Media Chandler: I would beat Islam Makhachev in a wrestling match

So show us by fighting Arman Tsarukyan. Isn't this guy 2-3 in the UFC and he's campaigning for a 2nd title shot? And the only guys he beaten have losing records in the UFC over the last few years too. Remember when Michael Chandler didn't know who Islam Makhachev was and didn't think fighting him would make sense? Now he wants a title shot vs Islam and asks for a title shot leading up to and after every fight? Jesus this has gotten annoying.

I think Arman weathers the storm and drowns him btw.

Hoot it, let em fight in the parking garage lol.
D2sl2ATWsAAkENQ.jpg
1441082198.jpg

I think Arman weathers the storm and drowns him btw.

Oh, Arman would be a clear favorite and everyone knows it. If Arman isn't minimum -180 when the lines drop hypothetically or not, I'd be surprised. Chandler never evolved from a decade ago, I can't stress this enough when I saw him rising up in the Bellator tournament before fighting Alvarez the first time I remember telling people "I think he could be the best LW in the world" and I think that still could have been true but he never really added to his striking or grappling nor did he ever improve upon his gas tank. He's a very gifted athlete with very clear strengths and clear flaws who is now aging rapidly and out of his prime. Also Hooker and Tony Ferguson were some of the biggest softball "ranked" matchups the UFC could have ever possibly given this fucking guy.

does Chandler know who Islam is ? he was talking shit before and now he is begging

Oh, Arman would be a clear favorite and everyone knows it. If Arman isn't minimum -180 when the lines drop hypothetically or not, I'd be surprised. Chandler never evolved from a decade ago, I can't stress this enough when I saw him rising up in the Bellator tournament before fighting Alvarez the first time I remember telling people "I think he could be the best LW in the world" and I think that still could have been true but he never really added to his striking or grappling nor did he ever improve upon his gas tank. He's a very gifted athlete with very clear strengths and clear flaws who is now aging rapidly and out of his prime. Also Hooker and Tony Ferguson were some of the biggest softball "ranked" matchups the UFC could have ever possibly given this fucking guy.

Yeah I remember when he was fighting Eddie back then, and he looks the same now just a little slower.
I feel like that happens to a lot of fighters though, they never really grow and they're ok getting by with their current skill set.

Problem with that is other guys are growing to beat the style they bring and by the time they feel like they should grow it's too late.

Arman is gaining experience but he's clearly working on becoming a very well rounded fighter.
He's not resting on his laurels.

I think it would be an awesome fight to make, but we both know that Chandler knows, he'd most likely lose that fight.
The days of challenging yourself against the best to be the best are in the past unfortunately.

The ones that do take that route will always be better for it sir.

its honestly impressive how blindly this dude believes in himself despite having a losing record in the ufc

He's definitely delusional sir.
Acts like he best everyone he's faced, yet the 2 guys he beat were the shell of Tony and a shop worn Hooker lol.

its honestly impressive how blindly this dude believes in himself despite having a losing record in the ufc

Yes, he does have a losing record but Hooker is the only one he fought who wasn't some type of title holder. The other 4 fights are all against former interim or undisputed champions.

Yes, he does have a losing record but Hooker is the only one he fought who wasn't some type of title holder. The other 4 fights are all against former interim or undisputed champions.

Tony was toast before the fight ever started, and Hooker looked like a scared kid in there.

He just ducked Armen who isn't the wrestler Islam is.

Chandler is as cringe as ever

Maybe go back and watch Arman vs Islam, the first 1 rounds for tit for tat offensively and defensively for both of them, and that was Arman at 22 years old on short notice in his debut. Furthermore, Islam has never wrestled someone in his MMA career with as good of defense as Damir Ismagulov the way Arman did. The only real difference is Islam's cardio has looked considerably better than Armans who is in my opinion the divisions 2nd best Wrestler in the UFC with Gamrot probably being 3rd.

Yeah I remember when he was fighting Eddie back then, and he looks the same now just a little slower.
I feel like that happens to a lot of fighters though, they never really grow and they're ok getting by with their current skill set.

Problem with that is other guys are growing to beat the style they bring and by the time they feel like they should grow it's too late.

Arman is gaining experience but he's clearly working on becoming a very well rounded fighter.
He's not resting on his laurels.

I think it would be an awesome fight to make, but we both know that Chandler knows, he'd most likely lose that fight.
The days of challenging yourself against the best to be the best are in the past unfortunately.

The ones that do take that route will always be better for it sir.

I think it's more common fighters have certain holes or limits to their game that never get filled or expanded upon. Usually guys still improve a bit more from such an early age even if it's just IQ, fluidity, sharpening technique, composure etc. But yeah, Chandler peaked early and has just stagnated since. I think in part because he didn't need to get better, Eddie Alvarez is to this day the best fighter Chandler has ever beaten and probably the 2nd best fighter he's ever faced (its close between Alvarez and Poirier, Bendo was too out of his prime). And Chandlers style has always relied on his athleticism and him being the hammer.

Honestly not a crazy claim.
Pure wrestling is a different style and Chandler was a NCAA div 1 wrestler. He isn’t some McDojo black belt.

Wrestling match I think Chandler plays the system to score points and win. In a full on grappling match I think Chandler gasses out and gets controlled and subbed.
Islam wrestles with better pure wrestlers daily at AKA, russian wrestling champions, I bet Chandler hardly even wrestles these days. If he was that good he wouldn't be getting reversed by Gaethje and Poirier so easily

Maybe go back and watch Arman vs Islam, the first 1 rounds for tit for tat offensively and defensively for both of them, and that was Arman at 22 years old on short notice in his debut. Furthermore, Islam has never wrestled someone in his MMA career with as good of defense as Damir Ismagulov the way Arman did. The only real difference is Islam's cardio has looked considerably better than Armans who is in my opinion the divisions 2nd best Wrestler in the UFC with Gamrot probably being 3rd.

I think it's more common fighters have certain holes or limits to their game that never get filled or expanded upon. Usually guys still improve a bit more from such an early age even if it's just IQ, fluidity, sharpening technique, composure etc. But yeah, Chandler peaked early and has just stagnated since. I think in part because he didn't need to get better, Eddie Alvarez is to this day the best fighter Chandler has ever beaten and probably the 2nd best fighter he's ever faced (its close between Alvarez and Poirier, Bendo was too out of his prime). And Chandlers style has always relied on his athleticism and him being the hammer.

That's what zi meant about not growing (not filling the gaps).
But yeah, guys that sre naturally good don't usually think they need to fill the gaps.
BJ Penn is a prime example of that.

Back