Coach Creighton Double Leg

fishNjits

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

Is this legit? Seems a little bit more adaptable for an older guy like me with no wrestling experience.

Yes, this is similar to how Jordan Burroughs attacks the double leg iirc.

This is basically the best way of setting up a double from range. It requires a decent amount of speed though, I'm not sure why you'd think it would be great for an older guy.

Seems like it would be easier to change levels bending the back leg like this.

Not as easy to get low as it used to be.

I’m confused? How low did you get for basic doubles?

...what's the other way of changing your level?

I’m confused? How low did you get for basic doubles?

Remember, I've never wrestled. Done BJJ now for two years.

We do these solo drills where we take shots with the big penetration step and the front knee coming down first and the trailing leg coming up. I go down so hard on my front knee, I bruise the hell out of it while falling on my face. It seems I just can't get low enough to do this safely/properly.

I realize I'll never have a decent double leg, but I don't want to just give up trying.

My usual take down is collar drag to single leg or something off a Russian tie.

Last edited:
Remember, I've never wrestled. Done BJJ now for two years.

We do these solo drills where we take shots with the big penetration step and the front knee coming down first and the trailing leg coming up. I go down so hard on my front knee, I bruise the hell out of it while falling on my face. It seems I just can't get low enough to do this safely/properly.

I realize I'll never have a decent double leg, but I don't want to just give up trying.

My usual take down is collar drag to single leg or something off a Russian tie.
Ugh don’t get me started about how penetration steps are taught often. The way this coach showes it is one of the better ways

Lol. I've seen you get started. Thanks for the input.

Definitely not the shot for an older guy. Move is heavily dependent on timing (something I am assuming you certainly don’t have since you’re asking the question) and speed.

Ugh don’t get me started about how penetration steps are taught often. The way this coach showes it is one of the better ways

This is certainly a good “penetration step” but I have/will always use the “step” penetration step. Why? To cover distance. I have found that for myself and most kids I coach, the step is what actually gets them in deep and their hips underneath them. Otherwise, I end up with kids who are far away and sprawled out on.

Now, I do teach this as a penetration step and my explosive athletes certainly have no problem with it. That’s not who I’m generally getting.

This is certainly a good “penetration step” but I have/will always use the “step” penetration step. Why? To cover distance. I have found that for myself and most kids I coach, the step is what actually gets them in deep and their hips underneath them. Otherwise, I end up with kids who are far away and sprawled out on.

Now, I do teach this as a penetration step and my explosive athletes certainly have no problem with it. That’s not who I’m generally getting.
I teach both. I also teach outside step stuff. My issue is with “how” they are taught. Most of the time when people complain about it hurting their knee, or more specifically they are slamming their knee is Because it has been taught awkwardly or incorrectly.

And I think the most undertaught and useful are the backstep penetration and side step penetration

Definitely not the shot for an older guy. Move is heavily dependent on timing (something I am assuming you certainly don’t have since you’re asking the question) and speed.

Ok then. How about suggesting a good video or maybe offering some advice about my problem?

Ok then. How about suggesting a good video or maybe offering some advice about my problem?
I’ll try to find something that explains what I’m looking for, but you said you use a 2on1 and whatnot? Are they working? To be totally honest you don’t need a powerful double as an old hobbyist if you are having success.

This is a double that is highly predicated on speed. Not the best for an older guy, also not the best for a newer wrestler. As someone who didnt rely on speed, even in my peak wrestling years of college and the Olympic level, getting to doubles and leg attacks without relying on speed is easier IMO. Getting to a pressure tie and then releasing pressure IMO is the best way for either slower wrestlers or wrestlers who are strong. Push/pull to a shot, snap and go, or getting their head down then releasing it is going to be your best bet.

Additional thought, I truly think that the obsession with teaching all new kids especially when talking about what me and you deal with (unathlethic ms and hs kids).. inside step power doubles as something they have to learn isn’t productive when trying to get first or second year secondary school kids early wins and success that isn’t counterproductive in the long run

(By counterproductive I’m talking about youth or middle school coaches that teach shitty headlocks (don’t have a problem with headlocks, just shit ones) and cow catchers and whatnot, “teach” a thousand moves and their kids have “wins” but then can’t win in high school)

I’m not saying don’t teach them. And it should eventually be the goal. But trying to get some of these kids to try either type of penetration step when still teaching them how to do a forward roll and lunge, before any other technique is putting the cart before the horse. Teaching basic positioning, a snapdown series or an underhook or Russian series that is planned out and drilled is much more likely to have success and build good habits in my opinion

Further more. This is straight from a respected DI coach who’s coached over 30 years. Instead of trying to obsess over force kids to do “doubles” and because proper “sweep” singles take a little more mobility and athleticism. Teach “power singles” I.e. double legs that go for one leg.

Or teach basic crossface stuff before halves because half Nelson’s actually require a lot of horsepower the kids may not have etc etc.

This is a double that is highly predicated on speed. Not the best for an older guy, also not the best for a newer wrestler. As someone who didnt rely on speed, even in my peak wrestling years of college and the Olympic level, getting to doubles and leg attacks without relying on speed is easier IMO. Getting to a pressure tie and then releasing pressure IMO is the best way for either slower wrestlers or wrestlers who are strong. Push/pull to a shot, snap and go, or getting their head down then releasing it is going to be your best bet.
What’s your thought on focusing more for defense, snaps, control ties before “traditional” stuff for the first year unathletic freshman? My opinion is based off experience but you have way more experience and success

I’ll try to find something that explains what I’m looking for, but you said you use a 2on1 and whatnot? Are they working? To be totally honest you don’t need a powerful double as an old hobbyist if you are having success.

I realize but just ignoring it seems wrong.

The two on one works reasonably often when my partner has my collar. The collar drag is my go to.

Been working on ude gaeshi as well when my partner has my collar.

Back