Concerts - your first, your last, your favourite, your least favourite

First: Blue Rodeo. I'm pretty sure it was '92 since they performed "Lost Together", but '91 is possible.

Last: Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - In Concert. Neat concept that the TSO had for people who usually don't go to symphonies. The symphony orchestra plays the soundtrack to the film while it's projected on a big screen, so you're getting a movie with a live orchestra. Took my family to see this one in 2019 and the kids loved it.

Best: Pink Floyd. Division Bell tour '94. This was before I started using recreational drugs, and I was like, shit, I think I need to start using drugs cause I don't think I'll ever experience anything this awesome again.

Worst: Metallica, sometime in the mid 2000s. Hammett and Ulrich were checked out, sound was crap, and not even the weed my buddy & I were smoking could erase the suck. Totally bummed me out since the previous Metallica concerts I'd gone to were pretty good.

First was this one. Chuck Berry was the headliner.

ZVT59At.jpeg

Last was Wilco a few weeks ago. I can't find the ticket stub. I think I lost it.

My favorite for purely historical reasons, because none of the three bands that night are my favorite was this one. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana and Pearl Jam.
UEeo0Pt.png

The least favorite was the Cranberries. Not that they were awful or anything, but the sound in the venue I saw them in was terrible. I remember leaving the show with a migraine headache due to how damn loud everything was.

First - Monsters of Rock back in 87 or 88 at the Meadowlands
Last - Ozzy a few years ago at Jones Beach amphitheater.
Favorites - Iron Maiden during the Somewhere Back in Time tour at MSG, Faith No More/Helmet at the Roseland, Big 4 at Yankee Stadium
Least Favorite - Suicidal Tendencies

First "real" concert that wasn't like a local street festival/county fair growing up?: Blink 182

Last: Metallica 3 weeks ago.

Best: Tough one, Rammstein on the Mutter tour, in an 1,100 capacity theater, and with full pyro. Or AC/DC "Black Ice" tour. They made every ticket in the arena $99 I believe?(For sure it was under $100), I was in college still, and my three friends and I all checked out laptops from the library. Then the second they went on sale, we clicked to buy "best available" on all the borrowed/along with our personal laptops(so eight total), and bought the best one we were presented with. We ended up getting floor seats seven rows from the stage!

Worst?: I was offered a free ticket to one of those overinflated "Summer Tours" they do from time to time. It was like Buckcherry, Papa Roach, P.O.D., Puddle of Mudd, Crossfade, and Red? ..and maybe a few other bands. Horrible..each and every one. I knew it too, but had nothing else going on when I was invited, and though "why not, it's free live music?".

Static-X in the mid 2000s, maybe '05 or '06 or something.

Last was Meshuggah

Shittiest was some local bands

Best was prolly KMFDM

First Concert: Iron Maiden "Somewhere in Time Tour"
Last Concert: Misfits cover show on Halloween. Band made up of some local legends. Easily the best show I go to every year.
Best Concert: See above, but if you are talking a bigger show by a super star..........Justin Timberlake........easily. Never been so entertained in my life.
Worst Concert: When I took my kids to see the Doodle Bops.

Let’s share our first, best, worse and latest concerts. Curious to see which ones were best etc.

First: Stevie Wonder, 1986 In Square Circle
Best: Prince, 1988, Lovesexy
Worse: Madonna 1987, not sure the name of tour and dont' care to look it up.
Latest: Prince, Musicology 2004.

Best overall: Prince,1988 the Lovesexy tour. In the round with a thunderbird and basketball hoop and I think a bed if memory serves. Prince was in his live prime, danced, played and sang nonstop. Overall, the best.
Worst: Madonna, I couldn't tell you why I wanted to go see her in concert but I was young and dumb. The show wasn't bad per se, I just am not a fan now and don't respect her image. She wasn't the most talented entertainer but the show was ok.

Best vocally; Stevie Wonder, sang clear and as well as he did on record when i saw him.
Terence Trent D'arby comes damned close to both Prince and Stevie, a better singer than Prince but it was only his first album when i saw him and I don't think he was as developed as the then decade in veteran/prince.

Saw Bruce Springsteen on the rising tour and he delivered as usual. The whole band was still alive at that time and were newly reunited.

I saw that 2004 Prince tour and it was fucking unbelievable. I'm not a huge Prince fan and mostly went along because a couple of hilarious co-workers had an extra ticket. One co-worker was a gay dude and I swear he was trying to dance himself into an orgasm the entire show. I had a blast and Prince played a long mean solo that was killer. Endless energy and probably an all time top 5 mainstream perfomer. Can't imagine what he was like in his younger years.

Best: Grateful Dead!
First: Beach Boys
Worst: G Love and Special Sauce

First: Lynard Skynard and the Doobie Brothers 1995

Last: Dead & Company this past September

Best: Widespread Panic w Dirty Dozen Brass Band

First: Blue Rodeo. I'm pretty sure it was '92 since they performed "Lost Together", but '91 is possible.

Last: Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - In Concert. Neat concept that the TSO had for people who usually don't go to symphonies. The symphony orchestra plays the soundtrack to the film while it's projected on a big screen, so you're getting a movie with a live orchestra. Took my family to see this one in 2019 and the kids loved it.

Best: Pink Floyd. Division Bell tour '94. This was before I started using recreational drugs, and I was like, shit, I think I need to start using drugs cause I don't think I'll ever experience anything this awesome again.

Worst: Metallica, sometime in the mid 2000s. Hammett and Ulrich were checked out, sound was crap, and not even the weed my buddy & I were smoking could erase the suck. Totally bummed me out since the previous Metallica concerts I'd gone to were pretty good.
Those Star Wars concerts would be awesome. I’ve alway been a huge fan of John Williams.

@EvilDDS did you also end up seeing the TLJ concert with the TS0?

Concerts are also about circumstances, location and attitude. The first time I saw Motley Crue I was 16. The show opened up with Laser Pentagrams flashing all over the crowd and then that bazooka guitar from Mick starting Shout at The Devil. It was surreal. Later in the show Tommy Lee was on a highriser over the crowd and dropped a stick I grabbed. It was huge. A guy comes up to me and offers me $100 for it. I took it lol. Me and my buddy brought 2 girls and we used that money at a Taco Bell and to have a guy buy a case of budweisers for us after. That is a night I will never forget.

Rammstein. 2010, I think it was. The absolute best, most professional, fan interactive, no bullshit concert I've ever been to. Dug it so much that I didn't wanna go see them live again cause I didn't wanna risk being underwhelmed and ruining the memory. Combichrist warmed them up, too, fucking loved that band back then.

Those Star Wars concerts would be awesome. I’ve alway been a huge fan of John Williams.

@EvilDDS did you also end up seeing the TLJ concert with the TS0?
I saw ROTJ with the TSO. And loved it. Then they were supposed to do TFA but Covid hit and it keeps getting pushed back. I think it's supposed to be in mid 2022 now

My last concert in a stadium that I went to was Aerosmith, with Skid Row as the opening act way back in the day

I did see Celine Dion at Caesars in Vegas, as the missus wanted to see her when we were there. I was pleasantly surprised. It was her first concert back after her husband had passed away. That French-Canadian woman can sing her heart out, came out into the aisles too. The missus loved it and had tears at some parts. It was basically a tribute to Celine's late husband so she shared some great stories of their time together

First: Smashing Pumpkins, 2000. It was at a theater in Berkeley. They were great. I met them earlier that year at a Tower Records autograph signing and they played a club near Stanford. I couldn't go, I wasn't even 18 yet but when they played Berkeley I had to go.
Best: Jerry Cantrell, 2002 or Chris Cornell, 2007. Jerry Cantrell was playing Slim's in SF and I took my dad. It was an old brick building and you could get a table and order dinner while watching the show. It was a few months after Layne died. He played a lot of Alice in Chains songs and dedicated Would to Layne. For the encore he had Les Claypool play bass on Them Bones and he lit the bass on fire and played it. Chris Cornell was at the Warfield theater in SF. It was just a really good show, one of the few I went to by myself.
Worst: Zeromind, 2006 maybe. My brother in law was friends with this rap rock band called Zeromind. They played a show in SF at a club and he talked me into going, I had never heard of them. We get there and they are nice guys, we go back stage and they ask me if I want to sell their merch (cd's and shirts). I said sure, so the whole show I'm manning the table selling merch. Now it's midnight and I haven't seen my brother in law in about 5 hours. I find him backstage blacked out. He's in their dressing room with drum sticks playing drums with the wall. They think its funny. I drive him home and I have to keep stopping for him to throw up. At one point I pulled off the 101 for him to pee, I think he's going to pee in these bushes where I pulled over but nope he runs up to a lawyers office and pees all over the glass front door. The next day my sister calls me furious asking why he threw up all over the bathroom and tried to flush his socks down the toilet.
Last concert attended: Tool, 2020. Right before the pandemic, I went and saw Tool by myself in a packed arena. It was great, I've seen them probably six times.

First - disturbed
Worst - stained
Best is tough for me. Got to see Billy Idol at welcome to Rockville a few year ago and some other great shows in recents years were Garbage/Blondie, Pixies/Weezer ( Weezer sang Africa from Toto and Wonderwall which was awesome and then I also saw Smashing pumpkins back in 2018 and they kicked ass. All such great shows but if I had to choose it would be Billy Idol as he is the man.

First:
Creed
Jerry Cantrell
3 Doors Down
American Pearl

last:
Gojira
Knocked Loose

favourite:
Ben Nicholas solo/acoustic

least favourite:
Amigo the Devil
Twin Chapel
TC killed the entire vibe with their shitty, shitty music. By the time Amigo got in stage I had completely checked out mentally.

Back