Classic NCAA/College Wrestling Matches?

Mark Schultz was such a beast. Watching him wrestle you really feel like he could have won 3 Olympic golds and a ton of world medals. He was that good.

He's an interesting guy. Reading some of his interviews you get the sense that for all his talent he was somewhat ambivalent about wrestling for most of his career.

Couple more classics:

Mixer FTW

Simaz/Kilgore 2. These guys had another crazy match that year in the finals of the scuffle I think. Crazy pace, awesome hand fighting, a takedown and 3 reversals just in the first period. Simaz is one of my all time favorites.

Abas/McIlravy . Classic Iowa come back, similar to the Kolat/Ironside match. Stay in the match and watch the other guy break from the pace and pressure.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5155353-jordan-leen-l-burroughs-nebraska-10-8

Before he was King. You can see the start of his reattack double against a very underrated Leen, This one is also fun just to listen to the Cornell coaches bitching about the refs.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5121982-157lbs-jordan-leen-cornell-vs-michael-chandler-missouri-

Jordan Leen/Michael Chandler. Crazy scramble.

Love seeing the Snyder/Gwiz match here. That was an instant all time classic in my opinion.

Folk is the best style. Free annoys me when it rewards 4 points for big throws with zero control afterwards.

What do you think about the dude who beat Imar last year> Did he come out of nowhere? I don't follow college as much as international.

Vincezo Joseph was a redshirt Freshman.

I wouldn't say he came out of nowhere. He wasn't as highly touted as recruit as guys like Martinez, Massa, Hall, A. Valencia etc.

But during his Redshirt he had a very good freestyle season which put people on notice. Going into the season I thought he could finish as high 3. I didn't think he could beat Martinez or Massa. I was more hyped on him than most people though so I think the consensus was that he was around top 5-8 in the country.

During the year he wrestled around there. Lost to Mass and Martinez during the season and had an incredible tournament in March.

He's an interesting guy. Reading some of his interviews you get the sense that for all his talent he was somewhat ambivalent about wrestling for most of his career.
I saw an interview where he said almost all of the medals he has ever won were gold. I think he took 2nd at a 1-2 world cup tourneys and that's it, every other tournament he entered was either gold (the vast majority) or outside the top 3 (rarely). This seems to jive with stuff I have read about Mark, that he was an extremely explosive, dominant wrestler but if he couldn't physically dominate and run through everyone, he lost interest. He was an emotionally driven wrestler and that meant he either destroyed you or made a mistake and paid for it. Dave on the other hand was consistent, a technician, high percentage moves, etc.

I saw an interview where he said almost all of the medals he has ever won were gold. I think he took 2nd at a 1-2 world cup tourneys and that's it, every other tournament he entered was either gold (the vast majority) or outside the top 3 (rarely). This seems to jive with stuff I have read about Mark, that he was an extremely explosive, dominant wrestler but if he couldn't physically dominate and run through everyone, he lost interest. He was an emotionally driven wrestler and that meant he either destroyed you or made a mistake and paid for it. Dave on the other hand was consistent, a technician, high percentage moves, etc.

I think Dave was a better wrestler but just didn't have the physical gifts Mark had. Which is not a knock on mark, everyone molds their game to their unique physical and mental makeup, but he could definitely make things work that many people could not.

Folk is the best style. Free annoys me when it rewards 4 points for big throws with zero control afterwards.
Best for mma and most sub grappling styles, but if you get taken down onto your back, it puts you in possible danger of getting pinned; I have no problem with it.

I believe this to be true but I also think that if all you have is a freestyle background then that will translate well to and prepare you for MMA and grappling as well. The specific type of strength and athleticism you gain from years and years of training to turn a guy on the mat who has to do nothing but resist is going to be quite an asset when you gear it towards MMA/grappling. Its a different form of control than riding but control nonetheless. Ive even heard the argument that all the time a folkstyler spends riding and controlling their opponent is also a bad thing for MMA/grappling bc you have to unlearn so many bad habits. You get to put yourself in positions that would be quite dangerous if submissions were allowed. I think they both have benefits and drawbacks.

Saw this randomly posted in the Opie and Anthony subreddit and figured it was worth a share.

Brock really was a beast. The guy he's wrestling was a 2 time AA at UPenn. This might be the NCAA semifinals. I know Lesnar pinned him in the semis in 2000 but not sure if This is that match.

Vincezo Joseph was a redshirt Freshman.

I wouldn't say he came out of nowhere. He wasn't as highly touted as recruit as guys like Martinez, Massa, Hall, A. Valencia etc.

But during his Redshirt he had a very good freestyle season which put people on notice. Going into the season I thought he could finish as high 3. I didn't think he could beat Martinez or Massa. I was more hyped on him than most people though so I think the consensus was that he was around top 5-8 in the country.

During the year he wrestled around there. Lost to Mass and Martinez during the season and had an incredible tournament in March.

Eh, not entirely true. He and IMar were both the #5 overall recruits in their HS class 2 years apart and he only wrestled Massa once beating him at NCAAs. His losses were to Subjeck, Isaac, and IMar x2. Aside from that, you're right. Most people had 2 tiers for the weight coming into the season. Tier 1 was IMar, IJo, and Massa. Tier 2 was Lewis, Cenzo, Valencia, et al.

Sources:
http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top200_2013.html
http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top150_2015.html

I don't expect him to repeat as he wrestled out of his mind at the NCAAs but a top 3 finish should be reasonable.

Eh, not entirely true. He and IMar were both the #5 overall recruits in their HS class 2 years apart and he only wrestled Massa once beating him at NCAAs. His losses were to Subjeck, Isaac, and IMar x2. Aside from that, you're right. Most people had 2 tiers for the weight coming into the season. Tier 1 was IMar, IJo, and Massa. Tier 2 was Lewis, Cenzo, Valencia, et al.

Sources:
http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top200_2013.html
http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top150_2015.html

I don't expect him to repeat as he wrestled out of his mind at the NCAAs but a top 3 finish should be reasonable.

Well I definitely didn't have IMart winning as a Freshman either lol

Here is another really good one. For context, Logan Steiber was a 2x NCAA champ at this point in his 3rd season and Zain was a true freshman. Logan was a FS world champ at 61kg last year and Zain was the 65kg rep this year.

Between the 2, they will have 7 NCAA championships in 8 tries and the only year one didn't win was because the other beat him in the semis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back