• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cheap handguns?

what about used weapons?

Why don't you check out sig's factory certified program where they recondition guns and resell them. They tend to be a good deal.
check out gunbroker.com

cz 75 po-1

its the 1 i got my eye on, that or a revolver, and i know a revolver is only 6 shots right? so a 9 mag clip isn't a problem.... ya i just want it for fun, and protection, and i'd imagine a 9 will have stopping power "just in case" God forbid i'd ever have to use it, though i hope i'd never have to.

Why don't you check out sig's factory certified program where they recondition guns and resell them. They tend to be a good deal.
check out gunbroker.com

thanks bro, they are legit?

thanks bro, they are legit?

gunbroker.com is like ebay for guns so you do want to check who you are buying from, but you will see a bunch of gun shops post. As for Sigs, they are good guns and their factory certified handguns are top notch from what I've seen. They do a thorough inspection of the handguns and replace any worn parts and make sure everything is withing specs. They usually go for around $450-500 which is a good price for a Sig.

cz 75 b

how cheap?

spirgfield xd
cz-75 series...

under 500

I'll be damned...that's a nice price for a piece like that.

My first pistol was a Taurus PT92, modelled after the Baretta M92...essentially the same except the safety. The Taurus as a simple sear-block while the Baretta has a hammer-drop safety.

Anyhoo: I had narrowed the field down to the Taurus and the CZ-75, and as I recall (this *was* 16 years ago) the deciding factor was simply that since the Baretta was my issue sidearm (I was still a tanker in the Corps) and I knew it inside and out *AND* could hit with it well enough to maintain an "Expert" rating, that was the logical choice.

Best $300 I ever spent. Damn, I miss how much guns used to cost...:icon_chee

TO THE THREAD-STARTER:

CZ-75 is an excellent choice. Baretta makes a number of very good handguns, some directly patterned after other pistols (i.e. Colt, S&W, Baretta) featuring the same or better quality of workmanship at a smaller price. Lots of people slag on Taurus, but mine has performed flawlessly and continues to do so after 16 years of regular use during which time I'd conservatively estimate having put no less than 15,000 rounds through it. This includes everything from plain ol' Remington/Winchester ball ammo to hi-velocity hollowpoints to reloads I bought from private ammo vendors at guns shows. In that time, the only time I had a problem with feed-jams was when I was light on cash and bought a box of aluminum-cased reloads which seemed to have been manufactured by a six-year-old on his Hasbro "My First Benchloader" press he got for Xmas.

Maintenace on this weapon has, after over 16 years, consisted of two things:

1) dipping a toothpick into a bottle of Liquid Paper and dapping a wee drop on rear and front sights after the dots used to line up the shot faded

2) the rear sight is adjustable for windage; somehow, possibly through my own clumsiness, I busted it in half. Fixing that set me back $26 and change. Had it been *anything* else that broke, according to the armorer at the range I was frequenting at the time (and who I trusted as knowledgable) Taurus would have fixed for free per their lifetime warranty.

A *LOOOOOOONG* time ago (about 20 years) my bud bought a Kassnar PJK 9mm, which is a licensed Hungarian copy of the world-famous Browning Hi-Power. The Browning HP was designed in 1922, saw wide use in WWII, and still enjoys wide use in the armed forces of Canada, Belgium, the UK (the Brits swear by it), and Australia to name but a few.

I was never under the impression that Hungary had top-notch small-arms companies...but it's indistinguishable from the Browning Hi-Power (I know, I put one next to the other) and like other handguns of its time has a very simple, straightforward, no-bullshit design. Whatever the case, it's also accurate, reliable, and surprisingly slim and compact for a 9mm with a 13+1 capacity; if you live somewhere that issues legal concealed-carry permits and have a mind to get one, the Kassnar or Hi-Power would be a good choice.

I'll have to get back later...

I'll be damned...that's a nice price for a piece like that.

My first pistol was a Taurus PT92, modelled after the Baretta M92...essentially the same except the safety. The Taurus as a simple sear-block while the Baretta has a hammer-drop safety.

Anyhoo: I had narrowed the field down to the Taurus and the CZ-75, and as I recall (this *was* 16 years ago) the deciding factor was simply that since the Baretta was my issue sidearm (I was still a tanker in the Corps) and I knew it inside and out *AND* could hit with it well enough to maintain an "Expert" rating, that was the logical choice.

Best $300 I ever spent. Damn, I miss how much guns used to cost...:icon_chee

TO THE THREAD-STARTER:

CZ-75 is an excellent choice. Baretta makes a number of very good handguns, some directly patterned after other pistols (i.e. Colt, S&W, Baretta) featuring the same or better quality of workmanship at a smaller price. Lots of people slag on Taurus, but mine has performed flawlessly and continues to do so after 16 years of regular use during which time I'd conservatively estimate having put no less than 15,000 rounds through it. This includes everything from plain ol' Remington/Winchester ball ammo to hi-velocity hollowpoints to reloads I bought from private ammo vendors at guns shows. In that time, the only time I had a problem with feed-jams was when I was light on cash and bought a box of aluminum-cased reloads which seemed to have been manufactured by a six-year-old on his Hasbro "My First Benchloader" press he got for Xmas.

Maintenace on this weapon has, after over 16 years, consisted of two things:

1) dipping a toothpick into a bottle of Liquid Paper and dapping a wee drop on rear and front sights after the dots used to line up the shot faded

2) the rear sight is adjustable for windage; somehow, possibly through my own clumsiness, I busted it in half. Fixing that set me back $26 and change. Had it been *anything* else that broke, according to the armorer at the range I was frequenting at the time (and who I trusted as knowledgable) Taurus would have fixed for free per their lifetime warranty.

A *LOOOOOOONG* time ago (about 20 years) my bud bought a Kassnar PJK 9mm, which is a licensed Hungarian copy of the world-famous Browning Hi-Power. The Browning HP was designed in 1922, saw wide use in WWII, and still enjoys wide use in the armed forces of Canada, Belgium, the UK (the Brits swear by it), and Australia to name but a few.

I was never under the impression that Hungary had top-notch small-arms companies...but it's indistinguishable from the Browning Hi-Power (I know, I put one next to the other) and like other handguns of its time has a very simple, straightforward, no-bullshit design. Whatever the case, it's also accurate, reliable, and surprisingly slim and compact for a 9mm with a 13+1 capacity; if you live somewhere that issues legal concealed-carry permits and have a mind to get one, the Kassnar or Hi-Power would be a good choice.

I'll have to get back later...

thanks for the info, that one sounds like i should look into it as well.... how much do you think the Taurus PT92 would cost now?wold most gun stores carry it?

thanks for the info, that one sounds like i should look into it as well.... how much do you think the Taurus PT92 would cost now?wold most gun stores carry it?

yes the taurus copy is pretty popular, so most gun shop would carry it. You can certainly find it at a gun show.

I suggest going to a gunshow when purchasing your weapon, as you will most certainly be able to find a deal.

yes the taurus copy is pretty popular, so most gun shop would carry it. You can certainly find it at a gun show.

I suggest going to a gunshow when purchasing your weapon, as you will most certainly be able to find a deal.

the taurus website had it for like 520.00 is there weird taxes when buying a gun? what else do i have to buy? (trigger lock ect)

i think the next gun show here is in Sept. i can wait till then... my b-day is then, so i can buy myself a present.... are gun shows packed? are there only dealers there?

the taurus website had it for like 520.00 is there weird taxes when buying a gun? what else do i have to buy? (trigger lock ect)

i think the next gun show here is in Sept. i can wait till then... my b-day is then, so i can buy myself a present.... are gun shows packed? are there only dealers there?

gun shows can get busy..but going on the second day you might get a better price...

no need for a trigger lock..unless you have kids...

gun manufacturere websites are retail prices..you rarely pay retail at a gun show..

gun shows can get busy..but going on the second day you might get a better price...

no need for a trigger lock..unless you have kids...

gun manufacturere websites are retail prices..you rarely pay retail at a gun show..

i thought there were laws about trigger locks, maybe it's a state thing... so gun show prices would be better you think? do you have to pay to get in? if i go on second day, is their a risk of only crap guns being there? should i go with a good idea of what i want? (a list of 5 or so)

*edit* actually there may not be one down here for a while... is there a website that would show them all? couldn't really find to much on google

If you want a cheap handgun that will never break, easy to clean, and will fire every time and never jam, with enough power to shoot through an engine block, then put your money on a Smith and Wesson .357 revolver.

My good man, you've been misinformed.

A .50 Ma-Deuce round won't cut through an engine block, never mind .357; this would be why cops are taught to huddle behind the front of their cruiser where the engine is if they're going to use it for cover in an exchange of fire.

You may perhaps recall that not long after the Iraq War broke out, the increased proliferation of roadblocks and armed checkpoints manned by American and Brit troops was met with a proportional increase in civilian vehicles (often laden with explosives) driven by Iraqis straight at them moving at full-tilt-bozo speed with then intent to ram them. I seem to recall that in more than one case, our guys adopted the tactic of trying to take out the threat vehicle by bringing a withering shit-storm of lead to bear on it with everything they could put into their shoulder, or on a bipod, or the turret cupola of an armored vehicle (read: the aforementioned M2/"Ma Deuce" .50 cal).

In the instances I'm thinking of, after spending all time and lead ventilating the engine compartment, it took a last-ditch fusilade from a 25mm Bushmaster chaingun (standard gear on Army and Marine APCs) to take it out.

Even if it was true, you'd have to be out of your mind to make a weapon like that your "go-to" gun, whether for defending your home or carrying legally. For one thing, You could bore a tunnel clean through some unlucky schmuck and the round would still have enough on it to audition for a Korn video...okay, that's over-the-top, but not by much. :icon_chee Nevertheless, if you ever had to go to trial for shooting someone (and you should consider it a foregone conclusion that you will) then such details could be manipulated against you:

Your Honor, counsel for the prosecution would like to introduce Exhibit "A": the Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolver belonging to Mr. Soulflly which was used against the decdent on...

WHOA!! Is that one of those hand-cannons that shoots through frickin' *engine blocks*?!?!

The very one, sir."

Though I agree wit most of what you said. The ol' "Tre-Five-Sevvin is still a good piece,.

Revolvers usually are from 3inch-12 inch barrell, sometimes shorter (ie. 38 snubnose)

Well, I checked first before saying anything, now that I have...Holy Flippin' Frijoles? a 12" barrel? My buddys' S&W Model 29 .44 had a 6" barrel on it, I thought "that* was impressive...

Well, I checked first before saying anything, now that I have...Holy Flippin' Frijoles? a 12" barrel? My buddys' S&W Model 29 .44 had a 6" barrel on it, I thought "that* was impressive...

ok man, so is the Taurus PT92, the way to go? i know it's all about preference and stuff, but is that what you would recommend?

ok man, so is the Taurus PT92, the way to go? i know it's all about preference and stuff, but is that what you would recommend?

Personally I spent 5 years in the Army, and have grown to detest the M-9.
The M-9 is basically the mil spec equal of the Beretta 92 FS, the Taurus PT92 is the equal of that weapon. I hate the open slide, and have never liked the ergonomics of this weapon.
It boils town to personal preference. It shoots well, and is pretty easy to maintain, I just never found the love for it, as I prefer dovetail model, or single stack handguns. Your best bet is to go into the shop and hold a few of the weapons you are considering. Pick the one that feels the best.

Personally I spent 5 years in the Army, and have grown to detest the M-9.
The M-9 is basically the mil spec equal of the Beretta 92 FS, the Taurus PT92 is the equal of that weapon. I hate the open slide, and have never liked the ergonomics of this weapon.
It boils town to personal preference. It shoots well, and is pretty easy to maintain, I just never found the love for it, as I prefer dovetail model, or single stack handguns. Your best bet is to go into the shop and hold a few of the weapons you are considering. Pick the one that feels the best.

when i hold it, should i go "go ahead make my day Jew?" lol if you don't get the joke sorry, it's borat.....

i think I'm gonna go in with like 5 guns that i'd prefer after talking to you guys and stuff, go shoot around in a range, then go to the store, and see what is best fit... again ideal would be 3-5 hundo, i can go into the 520 and stuff, then tax and crap what ever... but that's my range... any more suggestions are still very welcomed and appreciated.... what ever i get, i'll post a pic.. then you guys can flame me if i made a bad choice

Not to mention, pistol whipping is GREAT with revolvers, as you won't break it, they're generally heavier, and you look badass doing it.

000SNC_Rade_Serbedzija_001.jpg

"Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit them with it!"

Not to come off being an bit of a "Mr. Smarty-Farty Pants" over here, but you kinda answered your own question.

PaiMei.jpg

"The way to go is *YOUR* way. No person can give it to you; you must find it within. Does the duck look to the sparrow to find his way south? Does the....screw it, you get the idea. Now then, I believes it's time....FOR ME TO GIT BACK TO WHUPPIN' YEyou'r a noviceyR LILY-WHITE ASS!!"

I would recommend the Taurus PT-92 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Simple design, accurate as hell (though I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I like to hit the range as regularly as I reasonably can. younggunz seems to hates it. Lots of folks love Glocks, and I do not, and my aversion is in no way influenced by any design flaws or reliabilty issues, I just don't like how it sits in my hand.

Asking around for suggestions is not altogether bad, *EVERYONE* has an opinion, one which is often not backed up by putting it to use; it's risky. Apart from the Glock, younggunz and I
are pretty much in unanimous agreement, and I'm quite certain younggunz knows his business related to the topic.

You should be able ti get a good piece for $500, give or take, though retail prices fluctuate.

Aside from not breaking your checkbook (and having funds to buy ammo), it's just a good idea since unless I miss my guess, you're a bit of a novice at this. I've had friends of mine get a wild hair up the ol' yin-yang to buy their very first gun, develop selective deafness that flared up when people who had a clue tried talking him down and buy it anyway and drop $1,100 or $1,200 and a gun which for him us like giving a kid with a learners' permit a Ferrari Enzo.

See Also: the pawn shop threat. You may find some useful intfo.

I would recommend the Taurus PT-92 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Simple design, accurate as hell (though I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I like to hit the range as regularly as I reasonably can. younggunz seems to hates it. Lots of folks love Glocks, and I do not, and my aversion is in no way influenced by any design flaws or reliabilty issues, I just don't like how it sits in my hand.

Thanks man, iknow it's all about what works best, and fits me best, but you guys know what are good weapons, and what is crap... and i'd trust you guy who have nothing to gain, more then a guy at a gun store. also easily maintained is something i need, and i wont learn that from holding a gun... thanks for the advice... it is appreciated

buying new?

tip one: ergonomics, if it's not comfortable in your hand, put it down and walk away.

tip two: Caliber, many people will tell you that 9mm is for girls, and that you need a 500 mag for self defense. This is bs, it's about practice, speed, and shot placement. A gunfight is lost in hesitation and unfamiliarity. The more practiced you are with drawing the weapon, holding it correctly, and firing the weapon at a controlled pace with accuracy, the more efficient you will be.
Someone can take a .45 from ten feet and shoot 5 feet away from their target simply because they are scared/unfamiliar/unpracticed with cqc technique.

tip three: shop around, check prices online before you buy from a store. If the prices aren't comparable..walk away.

tip four: Buying used... Find GRESTER'S post in this forum about buying a pawn shop gun..
Most used models have very few rounds through them, but there is a list of things to look for.

CZ stands for Ceska Zbrojovka, the american site is here www.cz-usa.com

Get something that you can afford to work with at the range...
The more hours you put on the weapon, the more effective you will be if the time comes to use it. 9mm ammo is cheap, low recoil, and accurate...I wholeheartedly suggest you get this caliber in your first weapon.

read my mind man..

Back