Colby's antics are the main reason for his terrible performance

potatoReloaded

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Sure, Colby had a long layoff, but a guy who is on his third title shot, with two of them being handed on a silver platter and no more in sight for the near future (especially the way he's been ducking the top guys in the division), with freaking Donald Trump there to support him, and he doesn't even seem slightly disappointed after that ridiculous performance? That's because he was happy he made it out in one piece.

When Leon tagged him, he had to laugh it off. In between rounds, he was more concerned about his looks on the camera than his corner's advice. It eventually became clear: he saw what happened to Marty, and he knew Leon wanted to kill him after that press conference. À la Dillon Danis, he was just too affraid to engage, on the risk of getting KO'd and instantly becoming a meme that would blow up ten fold in proportion to his trash talking. His attempts at wrestling were weak and got even more discouraged after Leon got his own takedown. It was only at the end, when Leon started being sloppy, making it was obvious he wasn't in kill-rage mode, that Colby decided to engage.

IMHO, this was a very winnable fight for Colby, he just gave up before it started.

Last edited:
Colby performed terribly because he sat out for 2 years, topple that with the fact that Leons gotten much better over these past two years and there should be no question rather or not Leon would dominate colby. Still this is mma and anything can happen but ultimately he wasn't the man to dethrone leon and I don't think there will be for a while. After shavkat really who is there that can challenge Leon?

I dont know about that. I thought Leon looked sharp when he engaged but Colby really didnt offer anything so Leon just took what he gave him. Just an easy fight for Leon.
Still wondering what CC's gameplan was, usually he comes forward with non stop pressure and wrestling as his outside striking game isnt going to win him fights. Seemed to be happy to coast to a UD loss until the 5th.

Colby performed terribly because he sat out for 2 years, topple that with the fact that Leons gotten much better over these past two years and there should be no question rather or not Leon would dominate colby. Still this is mma and anything can happen but ultimately he wasn't the man to dethrone leon and I don't think there will be for a while. After shavkat really who is there that can challenge Leon?
I think it has much more to do with the pressure he put on himself than the long layoff, though he would probably deal better with it if he didn't have the layoff.
I also think his cardio is slightly worse, though probably not enough to justify that performance.

I kind of agree with OP
Look at Colby's first loss.
Look at the hate in his eyes.
You could see he hated to lose.
He had potential.
Now, he acts like he is surprised of the result.

Colby performed horrible because of age. He is too old to compete with the top guys. Once the reflexes fade, even a little, you get exposed in sports that require fast reflexes. Colby was so slow last night, it was embarrassing. He will never win a fight in the UFC again.

I think it has much more to do with the pressure he put on himself than the long layoff, though he would probably deal better with it if he didn't have the layoff.
I also think his cardio is slightly worse, though probably not enough to justify that performance.
he's an already shitty striker who took two years off he came back worse than he'd ever been and most likely more rusty, every fighter feels pressure, I don't think he was worried about being made a meme because that's as good as losing by tko, which he's going to avoid regardless

long layoff and trauma from usman fights
should have had a tune up fight first after such long time

I dont know about that. I thought Leon looked sharp when he engaged but Colby really didnt offer anything so Leon just took what he gave him. Just an easy fight for Leon.

Nah, Belal would have done what Colby did in the 5th round to last night's version of Leon for 5 rounds. And Belal probably would have done the same thing to Colby that he did to Brady. It should have been Belal vs Edwards last night, and I think we would have had a new champion based on how it looked last night.

He changed camp and has been a bit overrated for a while. Nothing to do with his antics I think.
His best performances are against RDA 5 years ago and a couple of mediocre kickboxing fights against Usman.

Still wondering what CC's gameplan was, usually he comes forward with non stop pressure and wrestling as his outside striking game isnt going to win him fights. Seemed to be happy to coast to a UD loss until the 5th.
I think the layoff and not being in there in a while just had him like a deer in headlights. The moment of trump being there and everything just seemed to big for him. Some nights you just dont have it. Maybe an adrenaline dump.

Also, he said Leon coming out orthodox really confused him.....I dont know much about Colby's current team but Leon seems to be hitting his stride and around a championship team. Colby on the other hand does not. They needed to wake him up after round 1 and be more urgent i felt that this is his last chance at a belt. Burning bridges with ATT was a big mistake.

Back