China's taste in movies: Actors' attractiveness that important? - Gods of Egypt

Eusung

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
How is it that Gods of Egypt is so popular in China? So much that Chadwick Boseman won most popular American actor in China?

Is it because it has attractive people in it by Hollywood/entertainment business traditional standards?

I read an article about how Chinese audiences want to see beautiful people in movies....and that's one of the reasons they didn't watch The Last Jedi. They saw it as insulting and a slap in the face that such an "ugly American stereotype" was chosen to represent them. They also joked that if Will Smith was Finn, not John Boyega, they would have been more willing to watch.

So is the attractiveness of the cast THAT important in China?

Sure in South Korea and Japan they are very vain and obsessed with looks....but it isn't a deal breaker...not to the point where freakin news articles are written about how "ugly" the actors of a movie are (The LAst Jedi).

I have too much other shit going on to be worried about China’s preferences for movie stars.

I can tell you that they don’t go see Madea movies.

How is it that Gods of Egypt is so popular in China? So much that Chadwick Boseman won most popular American actor in China?

Is it because it has attractive people in it by Hollywood/entertainment business traditional standards?

I read an article about how Chinese audiences want to see beautiful people in movies....and that's one of the reasons they didn't watch The Last Jedi. They saw it as insulting and a slap in the face that such an "ugly American stereotype" was chosen to represent them. They also joked that if Will Smith was Finn, not John Boyega, they would have been more willing to watch.

Sure in South Korea and Japan they are very vain and obsessed with looks....but it isn't a deal breaker...not to the point where freakin news articles are written about how "ugly" the actors of a movie are (The LAst Jedi).

All I know is that the Last Jedi was

tenor.gif

It's my understanding that the average movie going population is younger compare to NA or EU. So they are easier to win over with style rather than substance.

Chadwick Boseman won most popular American actor in China? I always thought the Chinese were incredibly racist, so this is surprising.

I don't think people liking to watch good looking people do stylish things is unique to China. The Marvel films are big over here and there for similar reasons.

It's interesting that Boseman is popular over there though. He's a handsome dude but I would not have thought he fit with the Chinese beauty standard (being diplomatic)

The Last Jedi is an atrocity, shitty movie, that's why people didn't watch it as much as they were expected. It has nothing to do with how fucking ugly Kylo Ren was.

I watched maybe the first ten minutes. Was happy to see Bryan Brown, then sad I was watching him in Gods of Egypt. Once they started turning into CGI god monsters in the middle of a fight in the first ten minutes, I had to bail.

It was like watching the "Must Shit TV" episode of South Park where it cuts to a commercial break and suddenly everyone's fighting a dragon and nobody knows what's going on.

I watched a vid on Chinese people talking about how they choose to see movies:

Essentially they said this:

"We wanna see popcorn stuff, not heavy stuff"

"We love special effects. But now...after awhile, amazing special effects has just become normal...so we started paying attention to story...and we realized that the story in these movies (The Last Jedi, Transformers 5) were really awful"

So basically the Marvel movies hit the spot for them: not too heavy, lighthearted for the most part with a few exceptions (The Winter Soldier, Infinity War). Tons of action and good special effects but not overbearing special effects.

Seems like some sort of PR/foreign relations stunt to me.

The "Chinese American Film Festival" (held in the US) that gave Boseman the award sounds very different from the Chinese Film Festival.

I can imagine a kuonmintang board of political officials having a meeting to discuss which actor to award in order to groom the american market.
"What about this Shaduvik Bosumu? From this picture on my Huawei it seems he's black, americans love black people. And he was recently in a movie that had a few scenes set in Korea, which is close to China."

They love boyish good looks and mythical CGI creatures. That’s why some of the most random movies do amazing over there but not so well in North America.

I'm sure that might be part of it, but you know what else they fuckin' love? Big dumb monster movies. Why do you think "Venom" is doing so good over there, but "The Dark Knight" flopped? One word, monster.

Shit, I think "Transformers" kills over there as well.

They like the big CGI spectacle shit, and more so if it leans to the sci-fi fantasy stuff.

I watched maybe the first ten minutes. Was happy to see Bryan Brown, then sad I was watching him in Gods of Egypt. Once they started turning into CGI god monsters in the middle of a fight in the first ten minutes, I had to bail.

It was like watching the "Must Shit TV" episode of South Park where it cuts to a commercial break and suddenly everyone's fighting a dragon and nobody knows what's going on.
I had the same reaction, shit story, shit CGI, the only reason I didnt leave was I said I ahd nothing to do it was late and didnt want to waste the money I spent so I just enjoyed the cold AC and watched that boring shit show. How anyone green lit a movie like that with that big a budget baffles me.

as already mentioned they seem to love CGI , the more the better.
GoE is a guilty pleasure . Elodie Young was perfect Eye Candy as Hathor

I watched Matt Damon's Great Wall and it was garbage. The evil monsters looked like shit and looked like the lizards from Kong Skull Island. The colorful armor looked nice though.

Seems like some sort of PR/foreign relations stunt to me.

The "Chinese American Film Festival" (held in the US) that gave Boseman the award sounds very different from the Chinese Film Festival.

I can imagine a kuonmintang board of political officials having a meeting to discuss which actor to award in order to groom the american market.
"What about this Shaduvik Bosumu? From this picture on my Huawei it seems he's black, americans love black people. And he was recently in a movie that had a few scenes set in Korea, which is close to China."

Kuomintang are Taiwanese, not Chinese, LOL.

Back