• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Charles Martin Vs Anthony Joshua 7 May From London

I thought this fight was next week

it is, this coming Saturday

should be interesting, its a step up for Joshua regardless of what people think of Martin

Joshua should take this pretty easily IMO
Agreed. Martin it too slow and stiff for Joshua. He has a awkward southpaw style which could make things interesting, but Joshua is so much more crisp and faster

Joshua didn't impress against Whyte. At least if you take the hype into account.
Now, I've never seen this Martin fella so he might win but what concerned me about Joshua was the cardio. He burned himself out pretty quickly iirc.

Joshua didn't impress against Whyte. At least if you take the hype into account.
Now, I've never seen this Martin fella so he might win but what concerned me about Joshua was the cardio. He burned himself out pretty quickly iirc.
If that was the case his punch count wouldn't have went up as the rounds progressed . You dont throw more punches if you are gassing. Being tired is not the same as gassing .You also dont go from usually k.oing everyone in 1 round to going to 7 and expect a 250 pound HW to not breath heavy.

If that was the case his punch count wouldn't have went up as the rounds progressed . You dont throw more punches if you are gassing. Being tired is not the same as gassing .You also dont go from usually k.oing everyone in 1 round to going to 7 and expect a 250 pound HW to not breath heavy.
You did see the fight?

You did see the fight?
Yes and the punch count shows what i said!Are you saying the punch count is wrong and its an illusion that Joshua threw more punches towards the end?

Last edited:
Yes and the punch count shows what i said!Are you saying the punch count is wrong and its an illusion that Joshua threw more punches towards the end?
I watch the fight and you could see Joshua was getting visibly tired. Like really tired.
I tend to not only go by stats but we are all different. Each to their own.

I watch the fight and you could see Joshua was getting visibly tired. Like really tired.
I tend to not only go by stats but we are all different. Each to their own.

No, you are full of shit.

He come out for the first couple of rounds throwing more power shots than most HW's do in 12 rounds. He got tired after the initial onslaught and that's it.

As the fight progressed he found his pace and was getting stronger as the fight went on, hence the KO. If you're getting better heading into the later rounds and holding your power then you clearly haven't gassed.

No, you are full of shit.

He come out for the first couple of rounds throwing more power shots than most HW's do in 12 rounds. He got tired after the initial onslaught and that's it.

As the fight progressed he found his pace and was getting stronger as the fight went on, hence the KO. If you're getting better heading into the later rounds and holding your power then you clearly haven't gassed.
Not how I remember it but I might have to give it a second look.

You sir are not full of shit. Glad you're keeping it classy.

I'd say he was more stiff than tired, seemed tentative after he walked face first into that compact punch from Whyte. Just my opinion though.

You did see the fight?
He tired for maybe 2 rounds got a second wind and became more active .Breathing heavy is irrelevant if one is throwing punches ,people just dont understand the mechanics of slowly progressing to fighting more rnds so you dont get tied and ultimately gass out . What Joshua did was go from doing a half mile to a full mile over night in boxing terms after it went pass the 3rd round . This should be common sense but i guess its not for some who claim Joshua has bad stamina based on the Whyte fight.

He tired for maybe 2 rounds got a second wind and became more active .Breathing heavy is irrelevant if one is throwing punches ,people just dont understand the mechanics of slowly progressing to fighting more rnds so you dont get tied and ultimately gass out . What Joshua did was go from doing a half mile to a full mile over night in boxing terms after it went pass the 3rd round . This should be common sense but i guess its not for some who claim Joshua has bad stamina based on the Whyte fight.
It could also be your opponent leaving openings and we all know how the brain works. If you get openings and things are going your way you can throw punches in bunches no matter how tired you are.
I have a feeling it was more a mental thing and pure will power than catching a second wind but hey...
Anyhow, gonna try to watch it again. I just have a feeling Joshua will have to pace himself more against better opponents.

It could also be your opponent leaving openings and we all know how the brain works. If you get openings and things are going your way you can throw punches in bunches no matter how tired you are.
I have a feeling it was more a mental thing and pure will power than catching a second wind but hey...
Anyhow, gonna try to watch it again. I just have a feeling Joshua will have to pace himself more against better opponents.
Joshua didnt need will power he was in control the entire fight ,unlike Whyte who did need the will power to keep fighting .He was getting battered 5 out of the 7 rnds. Ive already explained you dont go to 7 rnds and always look fresh when youve never been past 3 and carry 250.

Joshua didnt need will power he was in control the entire fight ,unlike Whyte who did need the will power .He was getting battered 5 out of the 7 rnds.
I agree Joshua was in control most of the fight and make no mistake about it, I like him and want him to succeed. We just saw that fight a little different.

I agree Joshua was in control most of the fight and make no mistake about it, I like him and want him to succeed. We just saw that fight a little different.
If you rewatch the fight you will see Joshua is more relaxed after the 4th round and begins to pick apart Whyte comfortably .Tthe whole struggling thing is pretty comical because the flash punch he didnt see on a blind side in the second round doesnt warrant it when after Whyte became a human Piniata. I wouldn't worry about Joshuas success in the least bit!

Man, it's getting a little bit old hearing everyone talk about how slowly these "prospects" should be brought up. Joshua was a Olympic gold medalist, right? And now he's 26 years old. So, what the heeeeeeeeell would he be waiting for? Sugar Ray Leonard fought Benitez at 23, and Duran at 24. Hearns fought Leonard at 23. Tyson was champ at, what, 20?

We treat grown men with Olympic medals like babies these days. They need to get their asses in there and fight in their mid to late 20's. That is their prime, not their prospect years. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I hear fans talking about slow people should come along.

We still have people on here saying Danny Garcia is being eased into fights. The same Garcia that fought top ranked champions in his early to mid-20s. People say Crawford is not ready for a big fight with Pacquiao...when the hell is this 28 year old going to be ready? Come on, man.

Fans have bought into promoter-talk. We are not promoters, we can ignore their bullshit. They are trying to make money off cake-walk fights, that is all. These guys are all ready.

First off the bat I'll say that I have no issue with AJ taking on Martin at this stage which I happen to think is the perfect time career wise.

But are you seriously comparing 150 amateur fight Sugar Ray to AJ's 43? Or Sugar Rays Olympic Gold to AJ's gift Gold medal? I'm an AJ fan but no way he won that Gold legitimately. AJ had only started boxing at 18 while Leonard got started at 13. If you compare him to Leonard then he is being pushed faster in his relative career. Over a hundred less amateur bouts and 2 years earlier in terms of boxing age when you factor in when they started boxing. Personally I think AJ is being brought on just about perfect.

That's because people are underrating Whyte. Whyte is no joke and could KO most HW's out there.

AJ is being pushed quickly, not the other way around.

Very little amateur experience, started when he was an adult and was still very raw as an Olympic amateur. Wilder was the same and he was moved up VERY slowly, unless you're comparing AJ to Tyson (Who had more amateur experience) then he is being fast tracked into the big fights.

Back