Countering spinning back kicks

Bashir Ahmad

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
A lot of the fighters at the gym have backgrounds in Sanshou (what Cung Le has a background in) and they do these super annoying spinning back kicks that don't usually hurt me but if placed right at the solar plexus sure would.

I know I can stop it by jamming them and not giving them room to do it.

What about in the situation where I am in range to get kicked and see if coming. It's hard to catch like a round house and backing up simply serves the kicks purpose to push me away. Not to mention backing straight out is never a good idea.

How can I punish the guy for throwing a spinning back kick? First some sort of striking counter and then grappling counters (meaning, maybe shoot for the takedown?)

Any help is appreciated and if someone can show any video clips of a spinning back kick being used effectively in MMA comp and better yet COUNTERED effectively I will be very happy.

A lot of the fighters at the gym have backgrounds in Sanshou (what Cung Le has a background in) and they do these super annoying spinning back kicks that don't usually hurt me but if placed right at the solar plexus sure would.

I know I can stop it by jamming them and not giving them room to do it.

What about in the situation where I am in range to get kicked and see if coming. It's hard to catch like a round house and backing up simply serves the kicks purpose to push me away. Not to mention backing straight out is never a good idea.

How can I punish the guy for throwing a spinning back kick? First some sort of striking counter and then grappling counters (meaning, maybe shoot for the takedown?)

Any help is appreciated and if someone can show any video clips of a spinning back kick being used effectively in MMA comp and better yet COUNTERED effectively I will be very happy.

We used to blast in but you need to see it. Spinning roundhouse kicks are easier because the foot is off-line for longer. However, in the spinning backkick, if you are in a stance where their kicking foot is coming up towards your rear leg, you can consider superman punching. This will take the direct body hit out of the equation, allow you to close distance and get the majority of your body out of the way. You will go over it. Just be leaning forward way more than normal (keep your elbows in until the kick is absormed or has missed).

YOu could also sit on it and shift out of the way and catch it as it extends (watch a cheap backhand). If you throw your foot in front of his foot and push, you will put him on his face and perhaps stop him from throwing it.

YOu could also just move more. Sitting targets are what those kicks need. Misdirections.

YOu could check-kick or teep it with a lead leg.

Don't absorb it. I have a permanent dent on my shin from that. Also don't shoot for a takedown because if you miss... ouchie.

I have a friend who I spar w/ who did tkd alot when he was young and loves to throw those. I've found that as soon as you see him setting up it, rush him. You can go in at an angle and get to him before he completes the kick. If you see him come forward and start, dont back up cause he will catch you if he's good enough. You have to go forward and get to him before he can turn completely.

Purely an aside: I once threw a spinning back kick against a third degree black belt I had never seen before. All he did was pivot his lead foot 45 degrees clockwise so that he was facing his right and caught my freaking kick as it was jutted out, then tripped my support leg out.

Now, I throw very slow back kicks and this guy was on a whole 'nother level, so I would never recommend trying it.... but if you DID manage to do this, then take your opponents back and RNC him, you'd be the fucking man.

Purely an aside: I once threw a spinning back kick against a third degree black belt I had never seen before. All he did was pivot his lead foot 45 degrees clockwise so that he was facing his right and caught my freaking kick as it was jutted out, then tripped my support leg out.

Now, I throw very slow back kicks and this guy was on a whole 'nother level, so I would never recommend trying it.... but if you DID manage to do this, then take your opponents back and RNC him, you'd be the fucking man.

Really a pretty common counter to the spin side/back kick. Just takes some nerve to stay in and do it. I used to hit them with a counter spin side kick by stepping off-line with the rotation before countering.

you can step back, side step (NOT into the kick but away from it b/c sometimes people can angle it in if they see you side stepping so even if you get hit it deflects off a bit), OR, my personal favorite, teep the shit out of him. if you see it coming pull the knee up on the side the kick is coming to (in case you mistime it or he is very fast it will catch you on the leg hopefully instead of the body).

teep on his back/side while he is turning and is going onto one leg. works wonders. he is going to lean backwards while throwing the kick in order to get full power on it so that means he is already going that way. guide him with a stiff teep on his back side

i either

step in and to the side away from the kick, so even if he spins really fast, he either misses, or if he continues to spin further to hit me, i at least have way more than enough time to step in on him.

or just try to teep and hit him first

i used to try to sidestep and catch it, but that forces me to drop my hand to their foot, and after getting backfisted a few times, i stopped that lol

not sure what type of back kick you are getting hit with ? offensive , defensive ,or a one step back kick .

anyways the counters are similar

a; jam him up , charge at him , jump into him , move a little sideways as he is kicking , dont go in square to him , and turn your self kinda sideways as you jam , either the kick will miss or deflect off and you wont take full brunt of the kick ,watch out for the rising back kick to the face .

b; use your feints or triangle step to draw out the kick , and then counter it with your back leg round kick to his open side , you are going to want to triangle or fade to the side on your opponent of the leg which is doing the kick , eg, if he kicks with right leg , you want to end up on his left side when he kicks ,, if you pick wrong side use your switch kick . if he is using a one step back kick the side is same as his kicking leg .

c; fade or slide backwards with your opponents kick , i kinda fade backwards and a little sideways , agian to the same side his kick is coming from , once he extends you counter with your own kick , now i counter with a punch to the face , fuck the kick .

d: again fading or sliding backwards , wait until his leg is totally extended and come up with your round kick , sometimes you get balls with this counter , but that helps to deter future back kicks .

e; when they are using the one step back kick , your best options are to jam , or use your lateral movements , backing up is playing right into that kick .and is not recomended unless his kick is weak and you want to hold your ground or takedown .

most of the techniques i described need traing and for you to have the desire to counter his back kick ,,the secret is to do something , anything , dont just stand there and be a spectator to the back kick , use backwards motions , lateral motions or jammimg techniques , and above all else when someone hits you with a back kick , punch them in the face , make them pay for it , that goes with all kicks you get hit with .

Last edited:
I came from a MT/Yaw-Yan background and had training with a few Lakay Wushu guys so I throw a lot of spinning back kicks. For me, the best counter is NOT of let your opponent set up that kick in the first place. Prevent them by constantly moving and finding your range. I would say trying to jam it and rush forward would be dangerous, I KD'd a lot of guys trying to do that via backfist/elbow. The poster above me gave a lot of good options too.

In addition to the better, offensive methods mentioned, you can also "ride" the kick backwards as a last ditch effort. If you just don't see it until it is too late, get up on your tip toes and jump very slightly up and backwards. Even a sharp, properly thrown back kick will be survivable. You'll go flying across the ring and make a weird noise, but you won't go down.

1:26- you can do this and not be gentile- pin down their shoulder with your knee and your good to go

Pay attention to his rear leg, he might when setting it up narrow his stance as to throw it faster.

When I throw it I set up a second or two before I commit if you can see it you can step out of range and step in with a hard kick.

If he follows all the way through he'll think twice about throwing it if he knows your seeing it.

pivot your foot and just turn out of the way

^^^This.

If you actually see a turning back kick coming, just move to the side and get out of the way.

A turning back kick is best used as a counter kick to a straight thrusting kick (IE: front kick, side kick)

If you're using a back kick offensively, you need to set it up with strikes & lateral footwork and get into your opponent's peripherals where he can't see it coming (IE: jab, step, turning back kick)

The best technique is usually the simplest one. As others have said, if you can see it coming, pivot or side step while staying within striking range.

1:26- you can do this and not be gentile- pin down their shoulder with your knee and your good to go

Seeing Kancho Kanazawa doing that to his son Nobuaki at such a 'young' age is very impressive. He gets a lot of height in that pick up/sweep.

I prefer the Jiyu Ippon #1 with the yori ashi, kage tsuki counter.

Seeing Kancho Kanazawa doing that to his son Nobuaki at such a 'young' age is very impressive. He gets a lot of height in that pick up/sweep.

I prefer the Jiyu Ippon #1 with the yori ashi, kage tsuki counter.

can you translate it to english please , i dont know any japanese karate terminology , but i am interested in hearing your opinion

Peanut, if you watch from 0:00 to 1:15 he explains it pretty well.

Applied to terms in Muay Thai:

You slide the front leg back just slightly so you are out of range. (Similar to how some thai fighters move the front leg back to evade a leg kick.)

The front hand can either catch, scoop, or sweep/parry away the spinning back kick. (Similar to sweeping away a teep)

Follow up with Right Hook as you slide or step in.

Requires some familiarity with striking in switch stances.

The trick is to focus on evading the kick with your footwork rather than relying on the catch, scoop/sweep what have you which is more a formality. Also take into consideration that you do not evade too much to put you out of place to counter.

Hope that helps.

I like this guy. He shows a lot of the good points of traditional training styles. Very clean, very crisp very precise they way it should be in drills.

Peanut, if you watch from 0:00 to 1:15 he explains it pretty well.

Applied to terms in Muay Thai:

You slide the front leg back just slightly so you are out of range. (Similar to how some thai fighters move the front leg back to evade a leg kick.)

The front hand can either catch, scoop, or sweep/parry away the spinning back kick. (Similar to sweeping away a teep)

Follow up with Right Hook as you slide or step in.

Requires some familiarity with striking in switch stances.

The trick is to focus on evading the kick with your footwork rather than relying on the catch, scoop/sweep what have you which is more a formality. Also take into consideration that you do not evade too much to put you out of place to counter.

Hope that helps.

^This!

In regards to the Karate video demonstrating defenses, I coach 2 different counters that utilize the footwork from the 1st two mentods. When use defense #1 (demonstrated in the video), rather than step in with a punch, we simply fire a roundhouse kick with the leg that stepped back out of the way. In regards to #2, we step to the outside angle, but then kick through the support leg with a roundhouse kick.

same same

Back