Child sex offenders’ U.S. passports to note that they are indeed offenders

Son of Jamin

Make MMA Great Again
@Silver
Reaction score
WASHINGTON -- America's registered child sex offenders will now have to use passports identifying them for their past crimes when traveling overseas.

The State Department said Wednesday it would begin revoking passports of registered child sex offenders
and will require them to apply for a new one that carries a "unique identifier" of their status.

Those applying for a passport for the first time will not be issued one without the identifier, which will be a notice printed inside the back cover of the passport book that reads: "The bearer was convicted of a sex offense against a minor, and is a covered sex offender pursuant to (U.S. law)."

The department said in a statement posted to its travel.state.gov website that registered child sex offenders will no longer be issued smaller travel documents known as passport cards because they do not have enough room to fit the notice.

The changes come in response to last year's "International Megan's Law," which aims to curb child exploitation and child sex tourism, but also has been criticized by civil libertarians for being overly broad and targeting only one category of convicted felon.

The law is named for Megan Kanka, a 7-year-old girl murdered by a convicted child sex offender in New Jersey in 1994. The case drew widespread attention and led to the creation of several state sex offender registries. Government agencies notified Congress on Wednesday the passport requirement of the law had taken effect.

The State Department, which issues U.S. passports, said it will start notifying those affected as soon as it receives their names from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement at the Department of Homeland Security. That agency is charged with identifying child sex offenders and is the sole agency that can add or remove someone from the list.

Critics say the passport requirement will limit the ability of those affected to lawfully travel abroad.

The State Department said the language in the passports "will not prevent covered sex offenders from departing the United States, nor will it affect the validity of their passports."

However, it also noted that American citizens, like those of other nations, are subject to the entry laws, rules and requirements of countries they wish to visit. Many countries prohibit or place strict restrictions on the travel of convicted felons.

State Department officials said they weren't aware of any other group of felons who'll be identified as offenders in their passports.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/child-sex-offenders-us-passports-to-note-that-they-are/
Interesting move by the State Department.

I'm not a fan of these crimes follow you for life situations but I'm in favor of this.

I think for serious sex crimes: rape, child molestation, and incest that is appropriate to protect citizens of other countries. Like, there are a lot of sex weirdos who would love to teach Engrish to eager and impressionable Korean girls and boys we should warn them about.

However, the standard should be strict on those crimes.

Some weirdo who flashed some people when he was 27 or something should not have that following him around forever.

I think most child sex offenders should be executed.

Yeah, especially for a second time offender, or after one serious offense like child molestation of a young minor or child rape.

There is nothing to gain by keeping them in society and everything of innocence to lose.

They shouldn't even be allowed to travel outside of their cell.

Send them to the Middle East or Asia

I think most child sex offenders should be executed.

Through a Christian lens, why not just opt to lock them away for life?

I've gone back and forth on this one, and I settled on being against the death penalty, even for disgusting crimes. My thinking is that if I'm not willing to kill the man myself, and I'm not, I shouldn't want others to do it for me, and, I can't help to think that wanting him dead is akin to wanting vengeance, which is not mine to deliver. Having him in a cage where he can't hurt anyone is fine by me, and God can decide when it's time for him to leave this earth.

I'd love to hear your thoughts here.

Good. They should also be raped while receiving the passport. Fuck child molesters.( Yes literally on this one)

Perhaps an issue where many on the right and the left can agree on.

what are they doing letting the fuckers out the country?

I've gone back and forth on this one, and I settled on being against the death penalty, even for disgusting crimes. My thinking is that if I'm not willing to kill the man myself, and I'm not, I shouldn't want others to do it for me, and, I can't help to think that wanting him dead is akin to wanting vengeance, which is not mine to deliver. Having him in a cage where he can't hurt anyone is fine by me, and God can decide when it's time for him to leave this earth.

We gotta have laws to get rid of monsters in our society. It's more humane to put them down than have them locked in a cell for life.

It gives them some time to ponder and get right with God and repent for the evil they've done if they know when their last day on earth is.

We gotta have laws to get rid of monsters in our society. It's more humane to put them down than have them locked in a cell for life.

It gives them some time to ponder and get right with God and repent for the evil they've done if they know when their last day on earth is.

Agreed that we have to remove them from society.

I don't know if it's more humane to kill them, that could be a decision that's left up to them, but even if it is more humane, I don't want to be the one that makes that decision. To me, killing someone is going directly against God's will, otherwise, God would just take them away himself.

I get this is a touchy subject, I don't claim to be right here, I just feel funny about supporting the death penalty, but I understand where you're coming from.

Something interesting about that, in the old times the executioner would go through a Christian/religious ceremony to ask for the forgiveness of God for taking a life, of his own and the state's mercy.

There is a certain nobility to that I feel, something kind of missing from how we see ourselves in the cosmos.

Something interesting about that, in the old times the executioner would go through a Christian/religious ceremony to ask for the forgiveness of God for taking a life, of his own and the state's mercy.

There is a certain nobility to that I feel, something kind of missing from how we see ourselves in the cosmos.

I hadn't heard that, that's interesting. I did hear that some people would tip the executioner for a quicker death, not sure if that's true, but it struck me as truly morbid.

I hadn't heard that, that's interesting. I did hear that some people would tip the executioner for a quicker death, not sure if that's true, but it struck me as truly morbid.

I'm sure it happens in some cultures.

If you want to see a dentist for a root canal here, or have an operation done.

You would be advised to tip and tip well.

Back