Cauliflower Ear Drainage

codemonkey76

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I have some minor swelling on one ear if i squeeze it i can feel it is fluid and it moves, is it worth getting it drained or will it just come back without surgery, it is not bad enough to go and get surgery on.

get some insulin needles, find the exact spot it's filled with fluid, drain it everytime it swells up. it will have a little hardening when all is said and done but that's just the way it goes. or you can go pay a doctor to drain it, sew it up and not train for a while, but either way your ear is going to a little changed.

it doesn't cost me anything to go to a GP, so maybe i will just go to my GP and get him to drain it? will it swell up again if i just get it drained and then forever use headgear?

like batman said. i just got some thin needles and drained mine about 8 times before it finally stopped swelling up. its scary at first, but it gets easier each time you do it.

Follow these steps:

1. Buy headgear
2. Get it drained yourself or by someone you trust is used to dealing with that shit.
3. Wear headgear

get some insulin needles, find the exact spot it's filled with fluid, drain it everytime it swells up. it will have a little hardening when all is said and done but that's just the way it goes. or you can go pay a doctor to drain it, sew it up and not train for a while, but either way your ear is going to a little changed.

+1. the doctor will do a crazy, long process which could end up doing more damage than good....by the way, how are your ears now soid?

its much easier to do it yourself, especially if its small. then, after you drain it, ice it down immediately for at least 30 mins a couple of times that day.

My ear is fine man. Thanks for asking. It actually does look better now that it's all healed up than it did before but I'm back training with no headgear. I'm getting ready for a few tournaments so I gotta stop depending on headgear to stop me from getting choked out. I overreacted about the whole ear thing, the doctor didn't do a bad job. I won't ever do it again though.

i bought some insulin needles, but couldn't do it, i poked about 3 holed in my ear and couldn't get anything out..., after i pulled the needle out i tried squeezing, but only got a couple of drops of blood, have i left it too late maybe???

Well.. is the swollen part rock-hard? Thats when it is too late.. I personally would've recommended a doctor.. My doctor did great, and although it never permanently went away, he got most of it out.

it's not hard yet, in fact i feel like i can move it around a bit, i think maybe the needles are too thin or the liquid is too thick to fit up the needle, maybe need a thicker needle, i am off to the GP on tuesday

Yeah dude, I recall the doctor telling me that they would have to use a thick needle when draining my ear. Give it a shot.

docotr, but sometimes theym ake it worse than it already is be careful.

I just got mine drained and I never wanna go through it again, was a horrible experiece! If you drain it at home, it will come back unless you keep it compressed. You need to keep the ear compressed for a few days to sstop the swelling from coming back

yeahhh... im gonna sum it up because you seemed slightly confused and even i was confused by the replies. draining it will make it less cauliflower-ie in the long run, but if you keep getting your ears rubbed it will still cauliflower, but at least youll be able to hear out of it if you get it drained.

well you should never have to get surgery on. you just go to the doctor and have them stick a needle in the area that has the juice and they just pull it out it takes like 5 minutes.

^ Unless you have bad cauliflower ear because of severe trauma.

I got my ear drained last week at an ENT doctor after realizing I had some blood in the top portion of my ear. I noticed the significant blood swelling in the ear for about 1-2 weeks but kept putting it off. The doctor ended up taking a CC of blood out of my ear. Rolled a few days later and it swelled up decent again but this time I thought of taking some Alleve (naproxen sodium) twice a day since it does such a good job on my knee inflammation. Sure enough after 5 days my ear is pretty much back to normal as I have no pain when touched. I would receommend the Alleve for minor ear inflammation, but getting head gear is definitely the real preventive measure for a long term solution....probably getting one this weekend.

I got my ear drained last week at an ENT doctor after realizing I had some blood in the top portion of my ear. I noticed the significant blood swelling in the ear for about 1-2 weeks but kept putting it off. The doctor ended up taking a CC of blood out of my ear. Rolled a few days later and it swelled up decent again but this time I thought of taking some Alleve (naproxen sodium) twice a day since it does such a good job on my knee inflammation. Sure enough after 5 days my ear is pretty much back to normal as I have no pain when touched. I would receommend the Alleve for minor ear inflammation, but getting head gear is definitely the real preventive measure for a long term solution....probably getting one this weekend.

you took alleve to reduce fluid build up in your ear? bullshit.

the doc just told me to ice it... and he gave me some anti-biotics incase i infected it... he was not happy that i stuck a needle in it, lol

you took alleve to reduce fluid build up in your ear? bullshit.

You caught me...I decided today I would scam the entire Sherdog community and tell them I took alleve for ear inflamation. Yesterday I claimed to beat Chuck Lidell and Rampage Jackson in a streetfight at the same time.

I have had inflamation in every part of my body since I started training and for a couple of the inuries the doctor prescribed Naproxen sodium which is basically Alleve. Keep in mind I don't have full fledged Cauliflower Ear. I actually rolled tonight and I feel some fluid and inflamation back but definitely not as bad as when I had it drained. Again tomorrow I get some head gear and wear for a few weeks as too much Alleve isn't great for your stomach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back