Congratulations, Texas: Highest maternal mortality in developed world thanks to GOP budget cuts

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
Texas has highest maternal mortality rate in developed world, study finds
As the Republican-led state legislature has slashed funding to reproductive healthcare clinics, the maternal mortality rate doubled over just a two-year period

But the report singled out Texas for special concern, saying the doubling of mortality rates in a two-year period was hard to explain “in the absence of war, natural disaster, or severe economic upheaval”.

From 2000 to the end of 2010, Texas’s estimated maternal mortality rate hovered between 17.7 and 18.6 per 100,000 births. But after 2010, that rate had leaped to 33 deaths per 100,000, and in 2014 it was 35.8. Between 2010 and 2014, more than 600 women died for reasons related to their pregnancies.

No other state saw a comparable increase.

In the wake of the report, reproductive health advocates are blaming the increase on Republican-led budget cuts that decimated the ranks of Texas’s reproductive healthcare clinics. In 2011, just as the spike began, the Texas state legislature cut $73.6m from the state’s family planning budget of $111.5m. The two-thirds cut forced more than 80 family planning clinics to shut down across the state. The remaining clinics managed to provide services – such as low-cost or free birth control, cancer screenings and well-woman exams – to only half as many women as before.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/20/texas-maternal-mortality-rate-health-clinics-funding

The far right dont want kids aborted they never said they wanted them to all live to old age

I suppose you support organised theft to support the liberal social engineering?

Goddamn leftists

I suppose you support organised theft to support the liberal social engineering?

Goddamn leftists
Why even bring this up? You're assuming TS is a liberal with no evidence, and instead of arguing the actual point, you're criticizing liberal ideology, which was never part of the conversation.

Texas has highest maternal mortality rate in developed world, study finds
As the Republican-led state legislature has slashed funding to reproductive healthcare clinics, the maternal mortality rate doubled over just a two-year period

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/20/texas-maternal-mortality-rate-health-clinics-funding

They're all mexicans, they don't even belong here.

They should go back home to ensure the highest quality care.

Liberals also, feel free to go to Mexico undocumented to have your children. You will end up in a ditch. lol

Mexico gonna Mexico.

Kind of hard to stop medical and epidemiological trends from crossing the border when you can't stop people from doing it.

So the dems can't figure out that when they encourage people from a third world country (that has a maternal mortality rate of 50) to illegally cross the border to have their babies it might cause an increase in the maternal mortality rate in Texas..... wow, big surprise. "Lets blame it on the Republicans".

Mexico gonna Mexico.

Kind of hard to stop medical and epidemiological trends from crossing the border when you can't stop people from doing it.

So the dems can't figure out that when they encourage people from a third world country (that has a maternal mortality rate of 50) to illegally cross the border to have their babies it might cause an increase in the maternal mortality rate in Texas..... wow, big surprise. "Lets blame it on the Republicans".

You may be right about the overall trend. However, a 100% increase in just four years only happened in Texas and nowhere else in the US or the world.

Why even bring this up? You're assuming TS is a liberal with no evidence, and instead of arguing the actual point, you're criticizing liberal ideology, which was never part of the conversation.

Have you seen his posts? I would say that's a safe assumption. Although, he doesn't seem as hardcore of some of the bozos around here.

BTW, I've always been curious as to why a guy in Germany is so interested in US politics.

Have you seen his posts? I would say that's a safe assumption. Although, he doesn't seem as hardcore of some of the bozos around here.

BTW, I've always been curious as to why a guy in Germany is so interested in US politics.

Regarding anything regarding abortion, I am far from a liberal, but that is a different story. I usually try to see both sides of issues and I believe I do that well most of the time.

Why am I interested in US politics? Several answers to that. I studied International Relations, so being interested in politics is just me. But I also am proud to be a part of the Western cultural sphere. I am grateful for what the US has done to help Germany after WW2 and continues to do as a leader of the free world (which does not mean I will not call US politics out when they are bullshit, e.g. the Iraq War).

And finally, what happens in the US will always have an impact on me in Germany and Europe. It simply will. Our economies and cultures are not independent of each other.

Plus, I have many friends in the States.

Mexico gonna Mexico.

Yeah, it is like when people point out red states are fatter, have more poverty and violence. But if you look at the people leading the charge it is blue voters in those red states. lol. Minorities basically. The blue parts of the state.

Mexico gonna Mexico.

Uh-huh. That's it why Texas and Texas only has seen this huge change. Immigration.
Not Texas' massive reproductive funding cuts.
Immigration.
Because Texas is the only state where immigrants go.

No other state saw a comparable increase
California, where maternal mortality declined

So much for that theory.
Got any more great ideas involving how this doesn't tie directly to Republican policy?

It is God's will said many idiots in the state of Texas. They wanted this. Sickos

The far right dont want kids aborted they never said they wanted them to all live to old age

And in the case of maternal mortality, the right gets a twofer: Deny funding for care that will help kill both poor, unborn babies AND their poor pregnant moms.

And in the case of maternal mortality, the right gets a twofer: Deny funding for care that will help kill both poor, unborn babies AND their moms.
They deserve to die they chose to be born into poverty and stay that way
We must not anger the job creators with talk of taxes to pay for such luxuries as healthcare otherwise they will not allow wealth to trickle down to us common serfs

we got obamacare bitches, the state doesn't have to fund that shit anymore

Interestingly, while Texas is remarkably bad, the maternal mortality stats for the entire country have increased from '93 to 2013.
Most countries improved in that period (although clearly not America, nor Botswana, Afghanistan or Chad).

put an open for business sign at the border and that shit will skew all your stats

we got obamacare bitches, the state doesn't have to fund that shit anymore

Texas republicans took a courageous. principled stand. And rejected the federally funded ACA medicaid expansion for their state. They can hold their heads high.

I'd like Europe to see the impact of their diversity initiative on these stats in a few years.

Back