Cub Swanson: The ultimate gatekeeper.

PerpetualWB

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Funny to think people actually thought he deserved a title shot over Frankie Edgar.

I <{1-7}>Cub. They can't all be champions. Doesn't make me any less of a fan.

Last edited:
Always has to be a hater in the crowd.

Eat a D, ts.

Well Bisping was the ultimate gatekeeper 2 years ago so you never know

Classic sherdog.

Before the fight: Cub is a veteran, will beat Ortega, derail his hypetrain

After the fight: Cub is a washed-up bum, Ortega deserves a title-shot immediately over Frankie Edgar

Always been a fan of Cub. Wish he could have gotten a UFC title shot at some point but it sort of feels like tonight was his last opportunity to secure one.

Last edited:
He is, TS is correct.

Cub is the highest level of gatekeeper. Though he has improved over the last couple of years

T-City should get title shot. Frankie fought for it bunch of times already

Cub is awesome, he already derail many prospects and Artem.

Always has to be a hater in the crowd.

Eat a D, ts.
Why should I eat a D for stating a fact? Being a gatekeeper isn't a terrible thing. He could be a scrub or a bum. Gatekeeper is above average. You really test out who is real in the division. Look who has beaten him: Lamas, Aldo, Mendes, Holloway, Edgar, Ortega. Only the best guys, who should/have fought for the title.

Being a gatekeeper is a great accomplishment in an MMA career. Not everyone can be a champion. If anything, not acknowledging him as the ultimate gatekeeper is disrespectful to his legacy.

I’m a big Swanson fan just for the way he fights. Always brings it and is entertaining.

Why do we always have to place a tag on everything?
Perennial Gatekeeper
Contender
Washed up
Etc etc

He’s in the top 5 of the featherweight division. He’s an active fighter too, with another win or 2 he’s right back in the mix. Everybody is always jumping to conclusions here and quick to judge a fighter on his last performance. The negativity is rampant on these boards.

My two cents... well done Cub but you came up short this time, look forward to your next fight man.

im sry but a gatekeeper is not a guy in the top 5-10 of a division

Some of the same people are trashing cub for being one dimensional while simultaneously fellating Ngannou and calling him the greatest thing the sport has ever seen.

I picked Cub this fight didn't see that coming I thought Cub had enough experience to not get cough in something like that.

Cub is more gatekeeper to a title shot, Cub is still up there but he will never get a title shot I said it before I don't want to see him fight for the title,his no match for Max, Frankei and even Aldo. I don't he can beat Lamas at this stage in fact after seeing this fight I think he'll get tapped by Lames again.

Cub is on his way to Bellator.

im sry but a gatekeeper is not a guy in the top 5-10 of a division

That’s true.
A lot of people constantly refer to anyone who isn’t a top contender as a gatekeeper.
Makes no sense.

Gatekeepers are there to keep the riffraff out of the UFC, not to keep the elite fighters out of the Top 10.

That’s true.
A lot of people constantly refer to anyone who isn’t a top contender as a gatekeeper.
Makes no sense.

Gatekeepers are there to keep the riffraff out of the UFC, not to keep the elite fighters out of the Top 10.
I suppose there could be different levels of gatekeeper. Cub is a good top 3 gatekeeper, so if you get past him you earned a title shot. Cub is a top notch fighter and has never lost to a guy who wasn't legit.

Funny how Cub gets no flack for tapping, had that been Conor tapping and saying he thought he was going to die it would be memed to death.

Funny how Cub gets no flack for tapping, had that been Conor tapping and saying he thought he was going to die it would be memed to death.
We shouldn't give him flak for tapping. It's a part of the sport. You have to respect these guys for going in there and at some point when you're in that position, you're wise to acknowledge that you have no way out of the position and can not win.

With that said, a champion would have learned from being saved by the bell in the first round and been more aware of exposing his neck to a choke. Cub failed to do that, which is why he is more of a gatekeeper than a champion.

He's a great fighter, an exciting fighter, and a likable fighter. There is no reason to disparage him just because he has his flaws in the cage. Otherwise, we'd all be in there competing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back