Closest you ever came to dying

Also, great thread TS. Only read the first 2 pages so far, and the responses are great.

I decided to die in May 2006. I had researched things such as potassium cyanide prior, but the decision was made on a single night and I had to work with what was available to me at the time.

I remember watching late night TV and seeing an an anti speeding/drink driving ad that was common at the time. It showed a car hitting a tree at high speed, with a seatbeltless occupant being violently effected on impacted. I watched this ad multiple times and saw my solution time and time again.

I took the family car that night when the household was asleep. I visited two friends houses and left hand written notes. I stopped by a music venue I had visited. I continued away from home on the highway and tested the inbuilt speed limiter I had read about. Sure enough, there was an automatic fuel cutout at 180kmh (approx 110mph). I was later asked why I didn't crash then and there. I answered that it wasn't right.

I eventually reached a park. I exited the car and found an enormous gumtree. There were no barriers separating it from the road. I walked around it multiple times and pressed up against it with body and hand. It was strong. It was my death.

I returned to the car and had a practice run. I was satisfied to see that I could reach a suitable speed and had a clear run at this particular tree.

After my practice run, I returned to my starting position. I left as big of a runup as space allowed. I had been wearing my seatbelt at all times prior to this, I removed it to maximize my chances. I watched the clock count and when it hit 4am, it was time.

I held the brake, planted the throttle and let the revs rise. When I heard wheelspin, I released the brake and guided the car down the street. I let speed build, keeping my right foot planted. I then veered gently to the left and lined the car up with the tree I bad selected. The car left the road and I felt it bounce and sway under me as we moved from grippy tarmac to loose dirt and grass. I had been watching the speedo climb, whilst also staring down my tree. All I saw was speed, tree. Speed, tree. The last number I saw was 90Km/h (approx 55mph). I held the wheel tight and let out my best battle cry as the car bounced across the grass and I kept the steering square on target.

Prior to entering tbe car for the last time, I had asked myself what I would do if it didn't work. Hang myself, I decided, but gave no more thought than that, because in my mind there was no real chance of survival.

I opened my eyes. My immediate reaction: "oh?". A fraction of a second later I was overwhelmed by the extreme pain.

I realized I was in the passenger footwell. My body had been thrown violently on impact. I awoke with my head where the passengers feet would go. There was glass in my forehead and back.

I reached up and pulled the door handle. I fell out of the car. My body had been pressed up against the inside of the car door. I was pulled myself away from the car.

I noticed people. I recognized forms. I identified words. Someone said it looked like the ads on TV. I smiled inside. Another person called me a fucking idiot. I took offence and wanted to punch on, but I was a pathetic, lincapacitated, writhing human catfish. I was out of water. Blind. Immobile. Irrelevant. Helpless.

I recognized the paramedics. I never saw them, I only saw sleeves and hands. One of them asked me something about the crash. I got offended at the suggestion that I had made a mistake or lost control. I proudly exclaimed that I did it on purpose.

I was in a hospital. I heard voices. They spoke English. I couldn't understand them. They came from faces. I couldn't see them. They had hands. I couldn't see past the wrist. Each time a person spoke, I knew they spoke English, but the words were indecipherable.

I recognized some hands. They belonged to my father. I couldn't see him, but I knew he was there. They cleaned the wound on my leg. I watched them spray it with soap and water. My flesh flapped around under the pressure like a palm leave in a storm. I watched and felt nothing. I couldn't see my father beyond his hands. He held mine tight. His knuckles white. He was crying.

I awoke in a bed. I sat up. There was instant pain. There were fragments if glass embedded in my back. They removed the glass and cleaned my.

I awoke again. They spoke to me. They didn't understand. Of course I did it on purpose, how the fuck else could someone hit a tree square on a perfectly straight road?

I realized I was somewhere else. I came to understand, I was in the mental health ward of the local hospital. I laughed at the thought of being locked up with those hopeless crazies.

I was released later. I don't know when. It may have been 3 weeks. It may have been 3 months. The days were indistinguishable. There were no clocks or calendars. There was no sense of time. I have no idea of how long I was there for.

It never goes away. You just learn to understand it. But it's always there.

084.png

f2133a2acd9ba7e4d59d8caad8911fad--teacher-memes-the-walking-dead.jpg

Drake-Confused-Sorrounding-Meme-2.jpg

And last but not least....

copied_tz_thm_16.9_1280x720.jpg

15yo, i was on a scooter as passenger, a car ignoring red light full crashed on our side at a cross
i've seen it last moment with the corner of my eye and lifted my leg/foot (car will have crashed just there)

I've been sent fly for few meters and i have no idea about the line of the fly, but i landed (by unconscious instict or by pure luck) on my hands and knees

I quickly raised the head just to see another car (coming from same road but opposite direction) that was in full breaks trying to stop, i managed to push myself backward on ass and rolled on the right side (car was trying to deviate on my left), wich has been kind useless as the car managed to stop itself 1-1,5 meter from me anyway

end result of all this shit, i got little graze on palms and knees, and my jeans ripped at knees

Never known what happened to the dude, i remember peoples were screaming at him and one man was holding him against a wall, likely to prevent him from escape from cops

Everybody was asking us if we was alright, my friend got broken left forearm, an huge pain on the tight and hip on same side.
We ran away as fast he could because the scooter was'nt our, we took the close subway for some stops, then we gone in a medical center/hospital because he was sure to have broken arm and leg (leg end up only a big dark bruise but no bones involved)
We both got very lucky, but me in particular

Another time i was hiking on alps (i think i was 18yo or 19)
Kinda crazy because how irrelevant the dynamic has been, peoples with me barely noticed it
Shoes probably were not the best for it, btw on a narrow path my foot just slided over a rock that had little almost sand-like stones
I lost balance and was falling on my left but i grabbed a bush on my right with the hand

Kinda irrelevant event, except if i fallen on the left was likely sure death: a kinda big (almost 10 meters i guess) vertical fall over rocks and then a long steep downhill over more rocks, to end up much lower over rocks

I decided to die in May 2006. I had researched things such as potassium cyanide prior, but the decision was made on a single night and I had to work with what was available to me at the time.

I remember watching late night TV and seeing an an anti speeding/drink driving ad that was common at the time. It showed a car hitting a tree at high speed, with a seatbeltless occupant being violently effected on impacted. I watched this ad multiple times and saw my solution time and time again.

I took the family car that night when the household was asleep. I visited two friends houses and left hand written notes. I stopped by a music venue I had visited. I continued away from home on the highway and tested the inbuilt speed limiter I had read about. Sure enough, there was an automatic fuel cutout at 180kmh (approx 110mph). I was later asked why I didn't crash then and there. I answered that it wasn't right.

I eventually reached a park. I exited the car and found an enormous gumtree. There were no barriers separating it from the road. I walked around it multiple times and pressed up against it with body and hand. It was strong. It was my death.

I returned to the car and had a practice run. I was satisfied to see that I could reach a suitable speed and had a clear run at this particular tree.

After my practice run, I returned to my starting position. I left as big of a runup as space allowed. I had been wearing my seatbelt at all times prior to this, I removed it to maximize my chances. I watched the clock count and when it hit 4am, it was time.

I held the brake, planted the throttle and let the revs rise. When I heard wheelspin, I released the brake and guided the car down the street. I let speed build, keeping my right foot planted. I then veered gently to the left and lined the car up with the tree I bad selected. The car left the road and I felt it bounce and sway under me as we moved from grippy tarmac to loose dirt and grass. I had been watching the speedo climb, whilst also staring down my tree. All I saw was speed, tree. Speed, tree. The last number I saw was 90Km/h (approx 55mph). I held the wheel tight and let out my best battle cry as the car bounced across the grass and I kept the steering square on target.

Prior to entering tbe car for the last time, I had asked myself what I would do if it didn't work. Hang myself, I decided, but gave no more thought than that, because in my mind there was no real chance of survival.

I opened my eyes. My immediate reaction: "oh?". A fraction of a second later I was overwhelmed by the extreme pain.

I realized I was in the passenger footwell. My body had been thrown violently on impact. I awoke with my head where the passengers feet would go. There was glass in my forehead and back.

I reached up and pulled the door handle. I fell out of the car. My body had been pressed up against the inside of the car door. I was pulled myself away from the car.

I noticed people. I recognized forms. I identified words. Someone said it looked like the ads on TV. I smiled inside. Another person called me a fucking idiot. I took offence and wanted to punch on, but I was a pathetic, lincapacitated, writhing human catfish. I was out of water. Blind. Immobile. Irrelevant. Helpless.

I recognized the paramedics. I never saw them, I only saw sleeves and hands. One of them asked me something about the crash. I got offended at the suggestion that I had made a mistake or lost control. I proudly exclaimed that I did it on purpose.

I was in a hospital. I heard voices. They spoke English. I couldn't understand them. They came from faces. I couldn't see them. They had hands. I couldn't see past the wrist. Each time a person spoke, I knew they spoke English, but the words were indecipherable.

I recognized some hands. They belonged to my father. I couldn't see him, but I knew he was there. They cleaned the wound on my leg. I watched them spray it with soap and water. My flesh flapped around under the pressure like a palm leave in a storm. I watched and felt nothing. I couldn't see my father beyond his hands. He held mine tight. His knuckles white. He was crying.

I awoke in a bed. I sat up. There was instant pain. There were fragments if glass embedded in my back. They removed the glass and cleaned my.

I awoke again. They spoke to me. They didn't understand. Of course I did it on purpose, how the fuck else could someone hit a tree square on a perfectly straight road?

I realized I was somewhere else. I came to understand, I was in the mental health ward of the local hospital. I laughed at the thought of being locked up with those hopeless crazies.

I was released later. I don't know when. It may have been 3 weeks. It may have been 3 months. The days were indistinguishable. There were no clocks or calendars. There was no sense of time. I have no idea of how long I was there for.

It never goes away. You just learn to understand it. But it's always there.
<mma4>

Kinda crazy because how irrelevant the dynamic has been, peoples with me barely noticed it
Shoes probably were not the best for it, btw on a narrow path my foot just slided over a rock that had little almost sand-like stones
I lost balance and was falling on my left but i grabbed a bush on my right with the hand

Kinda irrelevant event, except if i fallen on the left was likely sure death: a kinda big (almost 10 meters i guess) vertical fall over rocks and then a long steep downhill over more rocks, to end up much lower over rocks

This is how my cliff fall happened. I was 12 and we were about 60 ft up on cliff, used for jumping, that was above a lake. I thought I was walking along a narrow rock ledge but my foot was on sand and I fell down the side. I would have hit a bunch of rocks had I not hit some bushes on the way down. These bushes were growing out of the rock face. Ended up tumbling about 40feet. Cracked rib and completely covered in bruises and scratches. It was a miracle I wasn't dead.

I was totally wasted in a bus with 2 friends. I puked or something and the busdriver threw me out in the middle of a highway. My memory starts working at this point, as if my drunken brain realized im in serious danger and i have to focus. Luckily a taxi drove past and i took it home

My appendix burst because I was to stubborn to go the ER sooner. Worst pain I have ever felt. Almost passed out after but I wouldnt let myself lol. Twas afraid I wouldnt wake up lol.

Worked as a staffer for Hillary Clinton...

Either a car crash with my drunk mother at age 10ish or some incident in Afghanistan. 2011 around Ramadan stands out.

Was hiking up a mountain in Yellowstone with some buddies super hungover, and I was holding them back being very sluggish. Told them to go ahead and ended up getting stuck in a rain/hail/lightning storm near the top with minimal tree cover. Thought for sure I was going to get struck by lightning.

Another time a friends neighbor called the cops because I'd pissed in her yard when very drunk. We decided to walk to the lake and not wait around for them to show up. When they came they started flashing their lights all over the park near the lake, so drunk me started sprinting towards the beach. The park and beach are separated by a line of boulders I didn't notice and I ran full sprint right into them. My friend said I literally bounced across the rocks and ended up face first in the sand. He said he thought I broke my neck for sure. Came out of it with a bloody face and mouth full of sand

One time me, my friend Jonny, his new girlfriend at the time Jenna (I think they dated for like 6 months or something) and another close friend of ours (not sure which one but not important) were driving to a swimming hole we frequented in the summer called The High Falls.

Got a couple stories related to this, actually.

The first is this, Jenna was the one driving her car with us retards who were half drunk and stoned most the time and she had taken to our awful habits. With an open beer bottle between her thighs she was driving down the highway while we were all engrossed in talking/singing/listening to music and just having fun while a huge transport truck was coming our way on the opposite side of the road. Jenna was distracted and didn't notice that the transport was literally driving like 2 feet OVER THE FUCKING LINE on OUR side of the road, heading straight for us in what would have been a devastating high-speed-near-head-on-collision instantly if me and Jonny had not been screaming "JENNA!!!! A FUCKING TRANSPORT!" and Jon took the wheel and did a sharp turn to the right just barely missing the fucking thing.

That shit was fucking scary. I guess the transport truck driver was having a few himself.

Anyways The High Falls is a river that you can swim at different locations on the river, there are safe, calm waters, little pools here and there and then there are the High Falls itself. A big cliff, looks sort of like a giant oval shaped boulder that got cracked like an egg down the middle and surrounded by forest. The waterfall is about 6 feet long (the actual water itself) and it goes straight down into the "crack" which is a big chasm that gets dark at the bottom from being so out of the sunlit sky, you basically pick a spot on either side of the top and you "step" over the edge and aim right for where the waterfall lands in the chasm. In this sport and around this spot, the water goes down verrry deep so when you fall into you never touch the ground or the edges.

BUT

People HAVE died here, by misstepping and landing a little too close to the edges of the cliffs or too far down the river where the bottom becomes more shallow. Also sometimes in the winter rocks freeze and get moved around by time summer comes, and where there was no boulders before suddenly there are boulders in the water and people have landed on those and died. Pretty scary shit, not all of my friends that have gone there have actually taken the "step". I was the first because I am the dumbest smart guy you'll ever meet. The fall itself is about 40-50 feet? I could be way of but point is its HIGH.

ANYWAYS -

I had jumped into this cliff/chasm many times as it's freaky but fun as hell. One time however I drank too much whiskey and BLACKED OUT. My friends tell me I was acting like an idiot (black out drunk I am a fucking moron) doing things like calling everybody F4Gg0ts and being aggressive and hitting on my friend's girlfriend right in front of my own girlfriend. Apparently with like 15 ozs or so lift in my whiskey bottle I just randomly smashed it all over the flat rock surface where everybody was sitting and got glass everywhere. AND, of course, I was jumping off the fucking cliff several times.

I do not remember ANY of this. And the fact that I was in the state that I was in, and death could be just inchs away in a misstep, makes me believe that I am lucky to be alive. I easily could have died that day without even relaizing what I was doing.

Burst appendix when I was 9.

Almost got hit by a car while getting off of the school bus. The bus driver waved me across the street and right when I got to the middle of the road a green Saturn flew past and missed me by inches. That was the first of several times I almost got hit by a green Saturn.

Crashed a four-wheeler when I was 14. I was riding it in a stone quarry and was going to try to ramp a little hill. Went to do the run up, going about 60 mph, missed the curve leading up to the hill, and slammed into a very large gravel pile. I got launched about thirty to forty feet and the four-wheeler came flipping end over end behind me and ended up landing on my back. I had a concussion, a sprained ankle, some road rash with some gravel embedded in my arm, and various other cuts and bruises but somehow no major injuries.

As mentioned in another thread I tried to shoot myself once, it didn't work out.

Last edited:
Almost got mollywhopped by a metal guardrail that was under tension at a car wreck. Once the saw cut through and released the tension, it sprang back towards where I was standing not 5 seconds earlier. Lucky my chief had told me to move over. Left a huge divot in the asphalt.

15yo, i was on a scooter as passenger, a car ignoring red light full crashed on our side at a cross
i've seen it last moment with the corner of my eye and lifted my leg/foot (car will have crashed just there)

I've been sent fly for few meters and i have no idea about the line of the fly, but i landed (by unconscious instict or by pure luck) on my hands and knees

I quickly raised the head just to see another car (coming from same road but opposite direction) that was in full breaks trying to stop, i managed to push myself backward on ass and rolled on the right side (car was trying to deviate on my left), wich has been kind useless as the car managed to stop itself 1-1,5 meter from me anyway

end result of all this shit, i got little graze on palms and knees, and my jeans ripped at knees

Never known what happened to the dude, i remember peoples were screaming at him and one man was holding him against a wall, likely to prevent him from escape from cops

Everybody was asking us if we was alright, my friend got broken left forearm, an huge pain on the tight and hip on same side.
We ran away as fast he could because the scooter was'nt our, we took the close subway for some stops, then we gone in a medical center/hospital because he was sure to have broken arm and leg (leg end up only a big dark bruise but no bones involved)
We both got very lucky, but me in particular

Another time i was hiking on alps (i think i was 18yo or 19)

Was this in Italy? Because I’ve only been there once and was shocked at how crazy people drive down one lane, winding roads. They’re insane.

As a baby i had some weird red blood cell disease that doctors had only recently worked out t he cure for. My mum reckons if i was born 5 years earlier i would have died.

Had lightning hit a powerpole i was standing next to and explodes the light on it or something, shattered glass hit me. Was like a concussive blast, i had no idea what happened and stumbled into the house.

Cut through the hotwater electrical cable with a circular saw and electrocuted myself once. Was wearing shorts and got a burn mark on my leg where it was pressed up against the metal ladder.

A few other dumb things as a teenager but those ones stick out the most.

Was this in Italy? Because I’ve only been there once and was shocked at how crazy people drive down one lane, winding roads. They’re insane.

Yes :D
We are a bit crazy driving indeed, but go throught a red light cross like that is'nt normal even for our standards... dude was probably drunk or drugged

Yes :D
We are a bit crazy driving indeed, but go throught a red light cross like that is'nt normal even for our standards... dude was probably drunk or drugged

I imagine it’s the same all over Europe since most of the roads and cities were built before cars were invented.

Back