Catch Wrestling United

Still hoping Josh will pop in and give some insight into the takedown he set up in the Ryon match.

I was a snap down with an underhook.

It's the start of this chain I did here:

https://www.facebook.com/JoshBarnettOfficial/posts/10152749000772108

Because they are likely backing away from the underhook you use the underhook to pull them forward and down with a level change and then catch the head/chin and finish to a front headlock/short offense.

Josh

Last edited:

Because they are likely backing away from the underhook you use the underhook to pull them forward and down with a level change and then catch the head/chin and finish to a front headlock/short offense.

Josh

Thanks a lot. My kid (11yrs old) will be able to implement this in his game. Right now he does similar stuff but as a counter. Would like to see him put it into effect as an attack.

And once again, Grappling Forum drama provides one of the most entertaining threads on Sherdog.

Keep it up grapplers, your drama is hilarious.

EDIT: Oh, and Josh, you're the fucking man. I've used that headlock/compression thing you tapped Lister with on a bunch of rolling partners. They all hate it. So... thanks haha.

Is there some sort of CACC encyclopedia/book of techniques that I can buy? I've seen the DVDs in Scientific Wrestling's web, but I'm looking for something more general and on paper.

Mitsuyo Maeda (Conde Coma) working some catch techniques.

11247804_10152984627959608_2766220245664593115_n.jpg

Trying to find out translation of Kanji now. I'm told by a guy on a catch facebook page the bottom says "... Ryu (flow/school) then phoenoetically katchtsu kanatsuka ...", and 前田 is 'Maeda'.

I am officially a fan of Josh!

Good luck in Japan! Will be rooting for you against Nelson.

i still want to see someone step up and face dan. dan has lived the blues. it's in his soul.

dan might name drop, but catch lineage is a mess -- a joke of all jokes -- so i could understand ambiguity and misappropriation on his part. basically: dan, as nefti has said, possesses an ability to grapple, the accumulation of years of training here and there, from 1997-2015, so he doesn't really have a lineage to piece together. his excessive name-dropping causes ire.

put dan in metamoris now. he is a sherdog/ug legend.

Marfa the closest thing would be an old navy book on wrestling. Let me dig mine up and post the exact title.

i still want to see someone step up and face dan. dan has lived the blues. it's in his soul.

dan might name drop, but catch lineage is a mess -- a joke of all jokes -- so i could understand ambiguity and misappropriation on his part. basically: dan, as nefti has said, possesses an ability to grapple, the accumulation of years of training here and there, from 1997-2015, so he doesn't really have a lineage to piece together. his excessive name-dropping causes ire.

put dan in metamoris now. he is a sherdog/ug legend.

That is the tragedy in all this, had he actually humbled himself and dedicated to a style no one would trash him to this degree. Now he had guys who has barely put any time on the mats like KJ talking down on him and mocking him for being afraid to fight a beast like kondo. Sad to say, he did it to himself.

Canadian Combat Wrestling trials:

Come take part in the first Canadian Combat Wrestling Team trials

Riverdale High school
5060 boul DesSources Montreal Qc

Registration deadline May 16th ( pre registration only )
cost: 40$

For Info and registration
[email protected]

Edit: Registration extended to may 20th

Last edited:

Josh

Nice video, but I have some critical comments.

1. You don't appear to be covered in sweat. Try sparring for 3 hours first. As well, be sure to tell us in the video or tag the names of the high level guys you were sparring with.
  2. Your partner seems far too large, relative to your size. Next time, try a partner at least 100 lbs lighter. Preferably a beginner, with no more than 4 months training experience.
  3. No hastily cut intro. Next time, put on a goddamn suit and a smile, and thank the viewing audience for watching your video.
  4. Far too succinct. Try to get involved in some kind of tangential diatribe about biomechanics and your intrinsic understanding of anatomy and motion. A video about that series you showed should be at LEAST 8 minutes long.

Just some thoughts on the expectation of technique videos.

For those reading this is how you respond to a question asking you to prove your statement with a passive aggressive insult with the added benefit of more name dropping than spilling an entire 18 wheeler full of those Coke cans.

I trained wrestling in HS under Mike Gannis and Jim Rohr. As well as Kevin Corbett and Dallas Delay. I also trained at the Wrestling Rhinos club under Mike Cooper and a host of other coaches and went to Jr Nationals 2 years in both Greco and Freestyle.

I did Judo at Budokan dojo in Seattle under Burt Mackey and John Schaedler. for a year. Trained another year in Judo as well under Jim Harrison in Missoula MT in addition to his entire system of Kickboxing, Karate, Self-defense, MMA which is all under the umbrella of Ronin Jitsu and Bushidokan Karate.

Trained Muay Thai to start under Sudjai Kutrakhun a Cambodian security guard at my HS in 1996 and then more under Edwin Romerosa in 96/97. Edwin trained in a variety of arts, Escrima under Sonny Umhad (sp?), Wing Chun under Jesse Glover, Muay Thai under Sujai, and some other arts as well. I too trained Escrima and Wing Chun with Edwin as well.

Muay Thai, Kickboxing, striking under Haru Shimanishi and Matt Hume from 1997-2005. Catch/MMA under Matt, Haru, with Todd Bjornathun, Doug Murphy at AMC 97-2005.

I lived in Tokyo for 2 years and I would come back to the states for a couple weeks at a time. I trained under Billy Robinson in Catch from 2003 until 2007 or so. Trained Muay Thai with Makoto Oe 2003-till every time I head over just about.

Trained boxing with Coach Bumblebee aka Willie Ray Briscoe, Stitch Duran, Oscar the Boxer Muniz, Jamal Abdullah. Trained with Minoru Suzuki. Tsuyoshi Kohsaka was one of my main training partners for years. Trained with Maurice Smith for about 4 years....I can go on, and on, and on and verify EVERY SINGLE THING behind my martial journey.

YOU on the other hand don't seem to understand in the least why any of us have a problem with you. It's not that you make technique vids or claim to be a "Catch-Jitsu" guy it's that you lie/embellish your credentials, constantly try to use the names and accomplishments of others to validate yourself(without actually earning any of it), spam the internet, and act as if you have somehow done something worthy of deserving praise from those of us who actually have. You constantly break the unwritten rule of training and talk all the time about how you got the better of this big name, or how that big name guy was struggling. It reeks of insecurity and is disrespectful.

It's clear you have some skills and understand techniques. It is clear you love martial arts. It is even more clear that you want to be famous and considered legitimate without putting the work in.

You edited your posts but I read you posts about wanting to be in EBI/Metamoris and said that no one but the winner impressed you at Road to Metamoris...which is incredibly insulting. You think you deserve to be in Metamoris? With what, a 1-3 MMA record (where you were soundly trounced in every loss), winning a grappling tournament that no one has ever heard of, getting waxed in Daidojuku (Kudo), self made YouTube videos of you crushing noobs you outweigh by 30+ lbs usually? Even that BJJ BB, Leke, fights at 145lbs and you post that as some sort of proof of your talents.

Our guy Karl would SLAUGHTER you in a grappling match. Moku would SMASH you flat as a penny, and my student Travis Newaza would TEAR your feet off and send them home with you. They train, compete, and put it on the line unlike yourself. They have proven their right to invited to compete in something as prestigious as Metamoris. You, have had all these year to compete in MMA, grappling, what-have-you and done so very little. You CHOSE not to compete but to instead, talk, and somehow believe that you deserve merit and respect.

I never would have called you out on Erik and such if YOU hadn't been the one to try and use it to dishonestly your own benefit.

My advice to you is to just STFU. From here on out, quit talking and start doing. Make your videos and don't name drop. Stop lying and embellishing.

Josh

RIP DanTheWolfman :(

You constantly break the unwritten rule of training and talk all the time about how you got the better of this big name, or how that big name guy was struggling.
interesting

there are guys that market their gym by uploading footage of them get the best out of known grapplers

LOLOL

Damn I feel bad for Dan now

interesting

there are guys that market their gym by uploading footage of them get the best out of known grapplers

In competition? That's fair game IMO. Posting up about how you beat a well known guy by one advantage when you were the last round of a 30 minute shark tank for him in training, and you outweighed him by 50lbs, etc, etc...that short of shit is unbearably obnoxious.

This Wolfman dude is constantly dropping shit like that into the mix to make himself sound better. I tapped this guy and this guy in training, I gave this guy or that guy problems, I leglocked this famous fighter, etc.

He must be dumb if he's been training for 20 years and still doesn't realize that everyone hates him for this exact reason. I mean the dude is a nobody who doesn't compete and came on here demanding to be let into Metamoris, he is utterly, utterly deluded.

Back