Cop arrests nurse for doing her job

This is truly a disgrace. What a shit biscuit this cop is. He shames both the badge and testicles for his poor portrayal of a cop and a man. I dont even have the words for this dick nugget. I tried to figure out why this video pissed me off more than the usual. He doesnt beat anyone, shoot someone unarmed, plant drugs. I guess when compared to the above, this is mild in the grand scheme of things. So why did this piss me off? Maybe because this wasn't some criminal running because of a warrant, or someone running their mouth, someone who had a brush with the law before? She's a professional, and cops have pretty good relationships with nurses? I don't know, to be honest. But he did some damage to law enforcement with his actions.

I'm guessing they want to pin a DUI or something on the victim so they can say that he was partially responsible for being injured if it comes up in court. I bet police get away with that kind of thing all the time.

I think you may be right. I can't think of any other reason.

They also take into consideration the precedent that would be set. Word gets out that this woman got handed even $100,000 for a day in jail, and you're going to have problems with people looking to get arrested for bullshit, so they can get paid too.

She got arrested. It was wrong. They released her. She might get some kind of small settlement that won't even pay her lawyer's fee. I doubt she even gets that though.

I don't see this as a big payout, either. She did not go to jail and was not charged with a crime that would show up on any records search. If she had been booked into the jail, I think she would get a decent payout, but she is probably looking at about 10k at best.

This is truly a disgrace. What a shit biscuit this cop is. He shames both the badge and testicles for his poor portrayal of a cop and a man. I dont even have the words for this dick nugget. I tried to figure out why this video pissed me off more than the usual. He doesnt beat anyone, shoot someone unarmed, plant drugs. I guess when compared to the above, this is mild in the grand scheme of things. So why did this piss me off? Maybe because this wasn't some criminal running because of a warrant, or someone running their mouth, someone who had a brush with the law before? She's a professional, and cops have pretty good relationships with nurses? I don't know, to be honest. But he did some damage to law enforcement with his actions.
The most infuriating part of the story is that the cop is on paid administrative leave. Fire the piece of shit. The whole interaction is recorded, we know the background info, he needs to be fired. I don't see how a union could even defend his actions. His union needs to come out and say they don't condone this mans action and call for his firing. If you want to gain public trust again, things like this need to happen. The superior that told him to get the blood needs to suffer the same fate.
I'm usually on the side of the cops, but this is just bullshit.

Lot of cop apologists in here this morning I see. Fairly typical somewhat robotic behavior by them as well.

(in robot voice) cop always good, no matter what, citizen must obey...citizen must obey

I am not seeing all of these apologists. I went through the first 8 pages and found two posts that did not call this tool out on his bullshit. I think you are simply trying too hard to find someone to argue with on this issue. This cop fucked up, or at least damaged, the very good relationship that cops and nurses have. I am embarrassed and astonished at this one. Why couldn't he just punch her or shoot her dog? Instead, he rudely hangs up on her supervisor and drags her outside because she refused to stab a man with a hypodermic syringe who was the victim of some asshole running from other cops.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...lice-video-of-crazy-arrest-by-SL-officer.html

"Wubbels, whose maiden name is Alex Shaffers, was a two-time Olympian in alpine skiing, competing in the 1998 and 2002 Winter Olympics. She credits the toughness she learned from being an Olympic athlete for getting her through the ordeal."

^^LOL. Just, LOL.^^ What incredible metal toughness she has to overcome such a tragic ordeal. :rolleyes:

Also, maybe no one else noticed, but there was a fatal accident. Anyone ever consider there could be a PD or county/state protocol that all drivers involved in a fatal MVA are required to provide/submit to blood/urine/breath examination to determine if they were under the influence of anything prior to the MVA? Or maybe the cops found some kind of contraband on the driver or in his truck. Maybe the driver consented BEFORE being brought to the hospital. But of course, no one uses common sense. Instead, it's more fun to 'literally Hitler' everything.

I'll give all you literally Hitlers out there a bone though. The blood ain't going anywhere and the cop can get it at a later time with a warrant if the nurse was being a interfering party.
This is from me as a cop.

Dude is an absolute fucking disgrace. Should be charged with assualt under color of authority, kidnap and false imprisonment. And he should be sued, personally. No qualified immunity when you have no legal standing to make an arrest.

Seriously fuck that guy. And the asshat in Georgia who told the motorist cops only shoot black people.
I admire your honesty and position on this matter. Its too bad the other officers present didnt see an assault under color of authority, kidnap or false imprisonment like you do. Hmmmm, wonder why? Well if it had been an average citizen (non cop)Im sure they would have remembered the penal codes, spotted all the elements of the crime and arrested the perpetrator. Funny how cops often forget their academy training about what constitutes a crime, when the crime is done by a fellow boy in blue. Probably just a coincidence.

Last edited:
The most infuriating part of the story is that the cop is on paid administrative leave. Fire the piece of shit. The whole interaction is recorded, we know the background info, he needs to be fired. I don't see how a union could even defend his actions. His union needs to come out and say they don't condone this mans action and call for his firing. If you want to gain public trust again, things like this need to happen. The superior that told him to get the blood needs to suffer the same fate.
I'm usually on the side of the cops, but this is just bullshit.

I also find that infuriating, but even more so, if this guy was admitted, the normal treatment often involves a blood draw, or if they put in an iv. Get some blood, save it, and the cop can get the search warrant later. And if he was in a crash, he might have some bleeding injuries. And if he doesn't, drag him on the floor until he scrapes a knee! But, that's also infuriating because that blood would not be usable. He could be pouring blood from some injury, but unless you draw it from their heart, anything found in the blood just has to be tainted, so we have to poke more holes in a victim.

I'm stealing Shit-Biscuit and Dick-Nugget for future use. Thank you:)

before we crucify a cop over a 1 minute clip i think we should consider that there might be some state laws that require blood tests from a cdl driver involved in a scene of a crime (even if it wasnt his fault) due to implied consent rules, (not a lawyer but cdl drivers forfeit more legally than the average driver as far as i know)

also, the nurse states hospital policy, not state law.

the cop has no obligation to abide by hospital policy only state law.

now im not saying the nurse wasnt legally in the right she probably was. but the cop MIGHT have a case in arresting her.

did the cop act professionally? NO.

again there was a firey crash with someone running from the cops, the commercial truck driver may have been transporting HAZMAT. you have to go through many legal hoops and hurdles to legally transport that. consenting to any and all searches may be one of those hurdles

before we crucify a cop over a 1 minute clip i think we should consider that there might be some state laws that require blood tests from a cdl driver involved in a scene of a crime (even if it wasnt his fault) due to implied consent rules, (not a lawyer but cdl drivers forfeit more legally than the average driver as far as i know)

now im not saying the nurse wasnt legally in the right she probably was. but the cop MIGHT have a case in arresting her.

again there was a firey crash with someone running from the cops, the commercial truck driver may have been transporting HAZMAT. you have to go through many legal hoops and hurdles to legally transport that. consenting to any and all searches may be one of those hurdles

You just jumped into this thread without reading - didn't you?

You just jumped into this thread without reading - didn't you?
i seen there was another thread without a link posted.

can you point to where im incorrect in my assessment? i didnt see any posts outlining that the unconscious truck driver may have forfeited his right to refuse searches.

what do you disagree with?

HIPPA supercedes state law as it is federal. They need to supply her and her superiors with a warrant first, or the patients permission. Since none of this was supplied, she did her due diligence as a nurse.

"In addition, if the police have probable cause to believe you were under the influence of alcohol or any other illegal substance at the time of the accident, they may take that information to a judge who can sign a warrant to obtain your records"
https://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/drunk_driving/accident_intoxicated.htm

Also the guy he wanted to draw blood from was a reserve cop in a nearby jurisdiction.

HIPPA supercedes state law as it is federal. They need to supply her and her superiors with a warrant first, or the patients permission. Since none of this was supplied, she did her due diligence as a nurse.

"In addition, if the police have probable cause to believe you were under the influence of alcohol or any other illegal substance at the time of the accident, they may take that information to a judge who can sign a warrant to obtain your records"
https://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/drunk_driving/accident_intoxicated.htm
commercial motor vehicle hazmat is also federal law. and you lose the right to refuse searches when you sign up to haul 20k lbs of explosive materials as far as i know.

i seen there was another thread without a link posted.

can you point to where im incorrect in my assessment? i didnt see any posts outlining that the unconscious truck driver may have forfeited his right to refuse searches.

what do you disagree with?

All of it.

Because I read up on the subject.

You should read before you post. Something something 4th amendment something something supreme court case something something GOREADTHEOTHERTHREAD.

commercial motor vehicle hazmat is also federal law. and you lose the right to refuse searches when you sign up to haul 20k lbs of explosive materials as far as i know.

Im unsure how that works but HIPAA is very different as its designed to protect the rights and freedom of patients. When i was in michigan we had to take an entire course on it specifically because how greatly it differed from your basic hospital procedure. Without the patients informed consent they require a warrant or subpoena. Nurses and doctors etc cannot share information with anyone who is not treating the patient without a warrant or POA, or if in the event the evidence is to be used against the patient without their knowledge (warrant overrides this part). It would be different if the patient was a part of police custody already being transferred from a jail cell, as the police would then not need a warrant to collect the evidence, as the patient would also have legal advisory council.

Sorry... this shit is fucked up. Even worse as I read more about it.

So now the Salt Lake Police are sorry? Why weren't they sorry before? This incident happened back in July and the nurse had asked for the University and the City to look into this and she was being ignored.

So she released the video.

And NOW they are sorry.

I truly understand, being a police officer is a tough, fucked up job. I couldn't fathom having to deal with the scum of the Earth on a daily basis. But as these videos become more and more available, it's starting to show that some Police Officers are no better than the criminals out there. They basically assaulted this innocent nurse for doing her job and for having a backbone to stand up their bullying to do what was right.

Nothing less than firing this asshole and slapping criminal charges on him will do. There's a thousand ways he could have handled this situation, including asking his superiors to get a warrant. Also, his superior who ordered this detective to arrest the nurse needs to be fired as well. He's seems to be getting a pass at this point.

Last edited:

I would have to imagine that hospital policy would be designed to fit the law. They must perform dozens if not hundreds of these blood tests every year for police. I have to think they'd be fully informed on the rights of a patient vs the law.

Even if there was a law, I'm confused on how you could force someone to perform a medical procedure against their will. It seems like a weird situation to me.

All of it.

Because I read up on the subject.

You should read before you post. Something something 4th amendment something something supreme court case something something GOREADTHEOTHERTHREAD.
So you accuse me of adding no input to the thread while you post no sources or ideas yourself.

thanks for being courteous red belt
Without the patients informed consent they require a warrant or subpoena. Nurses and doctors etc cannot share information with anyone who is not treating the patient without a warrant or POA,
right on thanks for the response.

but my main point ( and ill leave it from here) is the truck driver already consented when he stepped into a hazmat placarded truck.

so he doesnt need to consent twice.

but again im not a lawyer so im just exploring the second side here.

@jgarner
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implied_consent

Back