International ***COVID-19 Breaking News v19: U.S. coronavirus deaths top 100,000***

Status
Not open for further replies.
The majority shows that lockdowns, as an umbrella term for strict mitigation strategies which include closing down non-essential business, lower the rate of transmission. The problem is that there's no single definition, and there's a lot of caveats.

If you're asking whether social distancing, preventing large gatherings and reducing social interaction and mobility lowers the spread, then we don't have to define terms. That would be an unequivocal yes.

Would you mind posting what you find to be the strongest research evidence that lockdowns lower the rate of COVID transmission?

The majority shows that lockdowns, as an umbrella term for strict mitigation strategies which include closing down non-essential business, lower the rate of transmission. The problem is that there's no single definition, and there's a lot of caveats.

If you're asking whether social distancing, preventing large gatherings and reducing social interaction and mobility lowers the spread, then we don't have to define terms. That would be an unequivocal yes.
in theory, you are correct, but that's only theory. Who is to say that if we had a more active lifestyle, that we would be any way off worse? Florida is a highly populated state with one of the most at risk populations. Non essentials open, however, they practice reducing social interaction/social distancing. in my area, there are hardly any infections, I'm more coastal in california, however the inner cities are blowing up..... and it happens to be flu season, so either covid going up or the flu gonna get you.

our coastal cities have insanely low covid issues, and our beaches are packed. it could be that an active lifestyle naturally fends off the virus compared to sitting all day in your apartment. I cant really say with 100% certainty, but it seems plausible. Inner cities are causing the majority of our spikes in SoCal. Keeping people as INACTIVE as possible should be a factor. It could be why covid is less deadly than the flu towards young kids, because they cant sit still.

Would you mind posting what you find to be the strongest research evidence that lockdowns lower the rate of COVID transmission?
yeah, I dont buy that theory. there are too many variables involved.

peoples feelings can influence how sick or well they are.
the sun
stress
blue balls
more toxic time on twitter/FB
isolation

Damn. Hope it's not more infectious or deadly. This keeps getting worse. People in the US have begun to ignore the pandemic as becomes worse.

What blows my mind is, as the deaths are not slowing down, you have politicians like Lightfoot and Cuomo changing their tune from "If it saves just one life!" to "We need to open or the economy will suffer..." It really makes you wonder, what triggered the change of heart?

I'm doing what I've always done. Sanitize frequently, stay in my bubble, keep being around people to essentials. My health is, first and foremost, my responsibility. It's not foolproof, but one can do a lot to take care of themselves.

You didn't clarify what you mean by lockdown. Do that, and we can look.

There's also no strongest evidence, especially with as many variables as this. You have to take all the avaliable data and make an informed decision.

in theory, you are correct, but that's only theory. Who is to say that if we had a more active lifestyle, that we would be any way off worse? Florida is a highly populated state with one of the most at risk populations. Non essentials open, however, they practice reducing social interaction/social distancing. in my area, there are hardly any infections, I'm more coastal in california, however the inner cities are blowing up..... and it happens to be flu season, so either covid going up or the flu gonna get you.

our coastal cities have insanely low covid issues, and our beaches are packed. it could be that an active lifestyle naturally fends off the virus compared to sitting all day in your apartment. I cant really say with 100% certainty, but it seems plausible. Inner cities are causing the majority of our spikes in SoCal. Keeping people as INACTIVE as possible should be a factor. It could be why covid is less deadly than the flu towards young kids, because they cant sit still.
It doesn't seem plausible without any evidence, or physiological plausability. We're simply talking spread of infection here, not death rate. Variables include population density, percieved risk, willingness to comply, number of social contacts, transportation networks, flights, infrastructure, weather/temperature, inside/outside and so on. Florida is an outlier that is doing middlingly well, and why that is would have to be examined in detail. However almost all other states that had similarly mild restrictions are not doing well.

Last edited:
Its supposedly not more dangerous and easily spreadable like the UK one.

The only real concern is if it can bypass the vaccine, which would set the economy back another few months

I keep telling myself that virus mutate to be more infectous to spread but not more deadly b/c they need their hosts alive to spread. Nature 101

What blows my mind is, as the deaths are not slowing down, you have politicians like Lightfoot and Cuomo changing their tune from "If it saves just one life!" to "We need to open or the economy will suffer..." It really makes you wonder, what triggered the change of heart?

I'm doing what I've always done. Sanitize frequently, stay in my bubble, keep being around people to essentials. My health is, first and foremost, my responsibility. It's not foolproof, but one can do a lot to take care of themselves.

How fat are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back