Media Chandler calls for a fight against Islam in Abu Dhabi

Islam will NEVER accept it.

Chandler is 10x better than Dariush

Im well aware that Gamrot is a high level grappler I just dont think you should be this confident that he completely shutdowns Makhachevs grappling when first he is not the better wrestler and also has such a significant strength disadvantage. He couldnt even implement his wrestling heavy gameplan against Arman a lesser wrestler than Islam until Arman gassed in the 3rd. Not to mention what would happen if Makachev with his god tier top control found himself in the positions which Arman a worse grappler got to against Gamrot.
Islam would be clear favorite. I dont think Gamrot will get much success in taking Islam down, beside maybe 1-2 TD leading to nothing worthwhile. But Gamrot has better boxing and is the most likely guy to stop Islams game. Gamrot will stop many of Islam TD, but not all. But Gamrot doesnt only have great wrestling, he is also a high level grappler (ADCC WW European champion). Gamrot will give Islam a hard time keeping him down. He got out of Arman's top control quite easily, will stuggle with Islam's top control much more, but still IMO nobody else in LW has higjer chance of stopping Islams TD and top control game.

At this point, I don't care who fights who at LW, as long as they all get booked SOON

Try winning a fight against an opponent with a winning record first Mike.

<YeahOKJen>
EDIT: just a reminder kids his last two wins were Tony Ferguson & Dan Hooker.

Assuming you mean a winning record in the last X fights, with X being the maximum number of fights during which such fighter does not have a winning record. (In particular you might not want to be so hard on Hooker since it’s Islam’s marquee win at the moment).

Hooker and Ferguson are still good fighters and are not easy to stop, and Chandler blasted them. Poirier (does he suck now too or is he still good?) had recently gone five hard rounds with Hooker. He also put on barn-burners with the current champion and no. 1/2 contender.

None of those four things are easy to do. They were also entertaining. Islam (and his fans) want Islam to be champ but they also presumably want him to grow in popularity. Good way to do that would be to win a big, exciting fight.

But whatever, we’ll see what happens.

Wait then who do you think deserves to fight Oliveria for the title?
Conor Mcgregor.
Nah just joking, but really?

Since Olivera is out for the year. I’d like to see another fight from some of the other LWs and make a claim for it. Islam and chandler for a non-title eliminator would be great, throw Dariush in that mix. But I don’t think there is a clear 1-2 guys who can make a solid claim for a title fight.
I also don’t see any reason to rush a LW title fight without Olivera either, not a fan of interim belts.

Book it Dana! Chandler is a stud. He also put up the best fight against oli.

Islam would be clear favorite. I dont think Gamrot will get much success in taking Islam down, beside maybe 1-2 TD leading to nothing worthwhile. But Gamrot has better boxing and is the most likely guy to stop Islams game. Gamrot will stop many of Islam TD, but not all. But Gamrot doesnt only have great wrestling, he is also a high level grappler (ADCC WW European champion). Gamrot will give Islam a hard time keeping him down. He got out of Arman's top control quite easily, will stuggle with Islam's top control much more, but still IMO nobody else in LW has higjer chance of stopping Islams TD and top control game.
This I agree with. I really hope we get to see them go at it. One of the best fights in the division without a doubt

<YeahOKJen>
Now remind everyone of Islam's last 2 wins......

Anyway it doesn't matter if Oliveira isn't involved.
giphy.gif

Dariush is an over-ranked journeyman...

I don't necessarily disagree, I think there's clear weakpoints to his game but he put in the work and got a win streak of 7 fights and multiple top 10 wins regardless. He's well rounded, hard hitting from the left side, great grappling and guard, tough. So it doesn't really if he's overrated or not.

This shows that the division does not see Oliveira as the champ.

Islam is seen as the next title contender who other top LWs want to call out.

Chandler has made it pretty clear he wants to be a UFC champion. All of his actions since coming into the UFC have been directed towards his ultimate goal of being champion. Let's see Chandler sign the fight without a title on the line.
Let's see Islam sign the fight with Chandler. He's under the impression he should get a title shot without ever defeating a top contender. Charles should do want he wants, after the way they fucked him, and not lose his belt.

<YeahOKJen>
Dan Hooker somehow went from a "savage" who gave Poirier a very close fight to being a bum over night for people on here

This shows that the division does not see Oliveira as the champ.

Islam is seen as the next title contender who other top LWs want to call out.
Anybody who doesn't see Charles as the champ is a dumbass.

<YeahOKJen>

It's contingent on Oliveira not wanting to fight Islam in reasonable time.

Let's see Islam sign the fight with Chandler. He's under the impression he should get a title shot without ever defeating a top contender. Charles should do want he wants, after the way they fucked him, and not lose his belt.
I don't think Islam personally is all that worried about the situation. If he needs to win another fight he'll go for it. He has a lot of confidence and a great team behind him. It's his fans and his manager who turns people off in my opinion. I do think Volk deserves a shot at LW though as well and if he can fight before 2023 that's what should be next for Charles.

The situation at LW really bothers me. Oliveira is not technically the champ, but IMO still should be considered as one. But when you look at the rabked LW figjers you really got two camps that dont fight each other. You got the old guard:

Poirier, Gaethje, Chandler, RDA, Ferguson, McGregor. All are at least 33y old, nobody got a better record than 3-2 in last 5 and the youngest opponent the fought at LW is 32y old 1-4 Hooker ( RDA won against 29y old Lee, but at WW).

On the other side you got:
Makhachev, 30y and 10-0
Dariush, 33y and 7-0
Gamrot, 31y and 4-0
Fiziev, 29y and 5-0
Arman, 25y and 6-1
Turner, 27y and 5-0
Ismagulov, 31y and 19-0

I dont get why RDA is pretty much the only guy fighing an young rnaked figjer on a streak? Why do these new guys have to get these boxing streaks and get past physical prime to fight for title or at least top5 status?

Back