Commentary: Why is Charles Oliveira so popular?

Are you a fan of Charles

• Total voters
never has a boring fight.

always on the gas peddle.

fights through adversity.

fights to finish not just win.

had to do all the hard way, genuinely worked his way to the title with impressive wins.

never got gifted easy matchups

he is the epitome of do or die.

after watching the documentary on him before the islam fight, i learned his whole life has been an uphill battle.

doctors told him at a young age he would never even be able to even play soccer.

much less become the most exciting champion we don't deserve.

the fans really got behind him when he got stripped for missing weight and still destroying justin,

then being strong armed into the islam match on a short turn around in abu dabi.

i think the fans feel that the ufc did him dirty.

compared to some of the former champs at 155, olives fought more in one year than they did in 3 years

Charles Oliveira now vs 5/6 years ago is like if you said in 5/6 years Johnny Walker would go on a championship run of all finishes against the elite at LHW

Like, you'd wanna see it, but it doesn't seem realistic; Charles made it happen
<{1-7}>

Was shocked when so many passed up this choice for "yes."
I was gonna, but given the choice I want him to win, not just bleed
<Fedor23>

His recent fights have all been amazing must watch TV for a mma fan, don't see how you could love mma and not be a fan of the guy.

Exciting fighter. A finisher. Fights often. And he has charisma. Doesn't even know much English and still one of the most popular fighters.

Great energy. Humble beginnings. We have seen him in victory and defeat in tears of joy and pain. Still the same Charles. They’ve seen him struggle rise and fall. In all of my years I can’t think of a better representation of The People’s Champ. Lawler had those vibes but Charles has the IT factor

Last edited:
I liked this one. I only disagree when he says he thinks is some sort of psychologic warfare, I can say it is not. Charles is from São Paulo's south coast, from a sibling city right next to mine (that I was born), and I can say 100% most of the people are warm, friendly and genuine. Americans sometimes doubt that Brazilian behavior because they are not like that (at least it seems to me), but most here are, far away from being fake or anything. Most often than not we speak our minds and that's it (at least from here). People who live in this area have a good life, good beaches and beautiful people, good places to go, you don't compete with anybody, just try to sum up instead. That's why he is like that, that's Charles. He is just that respectful, believe.

Charles Oliveira got the biggest pop from the crowd at UFC 289 before and after knocking out Beneil Dariush.

Dave Noseworthy discusses why “Do Bronx” has won the hearts of so many fans across the globe and became a superstar despite not speaking English.

https://www.sherdog.com/videos/misc.video/Commentary-Why-is-Charles-Oliveira-So-Popular-20013

Do we really need an in depth analysis?

Dude is the best finisher in UFC history and he's a reclamation project; two things that fans love

The most diverse finisher in the UFC. Guillotines, knockouts, RNC, calf slicer. He is the ultimate offence machine

His title reign was a damn rollercoaster of emotions with him nearly getting finished but pulling through. Especially when everyone would label him as quitting at the first sign of adversity. It made his wins all the more better.

Is there anyone that isn't a Charles Oli fan? He's one of the best finishers in MMA history.

He’s popular for the right reasons. He’s an exciting finisher who goes for the kill. He’s never in a boring fight and, outside of the Islam fight, comes through in hyped fights. He’s not a trash talker or trying to drum up fake drama. He didn’t even speak English until recently. He’s what all fighters should be.

He's neck-and-neck with Anderson Silva for being the best MMA finisher ever, and his last 13 fights, even including the loss to Islam, is one of the best runs in UFC history.

There's a lot of times that fans ignore deserving fighters. Shouldn't question them for rewarding a guy who deserves support.
Damn, I had never really considered the Silva comparison. Yes Silva was a cold blooded assassin, however I think do Bronx has a stronger killer instinct, and better finishing skills than Silva to be fair.

all but 3 of his wins are decisions, everything else has been a decisive finish by strangulation, Knockout or painful limb manipulation.

Back