Could Half-Life 3 become a McGregor of PC gaming?

Panmisiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Breaking all time sales of everything that was released so far?

Top PC sales so far:

1. Minecraft 24 mil
2. World of Warcraft 14 mil
3. Diablo 3 12.5 mil
4. Counter Strike 12 mil
5. The Sims 11.24 mil
6. Starcraft 11 mil
7. Garrys Mod 10 mil
8. Half-Life 2 ----- 9.4 mil (only Steam release)
9. Half-Life ----- 9.3 mil
10. The Sims 3 ----- 7.72 mil

Its difficult to say. Steam got 125 million active users, so the chance to break records is definitely high.

Why did I just start talking about HF3 all over again? Because Turtle Rock (Valve subsidiary) responsible for Left 4 Dead game, released just now an OFFICIAL campaign for the game thus sparking HF3 speculation all over again.

Would you buy HF3 if it were announced?

ol9e8xwlojk5ehdx7prh.jpg

Last edited:
It definitely has the potential to. Episode 2 ended on a major cliff hanger and it would be a continuation of one of the goat game franchises after years of hype.
I don't think it would sell as good if it were a VR exclusive title though. Hopefully if it does get made it gets released on Xbox one/ps4 because my laptop would definitely not be able to handle it lol

Assuming it does get released I think, like Diablo 3, Half-Life 3 will clear 10 million in the first week easy. Not sure if it will topple Minecraft though.

I honestly have no idea why that fucker Gabe isn't pushing for a HL3 release.. It's frustrating and I don't understand the logic behind the reasoning. The company obviously has enough money to develop the game as a triple A title. It would be a huge success even if it sucks. It's the game that put Steam on the map on the first place.

I honestly have no idea why that fucker Gabe isn't pushing for a HL3 release.. It's frustrating and I don't understand the logic behind the reasoning. The company obviously has enough money to develop the game as a triple A title. It would be a huge success even if it sucks. It's the game that put Steam on the map on the first place.

This is 4 years old now but it's a decent insight into whats going on.

I think Valve knows they could never release something that would live up to the hype and justify spending oodles of money.

Until they got super stoked about VR.

I'm guessing HL3 will be a polished VR release, so still super far out (3-8 years). Valve has the majority of its dev's working on VR, so it makes sense in my mind.

I think Valve knows they could never release something that would live up to the hype and justify spending oodles of money.

Until they got super stoked about VR.

I'm guessing HL3 will be a polished VR release, so still super far out (3-8 years). Valve has the majority of its dev's working on VR, so it makes sense in my mind.

Let me make something clear for you. No matter what game gets released on VR, no matter how hyped, no matter how cheap, no matter mainstream, you will never ever see my buying it, yet alone VR itself.

My personal take on it just having pieced together bits and pieces from interviews and whatnot:

Obviously it was in deep development at some point. There was talk of how Valve was going to incorporate sign language into the game, as it would introduce a deaf character using it. So they were obviously having some pretty grand ideas.

Portal 2 was released and someone, I think it was Lombardi, said that Portal would probably be their last "Isolated Single Player Experience". IIRC there was some insinuation that such time and expense for a 10 hour campaign just wasn't as profitable as those with a multiplayer focus.

The final nail in the coffin was Newell talking a bit off the cuff about single player games and FPS games, saying if they (Valve) wanted to "go back" and do a "super classic" game like that, it would only make sense if that's what the people were really motivated to do.

The obvious inference here is that they lost interest in FPS games in the vein of the HL series. Which makes a certain amount of sense. Valve is full of arguably the brightest and most creative people in the business, and many of them had been doing FPS games for a decade. It's likely they just grew weary of it and moved on to something else and the spark just isnt there anymore.

At this point, it couldn't possibly meet the expectations built up by 12+ years of anticipation and speculation.

At this point, it couldn't possibly meet the expectations built up by 12+ years of anticipation and speculation.

Half-Life 3 is my white whale. I have no doubt it could be the best game of all time - but even then, I tend to agree: the expectations at this point are simply unrealistic, especially considering how innovative HL and HL2 were at their time. I don't think there's much room left for that kind of innovation in first-person shooters anymore. It would take some absolutely mind-blowing new technology (which, by the way, I can't possibly associate with the gimmick of VR) to match those expectations.

It's also disheartening that Marc Laidlaw, HL and HL2's writer, left Valve a couple of years ago and said he has no idea where the company might take the franchise.

It's a sad state of affairs, and personally, I blame the cancer that is Dota 2. Valve's Erik Johnson made it clear in an interview during the first "The International" tournament that that's all Valve cares about these days. So fuck them.

Half-Life 3 is my white whale. I have no doubt it could be the best game of all time - but even then, I tend to agree: the expectations at this point are simply unrealistic, especially considering how innovative HL and HL2 were at their time. I don't think there's much room left for that kind of innovation in first-person shooters anymore. It would take some absolutely mind-blowing new technology (which, by the way, I can't possibly associate with the gimmick of VR) to match those expectations.

It's also disheartening that Marc Laidlaw, HL and HL2's writer, left Valve a couple of years ago and said he has no idea where the company might take the franchise.

It's a sad state of affairs, and personally, I blame the cancer that is Dota 2. Valve's Erik Johnson made it clear in an interview during the first "The International" tournament that that's all Valve cares about these days. So fuck them.

DOTA is established as can be and can be run and managed by a handful of people at this point. I don't think that is an excuse to abandon development of other franchises, and I doubt that is what happened. It isn't like Gabe said "Fuck it all.. everyone is working DOTA now".

I am very sad at the state of HL. Even if they had just done episode 3 to wrap up the story it would have been better than what we got. I have no doubt HL3 would shatter records even if it wasn't ground breaking. People want to know what happens next.

The Mcgregor of PC gaming? Come on man... Is Conor the only thing on his fans minds or something? You thought that was the best way to ask us if it would break Minecraft's record?

Please dont bring that Conor bullshit on this section, the whole site is infested with it as it is already.

Also i dont care about H3 anymore, its been too long it doesnt matter if they will make it or not for me at this point.

Breaking all time sales of everything that was released so far?

Top PC sales so far:

1. Minecraft 24 mil
2. World of Warcraft 14 mil
3. Diablo 3 12.5 mil
4. Counter Strike 12 mil
5. The Sims 11.24 mil
6. Starcraft 11 mil
7. Garrys Mod 10 mil
8. Half-Life 2 ----- 9.4 mil (only Steam release)
9. Half-Life ----- 9.3 mil
10. The Sims 3 ----- 7.72 mil

Its difficult to say. Steam got 125 million active users, so the chance to break records is definitely high.

Why did I just start talking about HF3 all over again? Because Turtle Rock (Valve subsidiary) responsible for Left 4 Dead game, released just now an OFFICIAL campaign for the game thus sparking HF3 speculation all over again.

Would you buy HF3 if it were announced?

ol9e8xwlojk5ehdx7prh.jpg
Grand theft auto v has sold over 70 million. console versions alone laugh most of that list for sales. Not counting digital sales figures are something like
21+ million on ps3
16+ million on 360
12+ million on ps4
5+ million on xbone

Screw HL:3 just gimme portal 3 and I'm a happy lil clam. At this point I doubt Half life 3 will ever be made. hell I doubt Portal 3 will ever be made either.

Screw HL:3 just gimme portal 3 and I'm a happy lil clam. At this point I doubt Half life 3 will ever be made. hell I doubt Portal 3 will ever be made either.
This is about selling HTC vive headsets from the discriptions. HL3 sounds like shorts from HL1 through HL3. HL3 is going to likely be the shortest of the bunch and finish the series. HTC likely been pressing to release HL3 for sometime to help with sales of the VIVE VR headset. I always said that HL3 would be a perfect application to sell tons of VIVE headsets in stores. I bet their getting ready for a Christmas boxed HL3 VIVE VR headset package deal with custom VIVE HL3 VR headsets. It will come to Playstation VR heads also but first released for VIVE for the holidays.

It definitely has the potential to. Episode 2 ended on a major cliff hanger and it would be a continuation of one of the goat game franchises after years of hype.
I don't think it would sell as good if it were a VR exclusive title though. Hopefully if it does get made it gets released on Xbox one/ps4 because my laptop would definitely not be able to handle it lol

I need to play and finish episode 1 and 2 already. Might start a fresh play through.

Back