Classic NCAA/College Wrestling Matches?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have decided to watch some college wrestling and I am beginning to understand the rules a bit better.

Can college wrestling fans advise me on classic matches, or college wrestlers to watch.

I have watched:

and:

Will watch some Snyder and Pico soon.

Help a wrestling bro out

This one's always been a personal favorite of mine.

I've also been enjoying this channel, which collects a lot of good matches and highlights (If there was a channel wholly dedicated to collecting matches with pins/falls, i'd love them forever).

Probably somewhat more esoteric that what you were asking, but three wrestlers i've been studying particularly these days to see how they do what they do, are Scott Moore, Taylor Walsh, and Zain Retherford; three of only four guys who have won the Schalles Award for more than one year (the other being Ben Askren).

(just pinnin someone with a kneebah nbd)

(starts at 12:35)

Talking about a guy who tech-falled his opponent in the NCAA finals here (and pinned the guy before that in the semis); that's just crazy.

Last edited:
pico hasnt wrestled any college matches, and only 2 years of high school i believe

zain retherford is good to watch for current wrestlers, cant go wrong with kyle dake from a few years ago either

In terms of recent guys that involve less wonkish interest, along with Kyle Dake, i also like Bo Nickal, Cory Clark, Isaiah Martinez, and Gabe Dean.

Last edited:
I think Retherford is one dirty wrestler!!! Still like to watch him though.

This one's always been a personal favorite of mine.

I remember watching that Metcalf/Palmer match live. So exciting. To give some context, Metcalf at this point was a senior, and had only ever lost to a single person (Darrion Caldwell twice) in his entire high school and college career. Of course, Metcalf would avenge the loss against Palmer in the NCAA finals just a few weeks later.

And here is the Metcalf/Caldwell match (2009 NCAA Finals). Again for some context, this was a year after Metcalf won the Dan Hodge Trophy for being the best college wrestler in the country. Caldwell was an unbelievably talented wrestler.

Go for a few classics
Mark Schultz vs Ed Banach

Kolat vs Ironside

Is there any reason why you asked for NCAA specifically? Are you into freestyle?

In terms of recent guys that involve less wonkish interest, along with Kyle Dake, i also like Bo Nickal, Cory Clark, Isaiah Martinez, and Gabe Dean.
What do you think about the dude who beat Imar last year> Did he come out of nowhere? I don't follow college as much as international.

Is there any reason why you asked for NCAA specifically? Are you into freestyle?
I am a huge freestyle fan - it is really all I watch. I want to watch some folkstyle, seeing how the majority of the better mma wrestlers are NCAA champions, or at least All-Americans.

Thanks guys! I have enjoyed these matches, in particular; Askren vs Pendleton, Zain Retherford, Metcalf vs Oliver & Caldwell and Snyder vs Gwiazdowski.

I am a huge freestyle fan - it is really all I watch. I want to watch some folkstyle, seeing how the majority of the better mma wrestlers are NCAA champions, or at least All-Americans.
Of course, I should have known that judging by your avatar and threads we have both been on. The Schultz vs Banach match I posted was really fun.

Glad someone posted these or I was going to have to.
Mark Schultz was such a beast. Watching him wrestle you really feel like he could have won 3 Olympic golds and a ton of world medals. He was that good.

Back