• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cheap handguns?

Someone chimed in about Sig' Pre-Owned guns; I meant to do so and forgot.

Simply stated: Sig takes/buys back guns sold to security agencies, law enforcement, etc that they have a business relationship with. A Sig/Sauer armorer checks it out, maybe tunes a bit as needed, then given a limited warranty and sold back.

My previous range of choice had a few for sale, as do many other ranges. Also check your local gun shops. These weapons tend to be good as new, since they don't get much use outside of riding in some dudes' hollster. The break-in period for the recoil spring and other critical parts is 10,000 rounds, and I read up on at least one test where one periodical (Guns & Ammo or Shooting Times, not sure) where the editors put 10,000 rounds through it in *ONE DAY*, and I don't think they did anything to besides spritz a little Break-Free on it every so often.

In this manner, you can get a $850 to $950 Sig pistol for about $450 to $500, which is a sweetheart deal. Although I don't own one, I've shot a few belonging to friends and family, (P220, P226, P232, "Mosquito" .22) enough to make an informed decision, and I would not hesitate to pick one; I sure as shit would for five bones.

I also forgot to mention the Charles Daly M5:

81419.jpg

I've owned one for about a year; great piece, and has better accuracy than I've come to expect from your standard 1911-pattern .45 Auto, goes for about %600. The added bonus is that it's hi-cap; the factory magazine holds 10 rounds, and I'm still looking for a 14-round mag which supposedly exists but I'll be damned if I can put my hand to one. Para-Ordanance made a similar piece with 14-rounds mags, and I was told they compatible with mine; so far, I found teo that wouldn't stay inside the goddam weapon more than 2 shots, and a third which I thought I'd never be able to get out.

The added bonus is that it's hi-cap; the factory magazine holds 10 rounds, and I'm still looking for a 14-round mag which supposedly exists but I'll be damned if I can put my hand to one. Para-Ordanance made a similar piece with 14-rounds mags, and I was told they compatible with mine; so far, I found teo that wouldn't stay inside the goddam weapon more than 2 shots, and a third which I thought I'd never be able to get out.
You like that?

I hate the way a double stack 45 feels in my hand.

Revolver.
Practice your dry fires and reloads. keep live ammo seperate.
Used smith and wesson, 50-70% of msrp.
.38+p or 357mag for combat, nothing more nothing less, dry fire is your best friend.
id your target and whats behind it.
used smith and wesson $280-500. good .357mag for $350.

autos require learning the manual of arms for that weapon. simplest glock. cheap $450-650. you don't need anything else, keep it simple. click, boom.

Buy and study Ayoobs In the Gravest Extreme, theres tons more but that's all you need.

Don't be an idiot, secure your weapon and don't flash it like some clown. It's for combat. and only combat.

I'll throw a vote in for the Taurus line of compact handguns...not very accurate but with combat sites and being designed to use in less than 12 feet range...they're decent for a budget.

also....good deals can be found from a generally responsible group of owners and people at defensivecarry.com

What is the best gun you can buy with $820?

Hard question to answer. I guess the best gun is the one that feels good in your hand (The size and grips on it). Also what are you looking for the gun to do (Knock down power, high capacity mags). I would go to a range and shoot as many guns as I could before deciding.

I like Glocks but there are many other good guns. I like the fact that there is no safety on them (Yes I am aware of the safety's built into Glocks). I like the fact that they do not jam and you pull them out and fire.

I just realized that I took for granit that you were talking about handguns. If you are talking about other types of guns I like the Bushmaster M4 A3. I also like the Bernelli (Sp) shotgun.

TTT more input for a good starter gun.... and i'll prob have my guard card soon and get cert to carry a gun....

I'd recommend a semi-auto, just for ease of reloading, although chances are if you carry the bad guys will be able to tell and thus will avoid messing with you.

When factoring in price, you'll also probably need some cleaning pads, a cleaning rod, some oil, and some gun cleaner. And it's probably not a bad idea to buy ammo when you first buy it. All of this will likely tack on an additional ~$100. It sounds worse than it is. I just bought a glock 9mm a few months ago, though I still have to take it to the range *shame*.

Back