Coen Brother's new NETFLIX movie - The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

• Thread starter Deleted member 220895
  • Start date
After true grit, I can see why they would want to head back to the old West. That movie was near perfect, and could have actually been a little longer.

The script of the last story was actually really good too. I mean the story was as well, but the articulation and characters were great.
I think I’ll like it more when I rewatch the whole thing.

After true grit, I can see why they would want to head back to the old West. That movie was near perfect, and could have actually been a little longer.

Totally agree about this film being near perfect.

It's been a LONG time since I've seen such near perfect filming, costumes, set, script, acting . . . Near everything. The stories were good to very good too. I was totally not expecting the level of delivery from start to finish.

Btw, I've not seen a really authentic-feeling, gritty yet stylish rendering of Comanche (or any other Native American tribe) brutal attacks on wagon trains in what seems like decades.

This captured the story-book imagery like something in a picture book pre-eighties.

I still haven't cracked the final vignette, but if you loved True Grit, then you should appreciate the similarities between a small character in that film and one of the three passengers in the final vignette:

Bear Man, True Grit
b7cb5df2887bc301cced9b8b1d9ee354.jpg

Trapper, "The Mortal Remains" in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (pictured far right)
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fdanidiplacido%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F11%2FThe_Ballad_of_Buster_Scruggs-07-1200x649.jpg

There is something here apart from appearance. Can't put my finger on it.

Btw, my one caveat is that I had quite low expectation as many of Netflix productions lack . . . heart. Mostly. And I really like Netflix for all it's giving us on the cheap. But yeah, I expected some vapid tripe. So that might have been part of the reason I liked it so much.

I still haven't cracked the final vignette, but if you loved True Grit, then you should appreciate the similarities between a small character in that film and one of the three passengers in the final vignette:

Bear Man, True Grit

Trapper, "The Mortal Remains" in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (pictured far right)
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fdanidiplacido%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F11%2FThe_Ballad_of_Buster_Scruggs-07-1200x649.jpg

I figured it was fairly straightforward in that it showed the different approaches to life and that we all share a similar destination, we're all equally ignorant about life and death as well. Sometimes a story is so on the nose that it's hard to put in a lot of subtext, though I guess the entire thing was practically subtext already so I'm not sure there's a lot to crack.

I like the only one with a happy ending lol

"Where are you Mr.Pocket"

Btw, my one caveat is that I had quite low expectation as many of Netflix productions lack . . . heart. Mostly. And I really like Netflix for all it's giving us on the cheap. But yeah, I expected some vapid tripe. So that might have been part of the reason I liked it so much.
I slept on this and was thrown off by Buster Scruggs in the promotional stuff, I had mixed feelings on the opening story but the end of it hooked me in for the rest of the movie. The rest was amazing and I'm really glad I kept going.

Another gay cowboy movie?

"When a cowboy trades his spurs for wangs."

Sounds pretty gay to me...

I didn't care for the "Buster" Character and turned it off after 20 seconds.

I remember the opening Marty Robbins Song

So, on "Meal Ticket", is it a general consensus that:

Neeson's character caught the guy fucking his wife(or lover) at some point, and took revenge on him by cutting his limbs off and making him a helpless tool to do his bidding, and then discarded him when he found something else that could make him money(the chicken)?

OR...

was Neeson just an overall heartless prick who just didn't value life past what it's monetary value was to him, and the story was a commentary on the entertainment industry in general?

???

IR was most definitely the second one.

Bump
Just watched this film and thought it was amazing.
Any of you guys doubled back and reanalyzed the last vignette? It went over my head o have to admit. While I was watching it I was convinced it would have been entirely supernatural with the guys being agents of death and three passengers being souls headed for the afterlife.

Overall the film was masterful. One thing that I thought was really done convincingly. The make up was fantastic it really looked like these guys were living out in the west away from civilization.

I forgot to go back and watch this. The musical aspect of it really bored me to tears.

I forgot to go back and watch this. The musical aspect of it really bored me to tears.

So is this an actual Western or what? I've never heard of a musical Western.

So is this an actual Western or what? I've never heard of a musical Western.
It’s separated into vignettes and the first vignette is quite campy it’s singing being a key part of the story. The other vignettes all feature singing in some way but is quite different than the first story.
Personally I thought the first story was awesome ina hilarious and campy way. The other stories are darker or dark funny like the corn brothers do so well.

Bump
Just watched this film and thought it was amazing.
Any of you guys doubled back and reanalyzed the last vignette? It went over my head o have to admit. While I was watching it I was convinced it would have been entirely supernatural with the guys being agents of death and three passengers being souls headed for the afterlife.

Overall the film was masterful. One thing that I thought was really done convincingly. The make up was fantastic it really looked like these guys were living out in the west away from civilization.
Yeah, that's the gist of it. The three passengers are passing into the afterlife. The coachmen is death. The two harvesters of souls ride with them.

Notice at Fort Morgan, their destination, that there is a cherub head on one door, and the head of a goat on the other. It's a heaven/hell paradigm. Also notice that the harvesters carry "Mr. Thorpe" up the stairway at the end of the hall flooded with light. This echoes the ascent of Buster Scruggs himself at the end of the first vignette.

Bear Man, True Grit

This IS set in the world of TRUE GRIT. Grandma Turner makes an appearance, and the Trapper is played by the prosecutor who grilled Rooster Cogburn.

If it weren't for Cormac McCarthy I'd think NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN was also set in the same world too.

Back