Charles Oliveira becomes an all time top 10 LW at Fightmatrix

Goosemen

Duck Duck Goose
Banned
Reaction score
Congrats to Charles on another exciting performance.

https://www.fightmatrix.com/all-time-mma-rankings/all-time-lightweight/

Rank Fighter Record All-Time Points
RU.png
Khabib Nurmagomedov 29-0-0
US.png
B.J. Penn 16-14-2
US.png
Eddie Alvarez 30-8-0
US.png
Ben Henderson 29-11-0
US.png
Frankie Edgar 24-10-1
US.png
Dustin Poirier 28-7-0
JP.png
Takanori Gomi 36-15-0
BR.png
Rafael dos Anjos 31-13-0
US.png
Tony Ferguson 25-7-0
BR.png
Charles Oliveira 33-8-0

It's between him and Khabib now

BJ did his thing but he should have done more vs Edgar in Abu dabi

Edit: Ferguson, RDA and Bendo is infront of Charles? The fuck kind of ranking is this? Bendo i can get because of title defenses but even that is highly debatable. Man was an alright champion but doesn't have the overall LW resume.

Last edited:
Let's remember- current 155 continues to have deeper / bigger / better talent pool. I dont know how much longer that lasts.

That said - not only has Charles evolved more over the past 4 years or so than any other fighter but he has 10 finishes in past 11 and we call him champ ( I'm not only person or peer willing to overlook a half pound and maybe [maybe] a hotel calibration problem).

I don't know what number I put next to his name but " top 10" is a gimme... and exactly where ,I'd have to dive into multiple metrics.

Again this guy is a finishing machine and look at the who -

#scalegate
#charlesischamp

I think that Top 5 is a bit weird, with Alvarez and Henderson in there. My Top 5 would look something like this:

1. Khabib Nurmagomedov
2. Charles Oliveira
3. BJ Penn
4. Tony Ferguson
5. Dustin Poirier
Alvarez won titles basically everywhere he fought. He is top 5. Henderson was WEC champion and UFC champion with 3 title defenses.

Tony and Dustin don't belong there. What the fuck have they done? Interim titles? lol

Since khabib retired on top he never gave anybody the opportunity to scoop up his rank points by beating him, everybody else had the benefit of beating the previous to fighter to get a big boost to their score. That's why Oliveira isn't ranked all that high and will have a trouble out ranking these former champs unless khabib comes back and loses

Fight Matrix is retarded, looked at it once and never bothered with it again

Since khabib retired on top he never gave anybody the opportunity to scoop up his rank points by beating him, everybody else had the benefit of beating the previous to fighter to get a big boost to their score. That's why Oliveira isn't ranked all that high and will have a trouble out ranking these former champs unless khabib comes back and loses
but it also brings light to the fact that he was nowhere near GOAT status, when you compare his fightmatrix to GSP and Jones.

1. Khabib
2. BJ
3. Charles.
People forget how dominant BJ was while Charles has gotten rocked every title fight. Charles will obviously move to 1 though if he keeps winning.

but it also brings light to the fact that he was nowhere near GOAT status, when you compare his fightmatrix to GSP and Jones.

To me it's obvious he isn't near GOAT, how you can compare him to long reigning dominant champs who cleared out their divisions multiple times is beyond me. He retired way too early but his dominance in his fights and undefeated record are very impressive, combine those with recency bias and you have Khabib goat talk. Pretty off topic though

To me it's obvious he isn't near GOAT, how you can compare him to long reigning dominant champs who cleared out their divisions multiple times is beyond me. He retired way too early but his dominance in his fights and undefeated record are very impressive, combine those with recency bias and you have Khabib goat talk. Pretty off topic though
The score discrepancy between Khabib and Charles, based on who they beat makes no sense to me.

Khabib obviously deserves to be at the top but Charles should be right up there with him at this point.

This list is shit Bj Penn and him should be switched, conor should be where alvarez is and Tony shouldnt be there.

I think that Top 5 is a bit weird, with Alvarez and Henderson in there. My Top 5 would look something like this:

1. Khabib Nurmagomedov
2. Charles Oliveira
3. BJ Penn
4. Tony Ferguson
5. Dustin Poirier

Ferguson and Poirier have less top 10 wins than Alvarez and Henderson and neither were champion while Alvarez and Henderson were both champions. You don't know enough about the history of the LW division to give an opinion on this.

No Melendez in the top 10? That list can fuck right off.
Not set in stone as LW is kind of a bitch to rank all time, but something like:
  1. Khabib
  2. BJ Penn
  3. Benson Henderson
  4. Gilbert Melendez
  5. Eddie Alvarez
  6. Charles Oliveira
  7. RDA
  8. Frankie
  9. Takanori Gomi
  10. Shinya Aoki
Edit: Aw shit, I forgot Poirier. Hmm. Maybe Poirier bumps Aoki from the list?
Edit #2: Actually, Pettis might need to join the list first, above Poirier…

Last edited:
Back