 2013)

Also announced is Tom Denham - Pro MMA Fighter, supposedly multiple times British Wrestling Champion ( Freestyle & Greco)

11165236_512078432273009_897996175764968286_n.jpg

My complaints on the BJJ community are nothing compared to what I say about the BJJ community. lol. guard pulling, leg locks, belt ranks, stripes, The IBJJF, training methods, group think are just a few things I harp on about multiple times a year. I've done that here for like....A DECADE.

Covered that. It's not about calling it something different. It's about getting mad when someone else calls it different. I don't think it is dumb to have different names. Who thinks that?

LOL, 10th planet doesn't get a pass.

I'm not sure what I'm not showing, but whatever it is I apologize for it. BTW, defining things by "right and wrong" is like the opposite of what I am. I don't see the world that way what so ever. I don't even use the phrase "wrong" in real life. I might call someone a liar (if they intentionally tell lies), but I would never call someone wrong.

Honestly, I think you're projecting. :(

Thank you, and if it makes you feel better, I take shots at everyone, but I do it for a reason.

Dont feed the troll

See! ^^ That's a cop out.

Last edited:
Back