Social Chicago police profiling or justified?

skysolo

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Various titles of news articles say black boys are more likely to be shot by Chicago police. These titles push the narrative that police unfairly profile black men in Chicago. But if you read further down,

"When you look at the map, 80 percent of narcotics arrests, gun arrests and gang arrests happen in these poor areas," he told the newspaper. "Where you've got dope, you've got guns. It's not about ethnicity — it's about criminal involvement."

"Most of the police shootings took place in South and West Side neighborhoods beset by gang violence and poverty."

Are these titles misleading?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/2...ost-often-by-chicago-police-report-finds.html
https://www.yahoo.com/news/report-black-men-boys-shot-most-chicago-police-170939959.html
http://www.ibtimes.com/chicago-police-shooting-victims-mostly-black-men-boys-report-2408193

Arshell Dennis, a 19-year-old son of a Chicago police officer was shot and killed Sunday morning, hours before he was due to return to college in New York.

Arshell apparently made a video about his experiences with police. He said he was pulled over and profiled. He wasn't killed by police. It is believed Arshell was shot as part of gang initiation or mistaken identity.

Arshell is one of over 50 black people shot and killed in August. He was also one of over 350 black people shot during the month of August. These are just the numbers that I could confirm. There were 75 people killed by gunshot and around 370 shot during the month of August in Chicago.

http://homicides.suntimes.com/2016/...-death-in-front-of-family-home-in-wrightwood/

You've set up a dichotomy that suggests all profiling is unjustified. Perhaps you've gotten ahead of yourself.

You've set up a dichotomy that suggests all profiling is unjustified. Perhaps you've gotten ahead of yourself.
Probably so, I figured I need to offset the "professional journalists".

It's a tough question. Things may be justified and unfair at the same time.
I used to agree with @spin_ until I visited North Lawndale, Englewood, and Austin neighborhoods.

And your username is a big part of the problem in those neighborhoods.

Chicago is murder city these days. There could be 1000 black on black murders in a year, and one cop "unjustly" kills a black man and BLM cares about that one more than the 1000. Hence why they're losing terribly.

Chicago is murder city these days. There could be 1000 black on black murders in a year, and one cop "unjustly" kills a black man and BLM cares about that one more than the 1000. Hence why they're losing terribly.
I don't care about Black lives matter. There are plenty of activists groups in Chicago, we have never heard of, who want to stop the shootings. There is a group of mothers who have lost children to gang and drug violence. Some were featured in a Spike Lee movie.

But which group was featured at the DNC?

Duh. Of course BLM cares only about the black folks killed by the cops.
There's nobody to sue for black on black crimes.
/story

I used to agree with @spin_ until I visited North Lawndale, Englewood, and Austin neighborhoods.

I used to agree with me too.

And then I just kept on not being a retard

just sit in your police car grab a donut and let them kill each other problem solved.

just sit in your police car grab a donut and let them kill each other problem solved.
Lol I hear the sentiment, but there are people there who want nothing more than to go to work, school and just live their lives. If you are ever in Chicago avoid Englewood and Austin like the plague.

Trump should build a wall around those fucking neighborhoods.

Morals are a man-made concept. They don't actually exist. To the universe, killing a baby and saving a baby's life aren't any different.

Whether racial profiling is good or bad just depends on what you value more: efficient and effective (intelligent) policing or individual liberty. Neither is inherently better than the other.

black people are most likely to be shot because black people are most likely to commit crimes. its not rocket surgery

These boys being raised is the problem. The culture does not care a out family structure.
Since birth many kids are taught not to respect the laws, police, or even education.
It's not some crazy mystery.
Some cultures are harder workers and smarter then others.
In 2016 you clean up 1 to 3 violent groups the world is at a realitively peaceful place

black people are most likely to be shot because black people are most likely to commit crimes. its not rocket surgery
That is not necessarily true.

The articles specifically mention Chicago. It is true in Chicago that black men are more likely to be shot by the police and it is also true that the neighborhoods with a higher police presence involve in gang activity and drugs. This is especially true in neighborhoods like Austin and Garfield Park.

This is what I mean by the article titles being misleading.

People "don't snitch" in those neighborhoods because that's how you get yourself hurt.

Back