Dan Hooker: I was being a little bitch in the Edson Barboza fight

Hooker being honest that's not his last loss is pretty honest about himself, quoting Chuck Palahniuk: On a long enough time line the survival rate of everyone drops to 0

Props to him for not being a delusional mfer.

He briefly mentioned his previous fight against Barboza, the criticism he received, and why he shouldn’t have to explain his performance.

“It was what it was. There are two people I gave an explanation to in the entire world and that’s my mother and my wife. And besides that, I don’t feel like anyone else is entitled to a genuine explanation. The people that are close enough to me know that to me, it’s just water off a duck’s back. That by far is my first ass-whooping and I can guarantee you it’s not going to be the last one.”

“I thought I was being a little bitch on the night, I was having one of my softer days.”

https://thebodylockmma.com/ufc/dan-hooker-says-he-was-being-a-little-btch-in-edson-barboza-fight/

Gotta agree with Dan here. Most Sherdoggers could have gutted it out to the end of round 3.
Hooker show's incredible heart and then makes these statements. Not saying he will ever be champ but yeah that's a champions mindset. I think a "little bitch" gives up instead of trying to keep fighting like he did.

He seems like a genuine guy but he should not be so harsh on himself, that was one of the worst beatings I have watched and it wasn't because he was soft or anything. It is better to know your limits and tap out to strikes instead of not being able to wipe you ass when you turn 40.

Glad he is finally admitting it, We as fans deserve a profuse public apology now.

If only Rockhold had this mentality
Can't wait to see Hooker in the ring again, reckon he can still crack the top 10

Barboza has that power in his strikes that can make guys freeze and lost focus.

You've gotta have "it" to beat him, or just getl lucky. You can be as technically sound as they come but part of being a great mma fighter is you have to be tough as nails

Hes one of the best gatekeepers in any division. If you're a promising striker... good luck. If you're a promising wrestler... let's see it.

The man came out and tried trading leg kicks with Barboza.
Not the gameplan of a bitch, not a smart one, but not bitch made.

Too tough for his own good.
Exciting fighter, young and hungry, he will get over the Barboza beatdown and be back better than ever.
Can't wait for him to smash Vick into the mud.
Vick is going to embarrass this tomato can and it's going to be glorious.

Not sure that's how I would describe it. Odd strategy but Dan showed a ton of heart.

If you don't pressure Barboza and let your hands go he will fuck you up. Not sure how fighters and their camps still don't realize that.

I was baffled by his gameplan...but I hope he bounces back, he's a much better fighter than that. Should beat Vick.

Hope the beating he took isn't one of those that changes a career

hopefully it changes his career for the better. it seemed like part of his performance was was some need to show toughness or 'put on a show' instead of a smart game plan. excited to see his next fight though

His gameplan was just off.
If you trade shots with Barboza at kicking range, you will get hurt for sure.
Needed to pressure. Its a known fact that Barboza lost to every pressure fighter he faced
If you don't pressure Barboza and let your hands go he will fuck you up. Not sure how fighters and their camps still don't realize that.
It's a bit more complicated than that. Dan Hooker used a ton of boxing in the first round and it didn't work. Melendez (before he looked like shit) pressured hard for three rounds and had no success. Darisuh pressured unbelievably hard and had success, but got KTFO within 7 minutes.

Pressure is the way to beat him, but it's not a guarantee. Just about everyone he fights at least tries to pressure him. Tony Ferguson is probably the best pressure fighter in MMA and look at the shots he had to eat to win.

It's a bit more complicated than that. Dan Hooker used a ton of boxing in the first round and it didn't work. Melendez (before he looked like shit) pressured hard for three rounds and had no success. Darisuh pressured unbelievably hard and had success, but got KTFO within 7 minutes.

Pressure is the way to beat him, but it's not a guarantee. Just about everyone he fights at least tries to pressure him. Tony Ferguson is probably the best pressure fighter in MMA and look at the shots he had to eat to win.

Hooker didn't pressure at all until the last round when his legs were already fucked up. I don't remember how the Melendez fight went but pretty sure he was washed and off steroids at that point. Dariush had the right game plan and was making Barboza uncomfortable, he just got caught. It really is that simple. Having the right game plan doesn't always ensure success, but the way to beat Barboza is obvious and has been for a while now.

criticism? i thought almost everyone praised him for surviving as long as he did, dude took a fucking beating

Back