Cop Land (1997)

Everytime I catch Copland on TV I am never disappointed. I think it was unduly criticized for having such a great cast. They did alright. Not every movie with a half dozen stars is going to be something like Heat. I would give the flick 8.5/10. It is a solid flick without any real faults.

Interesting. I like Edge of Darkness but have never associated it with Cop Land. It seems to me more akin to movies like Death Wish, Taken or John Wick. Sly's character in Cop Land was more of a "never was" with wasted potential...if that character reminds me of any other in particular it would probably be Robert DeNiro in Mad Dog and Glory or Bruce Willis in Unbreakable.

Spoilers for Cop Land & Edge Of Darkness... Seriously, don't read this if you want to enjoy either or both of these movies:

Way out of their prime 80s action superstars, playing ordinary cops; both movies start with teens getting killed, which ends up being the thread that opens up a system of deeper corruption. Our humble hero gets drawn in, investigates beyond their jurisdiction and despite the protests of their superiors... and then after a well-crafted, intricate plot where he tries to figure out how to bring down the bad guys... both movies basically end with our hero just walking up to the bad guys' house, with a gun, and just fucking blasting everybody, lol.

Great flick.

Been a while, I need to scope it again.

It was a good movie especially the final action scene. Also Robert Patrick plays such a fantastic sleazy cop. He really makes you want to hate him.
god dammit man wrap that shit up in spoilers!

Really enjoyed Copland. One of most realistic corrupt cop movies. Nothing outlandish but really what it can be like with dirty cops. Not all are Vic Mackey.

Not all are Vic Mackey.

The world would be safer overall with a bunch more Vic Mackeys... but keep in mind I think that character was a lot more complicated than just an example of a corrupt cop.

30 mins in, great flick.

Great acting from all. I remember Sly being fatter for this role and forgot how young Harvey and DeNiro look.

It presently sits at a slightly insulting 6.9 on IMDB. I think it would be safe to call this Stallone's best performance not in a Rocky or Rambo film, and an Oscar nomination for him wouldn't have been out of place.

Back when he was making $20M per movie, he made this one for $30K payment if I recall, just to get it made. He also stopped exercising and began pigging out to become a character that didn't seem physically imposing or terribly capable.

Also has one of the most underrated ensemble casts...well ever. Robert DeNiro, Harvey Keitel, Cathy Moriarty, Annabella Sciorra, Peter Berg, Frank Vincent, Michael Rapaport, Janeane Garofalo, Robert Patrick, Noah Emmerich, Ray Liotta, John Spencer, Edie Falco, Blondie's Debbie Harry and Method Man, among others.

It deserved better, critically and commercially.

I just watched this last night, oddly enough.

Like 3/4 of the cast was on the Sopranos.

Good movie, very underrated.

Is there a 'Recommended Film Thread'?

Could do with a few more of these golden oldies or gems being brought to light again.

Hollywood throws out such shit these days a little revisit to films outside the Marvel Universe are more than welcome!

Great flick. The only member of the film that take me out of it a bit is the kid that theyre all trying to kill. Dont know why, Ive just never liked him in anything he has ever done. Maybe its because he is so annoying to me that I want him to get capped. Im a bad person.
Its funny cos hes the only one who stands out to me as well. I havent watched this movie in like 20 years though

Back