Conor McGregor is a MASSIVE featherweight

Poirier would walk around at +175.

Which is why he's moving up. Extensive weight cutting equates to being knocked out easier. I'm no scientist, but being at enough Ammy MMA events, it's not even debatable for me at this point.

He walks around what...170ish? So cutting about 25 lbs? I think that's around an average cut.

I'm sure I've seen somewhere Conors height being 6'1
It is amazing how inconsistent these measurements are. It's like cutting all that water shrivels up their bodies and they end up losing height and reach.

He walks around what...170ish? So cutting about 25 lbs? I think that's around an average cut.

I believe it's a pretty big cut. But at featherweight it's significantly bigger in comparison to higher weightclasses.

he's def huge for the weight class

When McGregor KOs Aldo and this will be the excuse people make they both cut from 170 lbs!

Other featherweights

Dustin Poirier - 5'9
Max Holloway - 5'11
Cole Miller 6'1

This exactly. Plus George Roop.

I think Mcgregor is optimal for 145 big enough to have good muscle and reach.

wheres that gif of him trying to jump up on the beam lol. i think it applies here.

When McGregor KOs Aldo and this will be the excuse people make they both cut from 170 lbs!

Other featherweights

Dustin Poirier - 5'9
Max Holloway - 5'11
Cole Miller 6'1

True, but Poirier is more lean than anything, and Holloway/Miller look like they don't even lift.

In contrast, McGregor is huge and shredded.

Not shocking. People duck weightclasses as much as possible now. Bushido spirit is dead. It's about points and being the bully.

LOL @ Bushido spirit.

Half of the talent pool in this sport is comprised of ex-high school and college wrestlers who are looking for a paycheck. Most of the other half is made up of tattooed, dyed mohawk wearing douchebags who like to beat people up when they're drunk.

"Honor" and all of that bullshit Eastern mysticism that was infused into American culture from decades of bad martial arts movies have absolutely nothing to do with the average MMAist's motivation for fighting.

Guys are in this to maximize their chances of getting consistent paychecks. If that means cutting down a weight class, they're going to do it.

LOL at 25 pounds being the average weight cut for a FW. Might be average for a LHW and even that i doubt it is. Aldo is probly right when he says Conor uses peds to cut weight.

I... cannot even believe this is a genuine post.

BTW...height and reach doesnt have shit to do with being massive. Roop is over 6ft and fights at 135

They are indications as to the size of your frame. It has plenty to do with it all other things being equal. And in this case Conor is bigger than everyone he's fought except Poirier and he left the weight class.

LOL @ Bushido spirit.

Half of the talent pool in this sport is comprised of ex-high school and college wrestlers who are looking for a paycheck. Most of the other half is made up of tattooed, dyed mohawk wearing douchebags who like to beat people up when they're drunk.

"Honor" and all of that bullshit Eastern mysticism that was infused into American culture from decades of bad martial arts movies have absolutely nothing to do with the average MMAist's motivation for fighting.

Guys are in this to maximize their chances of getting consistent paychecks. If that means cutting down a weight class, they're going to do it.

You'd be a good secondary character in a Disney cartoon. The Bushido spirit made the fight game what it should be. Points and "not losing" has helped ruin it. Now we're turning to WWE characters again, just to save the sport.

One interesting thing to note is the way he carries his weight too. He is very cut and his upper body is massive in comparison to his legs and midsection. Seems the more useful weight in MMA is in the arms, shoulders, chest and upper back. You can see this exemplified in Jon Jones as well. This has been a working theory of mine for years and Conor is a decent example. MMA appears to heavily favor rangier guys with long reach for their height and a top-heavy muscular, lean build. I'm sure this can vary by fighting style somewhat though.

He has a big frame for the weight class but he already plans on moving up to 155 so it's obviously not a problem.

I mean he's no Jon Jones but he is a tall, long man for 145

One interesting thing to note is the way he carries his weight too. He is very cut and his upper body is massive in comparison to his legs and midsection. Seems the more useful weight in MMA is in the arms, shoulders, chest and upper back. You can see this exemplified in Jon Jones as well. This has been a working theory of mine for years and Conor is a decent example. MMA appears to heavily favor rangier guys with long reach for their height and a top-heavy muscular, lean build. I'm sure this can vary by fighting style somewhat though.

I noticed it about Jones and have never thought about Conor this way interesting stuff

Back