<<Console Wars>> PS5 vs. XSX

Everyone is waiting on Steve from Gamers Nexus to do a proper analysis on this “new” PS5 model before jumping to any conclusions.

I don't know who that is, but what about this review isn't proper. Did you watch the video? It's about as in-depth as you can get when it comes to the hardware side of things.
So Law is right, vent heat isn't going to tell us much. The fact that its hotter at the vent could mean it's actually removing more heat from the components and is therefore better. I couldn't watch the video with sound so I'm not sure if they made other changes. If all they did was remove copper though, then I imagine it's probably going to be worse. But then again, maybe the PS5 was already running at well under it's threshold and can afford to run a little hotter if that is the case

But muh backwards compatibility!

They could release series S games at lower prices and keep series X games at the current prices. They won't do that though so we're gonna get games that won't be at their full potential for awhile.

Stop being gullible.

FYI, this story trended nearly a week ago because one of the developers of the universally panned Gotham Knights tried scapegoating the Series S for his team's atrocious development of that video game:
https://gamerant.com/rocksteady-fleur-marty-comments-xbox-series-s-holding-back-generation/

He was immediately mocked on social media by gamers worldwide who saw through the excuse. It isn't the Series S's fault that game is a piece of shit. Among his quotes was the laughable claim, "we have a current gen console that's not much better than a last gen one." The Series has the same CPU as the Series X (which is superior to the PS5's, btw). The GPU and the memory bandwidth is roughly 4x as powerful as the Xbox One's. The SSD operates at effective speeds over 30x as fast as the hard drive in the Xbox One.

Moreover, a reason this claim is laughable is because anyone with critical reasoning will immediately espy it implies that the market for current gen PC hardware must be the same. From the Steam survey, we know the Series S CPU and GPU is superior to over 80% of the target PC gaming market's hardware. Most explicitly, the Minimum required specs on PC for the game are the FX-8350 CPU and the Radeon RX 5300 GPU. These are pitiful in comparison to the hardware in the Series S. They're barely better than the Xbox One. So why isn't he whining about the limitations to meet baseline PC gaming hardware as a prerequisite to target an appreciable customer base?

Surprised you fell for this nonsense. Any educated hardware jockey will see through it. That's why Gerstmann is calling bullshit on it. You should have known who was telling the truth. This is manufactured negative press. It's no different than all the seed stories the past year trying to foment resentment over (nonexistent) Call of Duty monopoly abuse. Corporations rely on the less discriminating to fail to discern the "sponsored content" from the real news.

Oh, I was reminded to revisit the graphics war with this thread. For some reason many bitterly disputed my simple contention that the XSX would vanquish the PS5's performance in the long run. We can put that to bed now. Digital Foundry's own John Linneman posted a tweet with a summary of all his analyses on June 30th to that point:

Xbox wins 8, PS5 wins 2, tie for 5 (as of June, 30)

Since then, DF has compared four more games:

F1 2022 (July 5, 2022)

Series X maintains select ray-traced reflections in gameplay (ex. cockpit) where PS5 does not
Result: XSX win

The Quarry (July 13, 2022)
Xbox wins (higher dynamic resolution on XSX; special ray-tracing effects like god-rays missing on PS5)

Bright Memory Infinite (August 3, 2022)

“When looking at technical performance and image quality, the order is clear: Xbox Series X is on top”

Saint’s Row (August 22, 2022)

“There’s no difference between PS5 and XSX in using equivalent modes”
Result: Tie

Finally, DF hasn't yet analyzed these two recent games, but numerous outlets have. I'll reference WCCFTech and IGN:

A Plague Tale: Requiem
(WCCFTech, not Digital Foundry)
https://wccftech.com/a-plague-tale-...30fps-next-gen-xbox-series-x-better-than-ps5/
PS5 has noticeable issues, most notably when there are a lot of rats on the screen.

Gotham Knights

Performance is equally poor/unstable on all platforms (PC included).
Result: Tie

Final Tally - Graphics Wins
Xbox: 12
PS5: 2
Ties: 7

Stop being gullible.

FYI, this story trended nearly a week ago because one of the developers of the universally panned Gotham Knights tried scapegoating the Series S for his team's atrocious development of that video game:
https://gamerant.com/rocksteady-fleur-marty-comments-xbox-series-s-holding-back-generation/

He was immediately mocked on social media by gamers worldwide who saw through the excuse. It isn't the Series S's fault that game is a piece of shit. Among his quotes was the laughable claim, "we have a current gen console that's not much better than a last gen one." The Series has the same CPU as the Series X (which is superior to the PS5's, btw). The GPU and the memory bandwidth is roughly 4x as powerful as the Xbox One's. The SSD operates at effective speeds over 30x as fast as the hard drive in the Xbox One.

Moreover, a reason this claim is laughable is because anyone with critical reasoning will immediately espy it implies that the market for current gen PC hardware must be the same. From the Steam survey, we know the Series S CPU and GPU is superior to over 80% of the target PC gaming market's hardware. Most explicitly, the Minimum required specs on PC for the game are the FX-8350 CPU and the Radeon RX 5300 GPU. These are pitiful in comparison to the hardware in the Series S. They're barely better than the Xbox One. So why isn't he whining about the limitations to meet baseline PC gaming hardware as a prerequisite to target an appreciable customer base?

Surprised you fell for this nonsense. Any educated hardware jockey will see through it. That's why Gerstmann is calling bullshit on it. You should have known who was telling the truth. This is manufactured negative press. It's no different than all the seed stories the past year trying to foment resentment over (nonexistent) Call of Duty monopoly abuse. Corporations rely on the less discriminating to fail to discern the "sponsored content" from the real news.
All I gotta say is that in one of the threads I linked you clearly mentioned PS5 is what is holding Xbox back.

I understand your logic about PC gaming, and how system builds are all over the map. How come the same logic isn't applied to multiplatform PS5 and Xbox?

All I gotta say is that in one of the threads I linked you clearly mentioned PS5 is what is holding Xbox back.
I suspect you're misinterpreting a facetious mockery of those who disparaged Microsoft's decision to 'end' console generations when they openly embraced a philosophy of backwards compatibility in the vein of PC gaming. Because, if we choose to think in such a manner, disregarding techniques like DRS, then indeed, the PS5 does hold back the XSX. How much will one nitpick his porridge? Where is the line on the spectrum drawn?
I understand your logic about PC gaming, and how system builds are all over the map. How come the same logic isn't applied to multiplatform PS5 and Xbox?
Your question doesn't make sense. The logic is simple. Why is the Gotham Knights developer scapegoating the XSS when far weaker hardware for the PC is accomodated? This is a refutation. It invalidates his criticism in devastating fashion. So the more pertinent question is...why is this developer nonsensically maligning the XSS?

Stop being gullible.

Can you explain in what way the series s cpu is superior to the ps5 cpu?
Better architecture?
Speed wise the only thing I can find that the series s cpu is faster without smt enabled since ps5 only runs with smt enabled.
With smt enabled it's 3.5 ghz (ps5) vs 3.4 ghz (series s)
Maybe I'm missing something so feel free to correct me.

Can you explain in what way the series s cpu is superior to the ps5 cpu?
Better architecture?
Speed wise the only thing I can find that the series s cpu is faster without smt enabled since ps5 only runs with smt enabled.
With smt enabled it's 3.5 ghz (ps5) vs 3.4 ghz (series s)
Maybe I'm missing something so feel free to correct me.
Higher sustained turbo, and the ability to dynamically change between hyperthreading for a higher peak frequency when the task is needed.

Back