Charles Martin Vs Anthony Joshua 7 May From London

Man, it's getting a little bit old hearing everyone talk about how slowly these "prospects" should be brought up. Joshua was a Olympic gold medalist, right? And now he's 26 years old. So, what the heeeeeeeeell would he be waiting for? Sugar Ray Leonard fought Benitez at 23, and Duran at 24. Hearns fought Leonard at 23. Tyson was champ at, what, 20?

It was a different time ...lots of career management involved today. The money AJ vs. Whyte earned was surprising.
Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Benitez, Hagler, Arguello, Pryor never competed for such a big amount of green.

It was a different time ...lots of career management involved today. The money AJ vs. Whyte earned was surprising.
Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Benitez, Hagler, Arguello, Pryor never competed for such a big amount of green.

That is exactly what I said. Promoters are hiding their fighters for longer, even though they are ready to step up to bigger challenges, so that they can pocket more money for easier fights.

As fans, we do not have to buy that nonsense about guys in their primes not being "ready" for fights. We can call it what it is, a ploy to maximize income over a maximum amount of time while minimizing risk.

Rightly so, I'd do the same if I was a promising boxer's manager / promoter.

They'd protect Leonard and Duran if they were young today.

Rightly so, I'd do the same if I was a promising boxer's manager / promoter.

They'd protect Leonard and Duran if they were young today.

If they were protected, they may never have become the global superstars that they were, the world would not have the amazing fights to watch, and boxing would not have been one of the most popular worldwide sports.

Right now, hardly anybody gives a shit about boxing because of the lack of intriguing match-ups. Most people I know do not care at all, and could not name 2 current boxers. More quality fights would mean more positive attention, and that would mean more money for everybody.

As a fan, if you care more about Joshua's inflated paycheck than you do about seeing quality fights then I do not relate to you at all.

It always surprises me when sport fans turn into businessmen, as if they are emotionally or financially invested in how many millions of dollars a young, unproven fighter is making.

We need fights from young, prime athletes. I am a fan, not Joshua's manager. It is more important to me to see Joshua fight than pocket huge sums of money off of his celebrity status.

You know how Mayweather became the richest fighter ever? By fighting everybody. You know Pacquiao became one of the richest ever? By fighting everybody. You know how George Foreman became one of the richest fighters ever? By selling grills, after fighting everybody.

Last edited:
If they were protected, they may never have become the global superstars that they were, the world would not have the amazing fights to watch, and boxing would not have been one of the most popular worldwide sports.

Right now, hardly anybody gives a shit about boxing because of the lack of intriguing match-ups. Most people I know do not care at all, and could not name 2 current boxers. More quality fights would mean more positive attention, and that would mean more money for everybody.

As a fan, if you care more about Joshua's inflated paycheck than you do about seeing quality fights then I do not relate to you at all.

It always surprises me when sport fans turn into businessmen, as if they are emotionally or financially invested in how many millions of dollars a young, unproven fighter is making.

We need fights from young, prime athletes. I am a fan, not Joshua's manager. It is more important to me to see Joshua fight than pocket huge sums of money off of his celebrity status.

You know how Mayweather became the richest fighter ever? By fighting everybody. You know Pacquiao became one of the richest ever? By fighting everybody. You know how George Foreman became one of the richest fighters ever? By selling grills, after fighting everybody.
Lol at the last line, even though it is so true.

Lol at the last line, even though it is so true.
lol It's true. Nobody is buying the "Anthony Joshua Grill" until Anthony Joshua beats up David Haye and Tyson Fury.

More quality fights would mean more positive attention, and that would mean more money for everybody.

It always surprises me when sport fans turn into businessmen.

umm yea ...ok.

You know how Mayweather became the richest fighter ever?

By managing his career well and by being a great self-promoter.

How quick people forget ...he's been accused of all sorts of stuff (ducking this and that guy, careful matchmaking) years ago.

By managing his career well and by being a great self-promoter.

...while fighting everybody.

Corrales, Castillo, Gatti, Judah, DLH, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, Cotto, Canelo, Pacquiao.

Mayweather did not get rich selling bum fights. He got rich selling fights with the best fighters in boxing. His entire self-promotion was based on being TBE, which only worked because he was fighting the top guys constantly for a decade.

umm yea ...ok.

Bum response.

More quality fights would mean a more popular sport. Arguing against that would be silly. More popular sports allow their athletes to make more money.

Tell me why that is not true. Have you seen NBA/NFL/MLB/Tennis/soccer players yearly income? If your sport has more fans, it brings more money. The NFL minimum wage is like $400k, and we're talking guys that nobody has ever heard of outside of their own locker room.

Just off the top of my head: Roman Gonzalez, Andre Ward, Kovalev, Tyson Fury ....those guys are not known for ducking. Carl Froch was the same.

Not everbody's like that though, but that was never the case and never will be, so I'm not sure what you're on about. The story is that Ray Robinson ducked the Murderers Row ......Emanuel StewarT also added that Robinson avoided opponents taller than 5'9 if possible.

Last edited:
Just off the top of my head: Roman Gonzalez, Andre Ward, Kovalev, Tyson Fury ....those guys are not known for ducking. Carl Froch was the same.

Not everbody's like that though, but that was never the case and never will be, so I'm not sure why you're on about. The story is that Ray Robinson ducked the Murderers Row ......Emanuel StewarT also added that Robinson avoided opponents taller than 5'9 if possible.

What does any of this have to do with my original point?

That is exactly what I said. Promoters are hiding their fighters for longer, even though they are ready to step up to bigger challenges, so that they can pocket more money for easier fights.

As fans, we do not have to buy that nonsense about guys in their primes not being "ready" for fights. We can call it what it is, a ploy to maximize income over a maximum amount of time while minimizing risk.

I always get flack for saying this, glad you agree with me on this one.

Haye is also old and has been inactive. Joshua should be licking his chops to fight Haye.
Must be why his management said they wont seek anyone near that level anytime soon.

Not sure what your point was. You brought up things I don't understand ...Crawford? He wanted that fight.
It was Pacquiao who wanted to fight Bradley again.

You brought up Leonard, Hearns, etc ...I already addressed that. Would like to add that Hearns vs. Hagler was supposed to happen years earlier.

You brought up olympic medal winners without naming names ....Anthony Joshua? He's fighting for a world title next, not even three years into his pro career. Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman and Lennox Lewis took much longer to fight for a world title.

You basically suggest that things should be rushed. I don't agree with that.

I agree.

He won a Gold medal, has been a pro for 2.5 years, and he's moving into his late 20's. Now is the time to take the real fights.

If it is the number of professional fights that he has had that is making people say he's not ready, that is his own decision to only fight 16 times.

2.5 years into Mike Tyson's career he had 31 fights and had been champ for a year. SRL had 25 fights, and was already champion. Klitschko had 27 fights 2.5 years into his career.

Both of those guys had been fighting a lot longer than Joshua by the time they won the belt. This guys ami career is not much more than his pro career, he's still developing

The fight with whyte showed that's he's not the finished article, and though I think he'll beat Martin, it isnt the right time to be stepping in to the ring with fury, wlad, wilder, povetkin, and even Haye, who must fancy his chances after seeing against
Whyte

It is too good an opportunity to pass up though and losing against Martin or one of the other top fighters is no big deal this early in his career

Remember Foreman retired at the age of 28 ...Frazier was basically done at the age of 30 ...Riddick Bowe retired in his late 20s ...Holyfield would've been well-advised to retire after the Bowe trilogy.

If you intend to have a long career and not end up brain damaged, think Wladimir Klitschko, you need good management.

Not sure what your point was. You brought up things I don't understand ...Crawford? He wanted that fight.[/img]

You seem to be the only person who had trouble understanding my post.

Summary: A lot of fighters are not fighting the fights that should be made. The excuses tend to be based on the fighter's "readiness" to compete. Example, Danny fought a shot Malignaggi to get used to 147, even though he already fought Peterson at 144. Then he fought shot Guerrero, which some people called a 147 step up (lol). Danny does not need to get ready for 147, the guy is a former lineal champion who could not even make 140 anymore and moved up out of necessity. He dominated 140, and does not have start over at 147, that is silly. He is 100% ready for Thurman, and always has been.

Lots of fans buy into this nonsense and repeat it on here. For example, there were lots of people who said Crawford was not ready for Pacquiao, even though Crawford is 28, weighs in the mid 150's on fight night, is on the p4p list, and was recently named fighter of the year. If Crawford is not ready for a huge fight right now, at age 28 with a good amount of professional experience, then he never will be.

I did not say Crawford was ducking Pacquiao, you're the only person who somehow got that message. I said that fans claimed he was not ready, and that he clearly is as ready as he can be for a 36 year old fading Pacquiao.

Which brings us to Joshua. At this point, why would anybody claim that Joshua is not ready to step up? He is destroying all these bums they put him in there with. Usually, people who think he is not ready say it is because he only has 15 fights. If that is the case, why is he not fighting more often? At this point (2.5 years into his career), Klitschko had 27 fights to Joshua's 15. Other guys had even more than that. For a guy who is, apparently, in desperate need of experience, he sure is taking his time to gain fighting experience.

Joshua vs Martin makes perfect sense right now. If he beats Martin, that will prove he is ready to take the next step up to the Haye's of the world. That is how you generate interest in the sport, by making the fights that people want to see

Haye was three years inactive, he has no belt, he has nothing. In what way is he a step up? Gaining respect among Hardcore fans?

Haye needs Joshua.

Haye was three years inactive, he has no belt, he has nothing. In what way is he a step up? Gaining respect among Hardcore fans?

Haye needs Joshua.

In what way is Haye a step up from Charles Martin? If you can not answer that question then I do not know what to tell you.

That is how you generate interest in the sport, by making the fights that people want to see

No, this just leads to a quick burn out of a boxer. This isn't 1945 where a champion fights 3 stumblebums in 6 months.

you gain interest by becoming a star. But this is up to the boxers themselves. If André Ward, Golovkin and Kovalev fight everybody, but can't promote themselves, then they won't gain any notable interest in their fights. Aside from the hardcore fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Víctor Hugo Teco
Back